What type of exhaust coating?

What is your preference for exhaust coating? This is going to be on a car that has a race engine and will see considerable track time. I need some thermol protection but I still want it to look good. I have a polished RCR chassis and a red car with white stripe with Rondals all pinstriped in black. Any thoughts? Maybe headerwrap?

Pat

Supporter
I put DEI black header wrap on my car and the under deck temps dropped significantly. When you first put it on it will give your car an "interesting" aroma. So make sure you warm them up outside and down the street.

A drag racer friend pointed me to an advanced header wrap that has silicon impregnation and comes in a variety of colors. I've never used it but it should have more eye appeal than the plain wrap. It looks interesting.

Here is a website: Colored header and exhaust wrap

No affiliation with any of these folks.

This doesn't have to be scientific. I am just looking for opinions. What do you like? Do you like the shiney stuff, Black, White or wrapped? Has anyone had trouble with the wrapped headers?

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Matt black ceramic coating! rockonsmile

engine.jpg

The ceramic burnt and flaked from my headers. They were silver, don't know if they went over temp, or if it was a preparation issues, so I sandblasted them and shot on some VHT Flameproof, we'll see how that holds up.

I do prefer the flat black appearance over the silver though, to each his own.

Brian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Brian - If your ceramic coating flaked off it was likely because the surface prep had not been done properly or had been compromised before the coating took place.

Is there a problem with "wrapping" headers? Not really but I can tell you that you will get a substantial reduction in radiant heat from the headers, but you'll also see a corresponding "shortening" of the header's lifespan caused by the retained heat crystallizing (not sure if that's the correct metalurgical term) of the steel.. If there is any inherent stress on the exhaust system, it will have a tendancy to crack and fail at the point of stress concentration. Trying to weld stel that has gone through this process and failed is a crap-shoot at best - even with the best TIG system and experienced operator..

That said - I've wrapped headers that were Ceramic coated inside and out and had very good long-term results in both the reduction of radiant heat as well as the lifespan of the headers.. Maybe because the internal coating of the headers allowed less heat to be absorbed into the steel to begin with..

Oh yes - I would me remiss if I did not warn you about what comes out the tail-pipes of a system wrapped like this. FLAMES and lots of them - particularly in carbureted applications where the fuel is not shut off to the engine during deceleration as it typically is in the injected engines..

I used Swain coating on my system. It is an off white color and has a sandpaper feeling surface. It has held up well over 3 or 4 years with only a little flaking of the coating where the tight radius turns in the system on 1 and 5 cylinders exist.

Racing Coatings - engine piston coatings, ceramic coating services engine, automotive ceramic coating, ceramic header coating, dry film lubricant, race engine coatings, exhaust header coating, bearing coating, coating valve, brake coating rotor, moto

Dave

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Dean,

No two ways about it -- coat the headers. The difference, both in header life span and under hood temperature is huge.

Any way you do it, though - just drive it! :)

Best,

T.

Hey Dean,

It was good to see you in Tulsa but next year I expect to see you in your new car. :)

I prefer ceramic over header wrap. Matte black looks good and will last a long time, silver also looks good but will dull over time and need to be polished. Most places will also coat the insides of the header tubes if you ask.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Good string Dean.....

Randy... I kinda like the flames aspect. Heck....worth wrapping just for that.:D

I have stainless headers and use WD40 on them to give them that beautiful gold glow,however if I were being more practical, I would silver ceramic coat inside and out and then wrap with black header wrap. This would most likely give the best under hood temps and still look good and racey. I think the life span would be longer than you are likely to have the car. I would , and plan to do, a heat shield under the mufflers and on top. I feel the tranny gets too hot from the radiant heat from the mufflers.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
This is my old SCCA A/S Camaro.. Exhaust system is wrapped front to rear...

This shot was taken during the 3rd to 4th gear shift at ~6800 RPM..

When decelerating, the flame would light up the whole undercarriage in broad daylight.. More than once I was called to the pit-steward after the race to listen to complaints about how my car looked like it was going to 'SPLODE!!! :D

Attachments

• trixmoneyshot_0001.jpg
    trixmoneyshot_0001.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 417

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Ceramic silver they go that sort of grey colour after you get a bit of heat throught them.

Attachments

• DSCN1259.jpg
    DSCN1259.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 418

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Uncoated stainless, all the way. Sometime back there was a thread, stainless transfers less heat. Almost to the point they are equal to coated steel. And they last the life of the car.

Back