Wheel sizes

Hi all

After looking at heaps of pictures of cars in various stages of build I think I have got my mind set on rear wheel size of 17 diameter and a tyre width of 315. I'm trying to get a definitive answer as to what width the wheel needs to take this size tyre. I know its a bit of a broad question so if someone can elaborate on wheel sizes and tyre sizes widths and aspect ratios for 17 and 16 inch diameter wheels go ahead. Thanks!

Fred;
I am using a 15 X 14 wheel in the rear with Avons. Backspacing is 4 7/8", and I am showing approx 75" across the top of tread side to side. The tires have a 13" width across the tread which is close to what you spec'd. The tread is narrower than the actual sidewall. My body work shows 77 1/2" inside to inside so I have approx 1" clearance on each side from the tread, and a little less from sidewall. I am running a track of 56" with pin drive adapters 3/8" thick so my actual track is 56 3/4". Tire diam shows about 26 1/2" with the car in all fours and although the Avons are not marked as such the aspect ratio would come in somewhere around 48, or close to a 50 series tire.
I guess a lot would depend on the bodywork you have, wheel offsets, track etc.
I know that you mentioned that you would like to run 17" wheels so I suspect that you would need an aspect ratio of 35 or 40 to maintain correct chassis height.
I hope some of this info helps.
Here is a photo of my rear setup
Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• gt photos 015.jpg
    gt photos 015.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 457

Charlie M

Supporter
Phil,

What are you using for tires, wheels, and track width in front? Are you using a Bill Hough MkI body?

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie:
Track width in front is 56", wheels are 15 X 10 with a backspacing of 4 7/8", the bodywork I have was from a GTD, but the rear deck is an original piece, which I am having copied. All the bodywork is stuff I had accumulated.
Here are some photos of the front setup.
Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• gt photos 019.jpg
    gt photos 019.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 409
  • gt photos 024.jpg
    gt photos 024.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 359

Charlie M

Supporter
Thanks Phil. How did your front setup work out with the wheel position relative to the body? The tires fit in the fenderwells OK? I was planning a 57" front track width with 8" wide wheels. If your setup works well I could go to a 58" track width and have the same width as yours to the outside of the tires. I'm trying to spread the front suspension out as far as I can to get more room in the footwells.

Charlie

Charlie:
I can tell you that the front tires are closer than the rear to the bodywork. I will take a measurement of the front bodywork today and post it later. The front was a bit of a challenge as the adapters would have put me beyond the bodywork so it was necessary to fab an adapter/hub which brought me back to 56" track to fit the 10" wheels. I would guess it all depends on your backspacing and width of your body. My front tread fits within the bodywork but its close. If I remember there were some posts previously on the forum about front track being too wide with adapters, and the availability of different backspacing dimensions was limited, which is a problem you may encounter. Here is a photo of my front setup, I will post the dimensions of the bodywork tonight which is probably close to what you would have.
Cheers
Phil

Attachments

• gt photos 010.jpg
    gt photos 010.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 333
Charlie:
Front bodywork is 69" to outside with a 1/2" lip to inside. so I have 68" inside. Tires measure 68" full width, and 66 1/2" across tread. As I said it is close.
Depending on your backspacing with an 8" wheel you should be able to go to a 58" front track as long as it is 4" or more, and it would be approx the same dim. I am getting, but that would be your max wheel with that setup. It may allow you to expand the footwell area a bit.
Cheers
Phil

Thanks guys for the help. I kind of figured that 11.5 or 12 inch would be the go for 315x35x17 . Now I just need to find out whats available. I was hoping to be able to buy BRM's at this size but I have bought hubs with five studs and am not sure where this leaves me for choice.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Fred

These are 345 Pirelli on 12 inch rims.

You would not want to put smaller tyres on a rim 12 inches wide.

As it is with these there is very little bag in the walls.

Dimi

Attachments

• PICT0378.JPG
    PICT0378.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 388
  • PICT0379.JPG
    PICT0379.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 418
OK. Really this why Ive put up the post. Those are bigger than I have in mind and they are on 12 inch rims. Its a personal taste aesthetics thing that I'm looking for. Ive seen the 315x35x17 on other cars and think they are just right. But I haven't been able to find out what width is best to use with this tyre and whats out there for purchase. Bearing in mind I'm using five nuts and not a single spinner.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Not to hi-jack your thread as it's somewhat in the same vein..

I'm curious what the widest tire that anyone has put on their 15" by 10" wide rims would be...
I know what the recommendation would be and that oft times that is a bit shy of the real world..

I'd really like to consider going Gulf-Wide on he rear of my forty - but don't want to pay for the widening of the rims nor the price of wear and tear on the rear bearings.

Charlie M

Supporter
Phil,

My body is the same width as yours so those dimensions help a lot, thanks. I spoke to Bob Lacey at Vintage Wheels. He told me that the standard backspace on their 17 x 8 BRM style wheel is 4.5" and he can remachine them to get 5" if I need it.

Fred,
Vintage Wheels has BRM-style wheels and adapters for 5-lug hubs (both Ford and Chev. bolt circle).

Charlie

I'm curious what the widest tire that anyone has put on their 15" by 10" wide rims would be...
I know what the recommendation would be and that oft times that is a bit shy of the real world..

15-inch tire sizes are limited, but several manufacturers make a 295/50-15 which fits perfectly on a 15x10 wheel. Most are pretty crappy hot-rod tires, but a few makers (Toyo, Maxxis for starters) make high-performance SUV tires in that size, which do an excellent job. Matching or near-matching front tires in appropriate sizes are also available.

I'm working on somebody's Pantera right now equipped with the Toyos, and I am amazed at how far superior they are to the BFGs on my own car. I wonder if he'd noticed if I swapped? :laugh:

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Mike,

The Toyo's were short lived; although finally a 'V' rated 15" tire that everyone rates highly came on the market, they have sadly now been discontinued. Thus the Toyo ST's in 295/50/15 are already nigh impossible to find by all accounts from both GT40 and Pantera owners. The BFG's are in a different league and those SHOULD be discontinued in my opinion!

Latest tire discussions center on going for the Avon CR66Z tires as supplied by Roger Jraus (Racing Tires - Hand-Grooved Tires - Wheels | Castro Valley, CA) or I heard a Michelin XWX tire is now available through Coker.

Back