What is Your favourite Movie and Why?

Keith

I have always wanted to ask this.

Which is your favourite movie - not only for the entertainment value - but which movie depicts a hero - key figure or even a MESSAGE YOU WOULD MOST LIKE TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH or carries a message that hits the spot and that you consciously or subconsciously identify with. One that perhaps reflects the dissatisfaction in your life or the failure to reach personal goals or indeed a heroic performance based on the Achievements of the Seemingly Impossible!

I do not expect many true and honest answer to be fair - it just might be a little too close to home for some, but I promise i will 'fess up and tell you mine after a couple of replies.

Not wanting to be the SOLE provider of entertainment here!

Go for it....I think it will be illuminating. Cast of thousands. Thrills & Spills! :laugh:

Off the top of my head, I don't have one particular film that comes out on top. Some of my very favourite films are (in no particular order)

The Shawshank Redemption
The Wrong Man
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Metropolis
Lawrence of Arabia
El Cid

Keith

Bloody thread drifter... :furious:

Ask for one and get ten.

Or, is there a common theme? One of the problem is that I am not a rectangular screen aficionado so, I may not have seen them. Is there a common theme?

They seem bit er, diverse. You've got to pick one which you identify with but you don't have to say why.

Off the top of my head, I don't have one particular film that comes out on top. Some of my very favourite films are (in no particular order)

The Shawshank Redemption
The Wrong Man
Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Metropolis
Lawrence of Arabia
El Cid

Edited to add one more (how did I forget), Withnail & I

here's my favourite quote from Withnail & I:

"I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hairs are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight."

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I often feel a little like Group Captain Mandrake, trying very hard to reason with a heavely armed dillusinal person.

In the end, dispite his best effort, he was unable to stop the slaughter that comes with way too much weaponry.

Sound familiar?

But Keith, you must keep in mind the location and fate of Geo. Jeffreys on the 18th of April in the year 1689. Retribution. It may have been prevented had he not stopped in a pub.

Keith

The best movie ever written, the one to compare to all others to when doing the "best movie" subject is "China Town." Bar none.

It's a good movie right enough but for me, a wincing turn off. Why?

I broke my nose twice, two weeks running, in the same place doing the same thing. I just cannot watch it - the pain, the goddamned pain!

Keith

But Keith, you must keep in mind the location and fate of Geo. Jeffreys on the 18th of April in the year 1689. Retribution. It may have been prevented had he not stopped in a pub.

Arrrrrrr and thems that die will be the LUCKY ones......Yeearrrrrrrrr..

(I'm sure they didn't ALL talk like that, but it IS almost the West Country where there be poirates mate...)

Pubs, yes, many a good man's downfall but a good place to drown your sorrows afterwards and for ever.

Me? I drink to forget. But there's a problem.

Damned well forgot what I was drinking to forget about..,.:shifty:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I used to go the the ABC Minors on Saturday morning in Cambridge.
I thought Zorro was rather good.
I can't remember the name of his horse which will annoy me for the rest of the evening.
Just got back from Ken High Street. I spent about three hours walking up and down just glingin.
Some really beautiful girls.
Glingin =Ogling

Last edited:
Back