Weird car build idea, help...

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Ok,
I have an idea. Let's play virtual garage and build a car. Here's the concept...

Mid engine, rear drive, 1969 Mustang Fastback

Say, it's for a SEMA project.

Now, here's my thoughts:

Chassis - Pantera parts car
Body - 1969 Fastback (with rusted floorpans)
Engine - 351-W
Trans - Pantera RBT, Porsche G50, or Ricardo

I know some of you have Pantera's. What are the measurements from the rear firewall to the CV shaft centers? Also, what's the length of the engine and transaxle combo?

Now, I know some of you have 1969 & 1970 Fastback Mustangs too. What's the length from the back of the seat to the rear axle center?

I've already gotten all the measurements for track width, wheelbase, etc. They're very VERY close. Seriously, wanna see?

...................Mustang........Pantera

Width -............72"..............72.4"

Height -...........47"..............43.7"

Wheelbase -.....108"............99.6"

Length -..........187"............168.5"

Track - F -.......66"
...........R -.......61.8"

Don't have track width measurements for the Pantera. LOL Wanna get those for me too?

Laters,

Brian

Seriously, I do it the same way the Corvair guys did the Corv-8:

Remove the Mustang's rear seat.
Fabricate a new firewall behind the front seats.
Fabricate a new chassis sub frame to reinforce the Mustang's rear seat/trunk area.
Move the fuel tank from trunk to hood.

Chopping up a Pantera to do to get the Mustang body to fit would be more difficult and expensive.

Ian

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Ian,
Yes, that was the original idea. You're right, probably easier too.

Blueovals,
Yeah, but I'm not going after that kind of look. I'd much rather it look like a concept Mustang done correctly. Very little exterior body mods that will be noticeable.

The only real body mods are:
- Rear quarter windows angled inwards like the Ferrari F40 to duct air into the engine bay
- Side scoops near rear tires made larger and opened up to engine bay
- Rear tail light panel opened up with a honeycomb mesh like the F40 but retaining the look of the Mach 1 tail light panel.

That would be really about all the body mods anyone would notice. I really just have to get measurements to see if this would work or not. I really don't want to stretch the frame of the Mustang as that would not look right.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Google "Ford Mach 2 concept" and you will see what Ford did.

You could use a new Dynacorn body and skip the "rusted floorplan" deal. And a Pantera "Chassis" will not work as the Pantera is a unibody. Ford used the Mustang convertible to build the Mach as the rocker panels are stronger with an extra inside heavy structure for strength. They came off the rockers with the structure to mount the engine/transaxle.

We have a poster here who worked on the car at Ford and has numerous pictures. Do some searching.....

Ian,
Yes, that was the original idea. You're right, probably easier too.

The only real body mods are:
- Rear quarter windows angled inwards like the Ferrari F40 to duct air into the engine bay
- Side scoops near rear tires made larger and opened up to engine bay
- Rear tail light panel opened up with a honeycomb mesh like the F40 but retaining the look of the Mach 1 tail light panel.

That would be really about all the body mods anyone would notice. I really just have to get measurements to see if this would work or not. I really don't want to stretch the frame of the Mustang as that would not look right.

I am pretty sure there is enough room between the front seat and the back of the car.
The side scoops can be modified with replica Shelby GT350/500 scoops:

1968 Shelby GT350 Fastback Front Photo - Mustang & Fords Magazine Article at Automotive.com

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/data/3232/1967_Ford_Mustang_Fastback_Shelby_GT500_02.JPG

http://67mustangblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/1967_shelby_gt350_auction_1_small.jpg

Maybe widen them a tad. Notice the scoops on the rear quarter windows as well.

You might even have room for a crossover exhaust :)

Ian

Back