What paint to use on radiator pipes

Hi all

I am going to have a go at painting the end of my copper radiator pipes today and wondered what type of spray paint and primer I should use. Do I need to use high temperature paint or will regular automotive spray paint work as I am not sure how hot these pipes get?

Thanks

Trev

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Trev, I would use just about any high quality enamel paint after first doing a full cleanup with a scotchbrite pad and using an etching primer..

Howard Jones

Supporter
I used this stuff on a set of headers. I has held up pretty well. Even near the heads exhaust ports. The key is wire brush first, then scuff them up with 600 grit sandpaper and perfectly clean with brake clean.

Warm the pipes up in the sun. Don't get nuts, about 80 degrees F is fine. Light coat. Let dry for a hour or so and one more light coat. Too much paint and it will not work as well.

I think it would work well on copper water pipes. Cheap to try, lots of colors.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vht-sp117/overview/

Trev, I would use just about any high quality enamel paint after first doing a full cleanup with a scotchbrite pad and using an etching primer..

Think I am going to go with some high temperature enamel spray paint and etching primer. Does the ecthing primer need to be high temperature resistant too or will a standard etching primer do the job?

Trev

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Standard etching primer will be fine Trev. The high temp stuff would only be required if going over 5-600 degrees F. You better be well below that...

Beyond 120 degrees C and you're going to have engine issues. I'd aim for everything being rated for 150 degrees which gives you plenty of leeway.

Beyond 120 degrees C and you're going to have engine issues. I'd aim for everything being rated for 150 degrees which gives you plenty of leeway.

hmm, the standard etching primers are rated to 100 degrees I believe so would I need some higher temperature stuff? I was looking at using this stuff
U-POL :: or halfords standard etch primer but not sure if they will be suitable?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Trev, we may be over thinking it a bit, but it's always good to be prepared..

Frankly I would have just cleaned up the pipes, wipe them down with acetone or lacquer thinner, then fogged them with an etching primer as below, and top coated with my favorite color enamel and be done with it.

Eastwood Self-Etching Weld-Thru Primer

Most engine paints are good for higher temps, but still will discolor in areas around exhaust ports. I've used normal enamels on engine blocks, intake manifolds and cylinder heads for years with no issues of flaking or otherwise save for the discoloration around exhaust ports which is well beyond the temp range of coolant piping.

Get on with it.

Yes sir!

Before:
build-july1.jpg

After:
build-july2.jpg

Installed:
build-july3.jpg

Will lacquer tomorrow to give a bit more gloss and shine

Trev

Back