Lifetime Supporter
A bit bent.

Attachments

• DSCN1072 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    DSCN1072 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,285

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Pete, that is beautiful piece of tube bending - such a perfect curve (I bet you couldn't reproduce that on the bench) !!

Hopefully, there were no other deep-down issues, so you should be back on the road soon (with the rev limiter set to 6000 & line-of-credit set up with your tyre supplier) !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

I'm always amazed at how much punishment Porsche transaxles take.

Pete's pumping out a few horses and runs sizeable(335) rear rubber.

Don't know if Pete has taken his to the drags yet.

But it's common to see a DRB GT40 at the drags up here. Peter Ransom was running his GT40 at Drag Test & Tune just recently. If you see the way they launch them off the line. :D

And the years of racing some of the DRB's have copped over the years.

Certainly gives me some faith in mine...

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Peter, actually it wasn't hard to do at all. The car is already back on the road and everything checked out fine. I took it out for an hour yesterday
and it is at work with me today.
You might be right about re-setting the rev limiter though.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
CraigW said:
I'm always amazed at how much punishment Porsche transaxles take.

Pete's pumping out a few horses and runs sizeable(335) rear rubber.

Don't know if Pete has taken his to the drags yet.

But it's common to see a DRB GT40 at the drags up here. Peter Ransom was running his GT40 at Drag Test & Tune just recently. If you see the way they launch them off the line. :D

And the years of racing some of the DRB's have copped over the years.

Certainly gives me some faith in mine...

Craig, no drags as yet but you are right about the transaxle, they cop plenty.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Happy Birthday

Just got the rego renewal for #48 which was first registered in August last year. Time flies when you are having fun. 1 year, 6800 Klm's, no trouble except for a driver induced pushrod failure and a fantastic load of fun.
Let's hope I'm still driving it in 20 years time. (scary thought, fastest geriatric in the nursing home).

Attachments

• DSCN0501.jpg
    DSCN0501.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,272
Pete I never get tired of looking at your car. IF my son wasn't with me when I was in Queensland I would have been begging shamelessly for a ride. I might have to arrange another trip to catch up with Shooter.

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter
A year already??

Gees Pete

I can't believe you've been on the road for a year already.... Time does fly.
I hope to have mine on the road before the year is out, so maybe next March 18th, we can catch up the the Australian F1 GP with our respective vehicles???

Watching you have fun in that gorgeous car is all the inspiration I need!

Cheers

Bill.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
JackW you are welcome anytime.

Bill we have booked already for the F1 in March, but will be catching the big bird. How is your progress going?

Craig, is there an easy way I can find out about the drags and events in general? I seem to find out about them when they are over.

One of my friends asked me after the year was up if there was anything I would have changed during the build in retrospect?

The answer is not much, but 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. I should have done a lot more research and decided exactly what I wanted up front rather than changing things during the build, adding I reckon about six months to the construction time and a lot to Pr's frustration.

I went initially with the Corvette brakes and ended up upgrading to DRB's Harrop big brakes, expensive but saving a lot on laundry bills.

I would have fitted electric power steering and still will when I find a suitable unit. (Not required unless you have had a total shoulder replacement).

The only other thing I will change are the Supertraps, they do the job fine, but I just do not like the look.

Apart from that very happy, are any of you coming up for Indy?

Attachments

• arriving home 13-10-05 003 (Small) (2).jpg
    arriving home 13-10-05 003 (Small) (2).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,076

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Full Noise said:
G'day Pete,
This has been a very enjoyable thread to read, some great pics too.

Cheers,
Danny
Thanks Danny I have had a lot of fun doing it and have met some great people along the way.
The GT40 and Cobra fraternity are are terrific mob.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
What size are those front rotors Pete? I'll show you mine now that I've seen yours.Yes I agree your car looks really nice.Whats all this about finding track events are over just when you find out about them? sounds like me after I rolled the 240z at Phillip Island.Took me a couple of hours at the next outing to jump back in the seat.Are you scared? you should be, these cars are damn fast but fear is good because that's what keeps you alive. We all have it but keeping it under control is the secret.
Ross:D

Pete,

At least those brakes solve the spare wheel issue. Pull off a wheel and drive home on the rotor.

Seriously, though, with brakes of that capacity you don't ever get them warmed up in road use. Hope you don't need to use soft brake pads which put grey dust all over the wheels constantly.

Cheers

Dalton

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
:lol: Ross, I get scared just getting out of bed in the morning. My racing days are well and truly over.
What my question was, does someone know of a calendar of track days/sprints or how I can find out when they are on and who runs them especially at QLD Raceway.

Dalton you are right they don't get hot with normal driving especially as the car is so light, so I am now over braked but the Corvette set up I was not happy with. (It scared me Ross) I have changed to softer pads because of squeal but it's real easy to drop a set of hard pads back in when required. Their is no more problem with pad dust than normal.

Last edited:
Back