Yos' SLC Build Thread

Yos

The dynamat you are installing works great for killing "harmonic / vibration" sounds but it does not really insulate out acoustic noises such as wind, engine and exhaust sounds. I doubt that the 1/4" think aluminum floor has vibrational issues so are you are considering putting some serious base in your cab???

Yos

The dynamat you are installing works great for killing "harmonic / vibration" sounds but it does not really insulate out acoustic noises such as wind, engine and exhaust sounds. I doubt that the 1/4" think aluminum floor has vibrational issues so are you are considering putting some serious base in your cab???

You're right Kyle...it won't help with a lot of annoying sounds getting in the cabin. The side windows provide almost zero acoustic insulation, so I'm prepared for some noise. But the Dynamat will definitely quiet the car itself down a lot. This thing is basically just a giant drum. Any noise or vibrations are amplified by the sheet metal regardless of the thickness...don't believe me...drop a wrench on the floor pan!

And to answer your question...yes...there will be lots of Bass. I have a JL Audio system going in... :laugh:

Where are you going to put the sub ? unless your building a box thats hung between the seats next to your head. The doors you might get a 5" speaker in there and the amp or amps will most likely have to go inside the doors? There not much room for a full blown system. I was thinking of a good set ear buds lol.

What JL Audio components are going in if you don't mind me asking? 13W7? :laugh:

I'm looking at the C5 component series for the front main speakers. Those will be 5.25 or 6.5 depending on what I do with the doors. I'd really like to get the top of the line ZR's, but I'll never fit an amp capable of making those sing.

And of course I need to use subs that require the least amount of enclosure space...so I'm either going with one 8" Sub (8W3V3), or two 6.5" subs (6W3V3)

The amp is decided...the XD500/3

Where are you going to put the sub ? unless your building a box thats hung between the seats next to your head. The doors you might get a 5" speaker in there and the amp or amps will most likely have to go inside the doors? There not much room for a full blown system. I was thinking of a good set ear buds lol.

Actually...I think there's a lot of left over space in the cockpit area for audio gear. There's the passenger footwell. You could easily put the amp or a box for the sub up there. I think you could put a 6-8" deep box up there without the passenger's feet ever touching it. You also have a lot of room on each side of the seats. Twin sub boxes would fit in between the seats and outside chassis rails. Or a sub on one side...amp on the other...

To save even more space, I might use a marine amp mounted outside of the passenger compartment. Maybe in the radiator box. I've got a lot of ideas...one of em' will work I hope :thumbsup:

You want to know how I know your exhaust isn't loud enough ;)

I know why...

But have faith Alex...I have an open header toy too!

imag1947q.jpg

Mine is too. Yos's under fuel tank piece is .125 and the main floors are .25
I added an extension to mine, all .25 back to just in front of the wheels and
to the engine crossmember in the engine bay. Good to hang "stuff" to.

Yos', I really enjoy reading your build thread and look forward to your frequent up-dates. From the pictures, it seems like you have incorporated many classy ideas, many of which I plan on using on mt build when my car arrives.

I'm particularly interested in seeing pictures of were you place the various stereo components.

You are going to have one fantastic car when you are finished!

Question: What if anything would be a better sound deadener product than Dynamat. Dynamat sure "aint" cheep!
Jim

Actually...I think there's a lot of left over space in the cockpit area for audio gear. There's the passenger footwell. You could easily put the amp or a box for the sub up there. I think you could put a 6-8" deep box up there without the passenger's feet ever touching it. You also have a lot of room on each side of the seats. Twin sub boxes would fit in between the seats and outside chassis rails. Or a sub on one side...amp on the other...

To save even more space, I might use a marine amp mounted outside of the passenger compartment. Maybe in the radiator box. I've got a lot of ideas...one of em' will work I hope :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Are you going to be installing a AC/ heater unit?

What if anything would be a better sound deadener product than Dynamat. Dynamat sure "aint" cheep!
Jim

Hey Jim...Dynamat has actually come down a bit in price. I picked up the 36 square feet for $140. Not bad compared to what it used to be. It's much more competitive now with things like second skin out there (which I'm also using)...

:laugh:

So whats your flavor, Teckno or Neil Diamond :thumbsup: :laugh::smart::guitarist:

Nice! :thumbsup:

Are you going to be installing a AC/ heater unit?

Yeah...I'm using the AC unit. I'll draw up an audio layout soon so I can show the space I'm talking about for the sub. The AC unit mounts to the top of the footbox. I'm going to use the most forward space. Picture the area behind the pedals on the driver's side...only on the passenger side. If that makes any sense!

Worked on the fuel tank area tonight. I used second skin in this area for no particular reason, other than it's black.

The orange strips are pieces of silicone rubber. I'm using 1/8" for the tank to rest on, and 1/16" strips on all 4 of the tank to chassis contact points. I'm also lining the edges of the tank cover with 1/16" silicone. Hopefully, all of this will contribute to a quieter ride...

imag2275.jpg

Back