What was the most difficult part of your build?

I'm just curious, but what parts of your build left you scratching your head, gave you a headache, or just left you stumped? I hear the doors are difficult to hinge in place but I'm sure there's more difficult things. I just want to know the battles I'll be facing someday when I purchase my kit.

For me the big pain was the fibreglass: adding and subtracting substantial amounts in places and getting the doors to fit and work properly. Dust everywhere. For me the fibreglass took several iterations because things seemed to be fitting together reasonably well, then I would work on something else, then I would realise that the fibreglass needed improving, etc. It went on for months.

Jon

I think the lack of space, you look at an open frame and you think you have room.
But as time progresses you realise the space you thought you had doesn’t exist anymore.
A 40 is a very compact car and you need to plan ahead.
Assembly’s that need servicing from time to time need to be accessible or the overlayed components need to be removable.
It seems simple but to achieve it you need to be a little cunning, I found this made me use the grey matter between my ears.
If you are stumped leave it and think about it for a few days.

Personally I think if the inexperianced was to do fiberglass as the first stage of the build it would be difficult.
I think the same person at the end of the build would have less issues because of the amount of learning along the way makes you patient.

Jim

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Doors and Spider alignment were the largest PITA I have had to deal with in order to take a non symmetrical car and make it more symmetrical.

Next in line would be door latches and releases.

Next in line is the creation of real duct work rather than just cutting out the rear of the NACA ducts or painting them black and calling it good.

My own picky standards are mostly to blame. Most people would have just skipped (and many have) many of the things I have done and saved themselves a lot of time - money - headache... There are others like me here though and I tip my hat to them - but I bow down deeply before the scratch builders. Particularly those that are forming their own bodywork as well...

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Absolutely has to be bodywork/paint: This was my first foray into this whole car building thing and I had never done any. I added, subtracted and things multiplied. I wanted a flared rear clip so I got some flares, during the alignment phase I over-trimmed places, during the painting phase... well, I ended up doing it twice. The biggest thing is patience to deal with it all.

Most of everything else is a mechanical assembly and someone, somewhere on this forum can point you in the proper direction. It's an amazing support group. If you're up for learning many new things, it's a fantastic project (I now own a mill, lathe, AC/DC TIG and have used them all productively for this project and others).

Another difficult thing is getting all the proper parts to work correctly with each other- from finding weatherstripping and the windshield wiper arm, to getting my gauges to work with the senders, to having proper bolts and nuts for the job. There are a number of things which I've done/bought multiple times because I thought they would work, and it turns out they didn't. But we're not building this car to save money...

In all, it's an incredible project but it's an incredible commitment. I just got mine registered (May '12) and have a whopping ~200 miles on it so far. I picked it up in Jan '07... I did have some life things happen during that span and it is my first project of this nature so the duration is understandable. Others have finished their builds in less time than it took me to prep for paint- the first time. Take the time to enjoy the build, I guarantee you will enjoy the drive!

Chris

What? On your Missus? Yeah, I reckon that would be painful....

Well no...but Womens bodies are a lot like fibreglass...they sag if you don't look after them...

One of the best points for DRB kits are the bodies are fitted and gapped.....no swearing or cursing........

This RF I have now is teaching me a lesson or two in fibreglass placement. Most kit suppliers will fit the body for you if asked....Which is a very good idea.

Back