Warts and all GT40 Australia #48

Re: GT40 Australia #48

Peter D,
I went through the IM240 at Penrith late last year with a Suzuki Hayabusa powered clubman (see pic). We had numerous attempts and kept failing. We got to the stage of trimming the Motec on the RTA roller during the test. We just couldn't bring down the THC's. It actually turned out to be fuel vapour coming out the gasket around the sender unit! This was sucked into the test hose and giving the false high HC readings. Once we cured the fuel/vapour leaks we creamed it. It is probably not your problem, but still something to look at. We got the RTA guy to run the sucker while we just had the fuel pump going , this is how we found the extra THC readings. Best of luck, i share in your frustration.
I would dearly love to be starting a GT40 now, but i really fear the registration process aint going to get easier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Tim, I know what you mean about vapour leaks - I had them from both filler necks & these were found by the really nice guy at RTA who ran the sucker over the whole car. With that fixed, the THC's went down dramatically (but not enough).

With my now perfect 20:20 hindsight, I would have been better off just ordering a turnkey unpainted registered car & then pulling it aoart to change what I wanted. It would have been cheaper, both in terms of car parts & "expert's" time, and in terms of Vallium consumption !!

I think that new GT40 starters should be ok - both GT40 Australia & RF now seem to be able to offer cars which will take new ADR79/00 engines. It is just us poor buggers who are "nearly there" who have got clobbered !

Was Trevor Booth your engineer (I seem to recall him mentioning a Suzuki-powered clubman) ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Peter, I spoke with Peter Ransom at the "sizzle" yesterday,
His car passed the emission tests O.K., but the decibels from the exhaust system were about double allowed. (I thought the car sounded great) An easier fix than emission levels though. I also found out about and got a copy of a paper released by Queensland Transport on 11 December 2003 which deals specifically with Individually Constructed vehicles. It reads in part,"QT will accept an engine that complies with the ADR applicable up to five years prior prior to the time of approval". At least we have that in writing now to show the nice Inspector. It may make things a little easier.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Thanks Pete, I guess that the acid test is just how QT defines "an engine that complies with the ADR applicable up to five years prior prior to the time of approval". Will they just accept an engine number that dates the block / will they look at any mods / will they include the full system (incl CATS), etc.

The frustration of having a 100% driveable '40 in the garage & not being able to drive it is getting to me !

Any chance of getting a copy of the QT paper on ICV's ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter,
My engineer was Peter Smith at Camden. I actually live at Narellan not far from the boys at DC&O. I also have a feeling that i know the guy who owned your car previously. A mate of my dad's has a cobra and blue GT40. I've seen the car a few times. He was building a DRB kit, and got the sh*ts with it , and bought a turnkey off DC&O. Sounds like him?

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Tim, that's Dave Sutty all right - when I bought his "reject" from DC&O, they gave me a video of the completed car that they sold him. I watch the video about once a month - it keeps me sane !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Peter,no problems I will E-mail it to you tomorrow when I get to the office /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Pete, thanks mate - it won't require too much more of this NSW bureaucratic crap (and Bob "Adolf" Carr) to set us thinking of moving north - more bloody immigrants !!

Perhaps we could arrive in QLD as "boat people" - refugees from NSW in a landing craft carrying wife, kids, dog & a GT40 under a tarpaulin !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter

Pete D .Been watching your posts with interest.Hasn't Sydney been voted the most popular Gay community in Aus??Maybe that explains the issues with transport dept's?
probably a good reason to move north-- and you have a good sense of humour-- this is DRB territory and we're ready for FUN! Keep up the good work.
Cheers Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Peter, I am a refugee from Sydney also. And have never regretted the move North. The Queenslanders stop treating you like a carpetbagger after about 10 years, quicker if you learn to drink xxxx and yell QUEEEENSLANDEEER!! at State of origin games. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif When you get here we will have a bikini blonde and a coldie waiting for you and a champers and a lifesaver for the Missus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Pete,
I have asked Peter Delany, and I'll ask you as well since your roll bar is a factory installed unit. How did they handle the rear supports through the rear clip. Is that part braced in any way. I will have to cut the panels in mine to get them on the frame near where yours are. My concerns are that it will make the rear clip a little more flimsey. Raising and lowering the clip by myself is an easy job, and I don't want it to flex while doing so. My exhaust stick out too far for me to mount mine as high as yours. Guess that is the difference in the 351 and the 302. In any event if you could post or send me some pics of the rear clip where your rear post go through it would be very helpful.
Bill

Looking at your frame details, are you going to leave your engine mounts where the factoy put them. There is a lot of room to move them forward and I am strongly considering that.What are your thoughts. Are any other DRB's considering that as well?
Bill

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Bill, The rear clip is cut away to allow for the roll bar
which is braced to the Chassis.(See pic earlier in this thread).It does not flex at all when you open it. There is no room to move the engine forward, in fact there is an indent in the firewall to allow the pulleys on the front of the engine to fit.I spoke to Peter Ransom at DRB about your questions and he said if you would like to e-mail him at [email protected] he is happy to answer any questions
you might have.
Engine is nearly ready /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 33174-RIMG0004.JPG
    33174-RIMG0004.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,486

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Chris - you are right, Sydney has been voted the Gay capital of the world ! If I had the energy, that should actually be a great situation as it should improve the odds for crook-looking straight guys like me ! However, advancing years & the wonderful experience of a previous divorce make it academic !!

Pete, the offer of bikini-clad blondes (can't afford / pretending I'm not interested) & champers / lifesavers for Karen (she will not be told about that !) - all very tempting. The XXXX would be easy - I'm already addicted to that, but the other bits could be very expensive !!

Bill - The attached pic shows the cutouts that I did for the retro-fit. As Pete says, there is no change to the rigidity of the clip at all, & he is right about no room to move the engine forward at all (I actually took 1/8" extra out of the recess for the w/pump pulley after hearing a grinding sound under heavy braking - the engine must have moved forward about 1/32" which was just enough to have the pulley bolts machine a nice little arc in the back of the engine cover).

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• 33240-Roll Bar Cutout.jpg
    33240-Roll Bar Cutout.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,334
Back