What Would You Change?

Well, have finally decided to leave Oz and move to the good old US of A with my American wife and our two spoilt Beagles - plan to arrive Feb/March 2011. The US DOT has told me I can't bring my beloved Maserati with me, so my baby is up for sale, along with the house and all our 240v electricals, plasma TV and beer!

This leaves me no option but to go see Fran once we settle and order a deluxe plus kit. But first I would really love to know a couple of things from all you experienced RCRers:

A: for a very quick road car that will see some track time, what bits would you add/change/modify/delete from the kit if you were doing it again?

B: your thoughts on engine choice (has to be a Ford!), given - naturally aspirated or injected, around 500hp - how does the aluminator stack up? With the light weight of the car, I don't think torque is an issue, but I rather fancy a high HP small block that likes a bit of a rev!

One other point - RCR - Race Car Replicas. In my book, a replica is a copy of something, kind'a like your aunt getting some water colours and copying the Mona Lisa one rainy afternoon, you know, that sort of thing. If someone custom designs something that is way better, quicker, safer, out-handles and is stronger than the original design, is it still a replica, or more like a recreation? Maybe Race Car Recreations? Just a thought!

Thanks for your help

Cheers
Greg

I appreciate the fact people like replicas. There is nothing wrong with that at all. I had a girl friend once, even thought she liked her original breasts, she went and had replicas implanted. I had no complaints and enjoyed them as much as her. There you go!

RM

Just like the replica cars ....... replica chests are getting better with the improvement in technology and methodology :) But some factions term these improvemnts "bolt ons"

A replica car is still a real car.
Still prefere the original ( if not so perfect ) look and feel on the chest topic.

Greg i assume you are aiming at a RCR 40. Take a look at all the RCR build logs. You can find cars very much built to the RCR standard, using all the parts supplied and creating a very fine car ( like Chucks, Ron´s, Robs RCR). You can also find a build like mine which has a lot of modification to it, but still this car is using all the RCR supplied parts, actually I can not think of any part ( except the original RCR frontframe) which I have not used.

Feel free to ask any question you like

Thanks
TOM

Howard Jones

Supporter
If I was planning a duel purpose car again I would simply get a second set of 17 inch wheels and mount slicks to begin with. Other than that;

1. Fire system
2. A more suitable race seat to be swapped out when on track.
3. Full 6 point harness set.
4. Oil cooler (engine)
5. Careful selection of gearbox to include gear ratios and above all else a torque bias differential (Quaife) or your selection of another LSD.
6. Full roll cage. See Franks thread about this elsewhere so that you can consider all the issues.
7. 400 hp is really enough but a guys gotta have what a guys gotta have.

Otherwise the standard RCR GT40 should serve you well as a duel purpose car.

Just like most bolt-on upgrades, you get what you pay for and proper installation is key to their performance.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
In addition to some of the items listed above....

Unless you have a fair amount of time on your hands and are not afraid of a bit of work - I'd look into having the body and dash fitted, doors hung, latches installed by RCR. If you're going with the Gulf-Wide or +2, having the body work done on the rear clip will save you a lot of effort as well.

Then there's the installation of;
Headlights and driving lights
Fresh air ducting from the frontal NACA ducts

Funny - I've actually been thinking about moving down under... :)

Chris Kouba

Supporter
In addition to some of the items listed above....

Unless you have a fair amount of time on your hands and are not afraid of a bit of work - I'd look into having the body and dash fitted, doors hung, latches installed by RCR. If you're going with the Gulf-Wide or +2, having the body work done on the rear clip will save you a lot of effort as well.

I'll second the above. Not sure what Fran charges but I'd bet it's worth it. You CAN get through it eventually (check my build thread if you want to know where you can go with it), but it's a lot of work if you're a novice...

If you're building it yourself and want to get to driving it ASAP, it's probably money well spent. I am in it for the build experience at this point and am taking my time.

I loved Texas so much whilst I was there from May thru to July that I've decided to make the move and my company is sponsoring my visa :thumbsup:

Good luck with your travels, I'm heading to San Antonio, TX and hopefully looking forward to owning some land and having a house built!

Back