Whatever happened GOX / Which GT40 is best?

Howdy all,

I've already done a quick search on GOX / Goran, and I was wondering whatever happend to the GOX monocoque? It looked like a great effort back in '05-06, but then things just sorta went silent.

Is GOX still in business? I see that there is a website. Does anyone have a feeling for the accuracy of their product compared to others...SPF, Bailey-edwards, others? I suppose that doesn't matter much, if they are out of business, but...

If they are in business, what about price?

Thanks for any help in advance, Ron Rowberry

Keith

Re: Whatever happened to Goran Olsson / GOX?

Howdy all,

I've already done a quick search on GOX / Goran, and I was wondering whatever happend to the GOX monocoque? It looked like a great effort back in '05-06, but then things just sorta went silent.

Is GOX still in business? I see that there is a website. Does anyone have a feeling for the accuracy of their product compared to others...SPF, Bailey-edwards, others? I suppose that doesn't matter much, if they are out of business, but...

If they are in business, what about price?

Thanks for any help in advance, Ron Rowberry

Price is a mystery (if you have to ask you can't afford it etc). Accuracy is alleged to be as original (from original drawings etc) Mono chassis (as per original - but limited production) but I do believe Goran also produces a space frame. Judging by his previous inputs to this forum some years ago, I believe he is a very accomplished engineer and yes, he is very much still in business.

Well, I emailed Goran, and I'll report back what he has to say.

I'm comfortable with the quality of SPF (and the price does not seem unreasonable), but would prefer to do more of the assembly myself. I've looked into Bailey-edwards, as they are a monocoque, and report themselves to be very accurate. If this is true...anyone have any experience with B-E?...they they seem a very viable option. Then there is GOX...also reported to be very (perhaps more, perhaps less) accurate, but even more of an unknown quantity.

Since I raised the subject, anyone want to rate these cars in terms of accuracy...particularly the monocoque, body, and suspension?

SPF 85% parts interchangable with original...body and monocoque spot on?

GOX?...any in the US?

B-E?...any in the US?

I'm not interested in cars with non-mono or tube-frame chassis.

Thanks again, Ron Rowberry

Ooops!

B-E was on my list of Porsche 917 builders, not GT40. So, subtract them from the above list. Anyone else make an accurate mono chassis? Yes, I do believe Holman and Moody does one, but I also know their prices (ouch!).

Ron

BTW, I know CAV and RCR both make mono chassis, and they are great cars, from what I can tell. But I am looking primarily for overall accuracy, particularly chassis, body and suspension (I figure I can correct shortcommings elsewhere).

Ron

have you checked out a mono chassis built by John Shand here on the forum ,he has one for sale.
cheers Ali

I believe there is a forum member here located in San Diego who is a BEC representative - perhaps the sole US rep. Do a search for bec gt40 and I'm sure you'll find him. His car is beautiful - black with silver racing stripes.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter

have you checked out a mono chassis built by John Shand here on the forum ,he has one for sale.
cheers Ali

Further to Ali's post look at this

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/22920-classis-car-developments-dave-brown-chassis.html

John has one for sale here, looks lovely in the flesh too. Price IMHO very reasonable even after you pay for freight!

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-parts-sale/22080-chassis.html

Cheers

My Tip:
Take some days, visit Stromstadt (I still didnt, but my girl is from Lysekil...),take something to drink and give a call to Goran,he works a lot and is an incredible guy....all the rest come from the discussion to him.
Goran's Monocoque is a CLONE of the real thing,handmade.
He also provides T44 shifters.....
Go to Sweden,visit Goran..order him a car..:).......(and if u can..also an house in Stromstadt, really one of the nicest places by the sea in the Swedish west coast..;))
For me he is the top,under every point of view.

Just sad their forum shift to swedish,that is not so easy to understand by me:)

Last edited:

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor

Ron

I know its not really what you are looking for but we have a Carbon Mono coming out in a month or so.

Its really for the racers looking for much lighter weight, increased stiffness and better performance.

We also have an Aluminium version coming soon which is approx 1/3 rd the weight of any other Aluminium Monos currently available.

Thanks

Andy

About Gox;

- total production of spaceframes will be 40 pcs. As far as i know there is only few left.
- total production of monocoques will be 20 pcs.

Göran made up new premisies this year and is now busy making both types of cars.

SPF 85% parts interchangable with original...body and monocoque spot on?

Thats the info SPF advertises.
I always wonder how true that is, because i had some discussions with guys they are realy deep into mono´s and they say not even 1/3rd of th SPF parts would fit an original car.
Starting with the windscreen ending with suspension pieces. Even if you take a look at their body ( especially the MK1) there are some things realy not like you can see it on original cars.

As said this where just comments and perceptions, anyone with facts ?

TOM

Ron R,
If you are interested in a monocoque built to the original blueprints and all the various other parts to put a car together, send me an email with your phone contact and I will call you back. Thanks

Ron R,
If you are interested in a monocoque built to the original blueprints and all the various other parts to put a car together, send me an email with your phone contact and I will call you back. Thanks

Uh Oh, looks like we are about to enter that clandestine land of secret handshakes, winks,nods and perfect non original spotwelds.:)

Ron R.,

I think you need to take a step back and answer some other questions
first.

What stage of build are you looking for? Basic kit? Complete kit? Turnkey minus?
Turnkey? Some stage in between? I ask because all of the manufacturers offer
different packages, and some may not sell what you want. GOX for example is only
available in kit for IIRC, and you will have to source a number of parts yourself.
Superformance only offers turnkey minus, with some dealers offering to complete
it for you at extra cost.

Bailey-Edwards does offer a GT40 replica, but it is a spaceframe. ERA has a semi
monocoque that is pretty accurate. How accurate are you looking for? Dead nuts
accurate will mean that you are giving up a lot of new tech that will make the
car perform better and last longer. Things like a stainless steel mono as opposed to
regular stamped steel that will corrode much easier (zinc coating is not accurate ;) ).
Also, wider passenger compartments and stronger chassis are available. Better braking
systems are also a plus.

With regards to body, chassis and suspension, I would say Superformance, ERA, and
CAV offer the more accurate and complete offerings. The GOX chassis is nice, but
you would still be left looking for a lot of pieces. Same with John Brown's beautiful
chassis. And, eventually Tornado will have their aluminum mono available.

Ian

I believe SAFIR in Cinncinati makes the most original Mk I, along with H-M with their Mark II. Do they carry continuation serial numbers?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Safir does not produce a chassis. They do provide parts and control the "P" chassis numbers which they have licensed to Superformance.

The Lee Holman cars are nice but the price point has kept the sales almost non-existant (I think only three or four in ten years) although he does provide a T44 gearbox which is expensive. I also question the ability/legality to road register them (a completed car with non-emissioned 427 that is not legally a "1966" chassis) so that could be a concern if street driving is in your plans.

The GOX cars can be finished with some parts from Cushman, Safir and a whole lot of scrounging/fabrication.

There is no "wrong" choice in a GT40, just different needs/expectations.

Back