Yos' SLC Build Thread

Yeah...I'm using the AC unit. I'll draw up an audio layout soon so I can show the space I'm talking about for the sub. The AC unit mounts to the top of the footbox. I'm going to use the most forward space. Picture the area behind the pedals on the driver's side...only on the passenger side. If that makes any sense![/QUOTE]

It all good Yos, I get what your doing.
Cheers,

IF you want cheaper sound deadening, check out second skin or Cascade products. For the most part, they're all the same.

The close cell Vinyl foams and the Grey Fiber Mats are the best sound deadeners. Like these SUPER SOUND PROOF WITH ADHESIVE from Aircraft Spruce

INSULATOR BY THE FOOT - DOUBLE SIDE, SINGLE LAYER from Aircraft Spruce

There are simular auto products out there, Dynamat does make the foam stuff too.

Thanks guys for the recommendations. I'm checking out their web sites....I had no idea that there are so many sound deadening and heat shield products (and each of them claim to be the best) on the market. Like Yos', I want to go “over kill” in this area.
Jim

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I'd have to agree. I've drilled a few holes here and there, mounted the pedal assembly and seats and even removed the nose floor panel from the tub. Pretty sure it isn't 1/4"

You're welcome by anytime Bill. I actually just got back from your neck of the woods last weekend. I had some work to do at the Biltmore estate in Asheville. It's definitely not a bad place to spend a week! :D

Here's a peek at what I've been up to lately...I've been working on putting gold foil on the rear of the chassis, and so far I'm extremely happy with the results. That being said...I will never mess with this shit again.

I literally have at least 35-40 hours of time in this. Add in the ridiculous material cost...and this becomes a pretty stupid thing to do.

But man...I really like it :thumbsup:

The product itself is actually really nice stuff. After getting a sample to test...I decided on Reflect-a-Gold from DEI. This is the best stuff I could find for what I was doing. Also...I originally orded some from Summit, but it came in a folded pack. No matter how hard I tried...I couldn't get the packaging wrinkles back out. So I called DEI directly, and they were nice enough to sell it to me off the roll by the foot. (24" wide roll)

It takes about 36 square feet to get this far...

foil2.jpg

foil4.jpg

foil1.jpg

foil3.jpg

What's the benefit of foiling the entire chassis like that? Can understand the firewall, but not certain about the rest?

Its replaceable....and its to reflect the heat from the chassis to prevent it becoming a large heat sink and limit the heat travelling forward.. ,

Bling yes... But it is that special race car, F1, aerospace, aircraft, etc., kind of bling that appeals to us motorheads. It would take me twice the time and material to accomplish this (lack of patience would no doubt result in wrinkles, bad joints, etc).

Great job! I think it looks "trick" (dating myself with that one). Bill

Good job Yos! I have my firewall finished with the gold DEI and plan to do the same with the frame as you did. Just waiting to finish out the engine/wiring/plumbing. Nice preview for me!!

Absolutely spectacular!:thumbsup: I would love to do something like that on mine but like Bill B. said: ”I just don't have the pantience” and it would cost me a fortune in wasted material.
Jim

Back