Warts and all GT40 Australia #48

Re: GT40 Australia #48

Pete, I know nothing. This is a great way to learn. I've been reading all the different posts and am slowly soaking up the information. I am sure like everyone else here it's like watching a youngster growing up and taking his first step. Good luck Dad. It looks like he's going to grow up big and strong and kick some butt.
Too bad you can't have a party for him and have everyone send him a present. A tire, a seat or anything else a growing boy could use.
I will watch his progress with lots of interest.
Uncle Steve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Great Idea about the presents Uncle Steve, how about a couple of Pirelli P Zero's 335/35/17 to start with?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete,
I was looking all over for this thread. I just couldn't remember in what section it was in. I see from your message that he needs tires. I was thinking more along the lines of a trust. Something he could cash out when he is 21.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Uncle Steve

This may go along with your info about the roll bar, I am "attempting" to put a cage in my car (DRB#5). As most will figure out, with the spider in place it is going to be a difficult proposition. Looking at your frame pictures just gave me an idea. Rather than put the cage "into" the car, I may use the rear hoop and attach it to the front hoop through the cabin/engine bay divider. Welding pieces that are in the car will be difficult as you can't reach all the way around the tubes. The front hoop can be angled such that the bars can be welded and then put is place while in the car. Then the rear tubes can be welded in giving me a 6 point cage. The rear cabin glass is out of the car so even if I have to cut the fiberglass to get it in, that can easily be fixed. Did not mean to steal the thread, but you gave me the idea and other DRB guys may want the info. Thanks
Bill

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Some progress and a lot of dust.

Attachments

• 30499-Picture 011.jpg
    30499-Picture 011.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,297

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

And more dust /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 30501-Picture 010.jpg
    30501-Picture 010.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,458

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Hi Bill, I retro-fitted the standard roll hoop & rear braces to my DRB. It was not all that hard to do - only cutting half-circles out of the beam that runs across the car under the rear window was a challenge. I solved the welding problem by getting a professional to TIG it all in place.

One thing you might like to check though - our local racing authorities (CAMS) apparently have some weird rule that states that the roll hoop has to be "inside the cabin of the car" (just for serious racers, not club events, etc). I understand that one guy here in Oz actually built a false bulkhead behind the roll hoop to meet this rule.

It might be worth checking this out with your local racing bodies - it would be a real bitch to do the bulhead after the car was finished !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Body is now attached to the chassis and ready to go for pre
paint preparation. Anyone enjoy bogging and sanding?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 31785-gt40-1.jpg
    31785-gt40-1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,342

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Hi Pete,

It is looking great - things should go in leaps & bounds from here.

When are you expecting to take delivery (& what engine are you going to use)?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Paul the warts I refer to indicate my intention to show all aspects of the build not just the pretty pics. Hence the pics of the welding and the body covered in dust etc.I certainly intend
to build the prettiest car I can given budget and time constraints. I am agonizing over what colour to paint it at the moment. I am leaning towards the Mazda RX8 red which has a subtle metalflake in it and white stripes, I have only changed my mind about a dozen times so far. Any ideas?
Took delivery of my wheels Simmons three piece.

Attachments

• 32498-wheels.jpg
    32498-wheels.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,526

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Pete,

It is looking great - things should go in leaps & bounds from here.

When are you expecting to take delivery (& what engine are you going to use)?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

[/ QUOTE ]Peter the engine is a Ford (of course)302 stroked
to 350 cubic inches 9.9:1 compression ratio, Trick Flow twisted wedge aluminium heads, D.C.&O E.F.I. Autronic computor. Fully balanced and blueprinted. I am worried about
the latest emmission rules but hope we will pass. QLD hopefully is not as tough as NSW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Pete, sounds like a pretty fierce engine - serious fun !

My setup is stock 302, AFR heads, DC&O 8-stack & Autronic - not heaps different from yours, but smaller capacity.

We are having a devil of a time meeting the ADR37/01 emission rules - all the experts agree that it can be done, but it is the time required for calibration that is the killer. We have got all the "steady state" stuff sorted, but it is the "transients" that are tricky. The current "IM240" short/hot drive cycle test is designed to give an indication as to whether the engine would pass the full ADR37/01 test - the IM240 is a 2 min up & down through the gears, steady driving, trailing throttle, mild acceleration (we got no more than 15% throttle opening / 3000 rpm to meet the worst). Its the gear changes & trailing throttle that are the challenges for keeping things at stoich 14.7:1. We have now managed to get it to stay in closed-loop in the area of interest, but the little transient excursions are the nasty ones.

If things don't make it here in time (I have an extension of ADR37/01 till 17 March, after which ADR79/00 kicks in), I'll probably be shipping the car up to QLD - my understanding is that if you have an "stock engine" less tha 5 years old, the QLD bureaucrats will automatically give it a tick for emsissions - no testing. It might be worth keeping in touch with Peter Ransom - his own car has an engine much like mine & he is about to go through the emissions issues. The big thing will be whether they will just accept an engine number that dates the block, or whether they judge it to be "modified", & if so, what testing is required.

Perhaps we will all need to chip in for a stock engine which has plenty of spare metal where the engine numbers are stamped !!!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Peter, agreed we all love the bureaucrats. I will be seeing
Peter Ransom on Saturday at the sizzle. I know he has been doing some heavy duty lobbying with the local powers that
be. If I learn anything new I will post it here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter

"Oh for Petes sake." Damn near $800 for an-al registration in Q'land, but after reading all the stories of dealings with the transport authorities to get the new ones thru ,I'm beginning to really appreciate that $800 now--Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back