JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

Attachments

• Sloper-1.jpg
    Sloper-1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 196

Jim Dewar

Supporter
1955 VW, 36hp, 4 speed, black exterior with red leather (the last year before vinyl was discovered by the Germans). It failed me almost daily forcing me to become a motorhead.

Renault LeCar. It was a fun car, especially since my friends could stand up out the roll back roof and B-A other friends when driving past......

Attachments

• Renault LeCar.jpg
    Renault LeCar.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 207
After steering tractors since I was four, I was about to get my license at age 15 in Palmerston North NZ when we moved to Melbourne Australia and I had to wait til 18. Drove Dad's MG Magnette until it was totalled in a fatal accident. It was not Dad's fault, and he survived with bruising thanks to the seat belts I had made him fit. Then we got a Morris Minor 1000 two door which I drove everywhere, tuned, lowered, fitted a radio and insulation, shortened the gear lever, fitted traction rods, copper exhaust, radial tyres, three point seat belts, etc. Loved that car. First car I actually bought, as a penniless Uni student, was a very rusty old Rover 90 with leather upholstery, free-wheel device (what were they thinking?), and an under-dash tool kit tray. Grand motoring, but I had to support the passenger door (rust) whenever I let my girlfriend in or out, and service station attendants who knew me came running saying they'd fill it up with oil, and check the petrol. Soon traded that on a robust TR3A, and started my downhill slide as a motor-head.

I was 16 and it was a 1966 Chevelle, green with a horrid gold interior....but it was FREE, all I had to do was chop it out of the weeds, find some wheels for it and put it together. In the process I bomb canned the interior black with vinyl spray, removed all the moldings and painted it orange. Didn't look too dissimilar from this picture here...except this one has all it's moldings. Two speed slip and slide automatic...yick. By the time I was 19 I was well on my way to building a 327 Chevy powered 914.......I got this sickness early.

Attachments

• 2118783318_aa61384414.jpg
    2118783318_aa61384414.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 148
i've still got my '72 Toyota Corolla TE27 . I put at least 300,000miles on it , and rebuilt the engine half dozen times . Started as a 1600 2TC . A Hemi which was taken from Chryslers 231 Hemi . Currently it is about 2000 , using a 1800 crank and about 110 over bore .
290 duration and 507 lift on the cam , 10.66:1 , and pretty quick . The metal termites have gotten in to the thing badly , and suspension parts are hard to come by , So it is sitting in the back yard waiting on me to get it going again , It could happen

!959 Austin Healy bug-eyed sprite - taught me about oversteer in full size cars, thank God I had been racing karts before that and had the necessary reflexes to stay alive. Also learned the awful truth about Lucas ('be home before dark') electrical systems.

50 years ago ! Singer 9 Le Mans, listed in the MOTOR SPORT magazine as one of the team cars to go to LM in 1934 ( not race though ) Bought for £50 and sold at the start of the Ministry MOT test as no chance of passing and no funds to repair it. Frank

Attachments

• first car.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 165
MG -TA bought in 1959 and run till it dropped followed by a TC TB and TF1500 in fact all the 'T' types except TD.

Steve

1968 Firebird 400 bought in 1983 at age 15 for $500.
After 15K+ and a lot of Blood, Sweat, Black Widow bites, and Tears I had a car worth 6K.

I learned many things the hard way but in the grand scheme of things they turned out to be valuable life lessons that continue to help me.

It's got over 300K miles and has been in a barn for many years now but I still have it.

It will rise again from the ashes as it is a Firebird, as soon as I'm done being deployed to Afghanistan.

Yes Thanks Bret

I lusted after (1967) Firebird 400 when I was a kid, I still think they look great and would make a sweet 'pro touring' car.

Best of luck to you.

First was a 1964 Ford Falcon Sprint - 260 v8, 4 speed & bucket seats - copper color, balck interior - eventually had a 289 dropped into it. Absolutely loved the car.

Loaned it to my sister-in-law and she wrapped it around a telephone pole - - - STILL hate the Bi%$h

Back