Which car is this?

Hi guys,

Okay GT40 sleuths, put your thinking caps on!

Photos taken at Green Valley Raceway in Texas in Feb 1967; this GT40 was apparently doing exhibition laps between races:

FORD%20GT40%20EXHIBITION%20p3%20GVR%20FEB%201967.jpg

FORD%20GT40%20EXHIBITION%20p1%20GVR%20FEB%201967.jpg

The personalized California license plate is clearly visible. The door locks and wire wheels identify it as a GT40 road car, but the Mk 2 brake cooling scoops are rather unique.

Which car is this?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
This car seems a little odd, did the wire wheel, MKI street cars have the large single tail lights and quick jack fittings?

Some of the very early pix at Riverside testing. The car had wire wheels. I'm not sure that is a key lock. On some they appear to have a very small light near the handle on the door. Most look to be ahead of the handle though. Safety after dark on long races? So a course worker could find the door handle to get a driver out? Clearance lights when passing & what side?
Mike S

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
On some they appear to have a very small light near the handle on the door.

I don't think that's a light. Compare its size to the number light down below. That would make that "door handle light" about 1/2" diameter. I have some of those number lights and the bulbs are like 3/4" dia.

And what makes them "very early pix" at Riverside? It has Mk II-style deck scoops in a photo taken in '67 that Mike says are in Texas.

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
1054 is the car Francois Kress used to own, I think. When I saw it, it did not have the rear deck scoops and I don't think it had wire wheels. Of course these cars get changed around a lot, and probably did even more back in the day when they were made.

Mike,

A good find, whch a friend of mine came across just the other week and told me about.

The car is GT40 P/1055. I only know this courtesy of the hard work of Greg Kolasa at the SAAC who managed to unearth the photograph of 1055 for the 2008 Shelby World Registry which I am copying here.

Ronnie Spain

Attachments

• 1055.jpg
    1055.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 518

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
P1054 is still in the clutches of the aforementioned F. Kress. It indeed did not have the Halibrands and deck scoops when he acquired it but they were added when the restoration was done in the late 80's.

Alan the "very early pix." I was going by ones in the "Shelby GT40" book by Dave Friedman. They said they were taken at Riverside first test runs. I got several pix at Le Mans in it autographed by John Collins(Guernies crew chief 68/69) before he passed a couple of years ago.
Mike S

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You don't like my avatar photo? Oh, all right. I will change it when I get home. I am in NC warming my old bones in the sunshine. I hadn't paid much attention to it.

Some of the very early pix at Riverside testing. The car had wire wheels. I'm not sure that is a key lock. On some they appear to have a very small light near the handle on the door.

That's definitely a door lock.

Attachments

• door lock.jpg
    door lock.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 329
I saw an ad in the British magazine " Classic & Sports Car " July 2007 page 61 for chassis 1055.

Listed by Hall & Bradfield.

In the photo the tall rear scoops are gone and there is a "bubble" in the roof. Color looks to be very dark blue/purple .

Just my 20 cent contribution.

Z.C.

Back