Forum Civility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
My bullshit meter deflected to full scale and stuck this morning when I read two more of Mike/MHNCO's personal jabs in one single thread. At this point he's made probably a dozen, if not more, posts that clearly have no purpose other than to provoke and berate me personally, all using a fallacious ad hominem argument about whether my car is finished (which BTW it has been for months, and why that's his concern is a mystery to me).

I've pointed out that these are a violation of forum rules:

"Keep threads on topic. Please respect your fellow members...don’t berate, belittle, or ridicule your fellow forum member. Offenders will find themselves banned."
I'm satisfied that being called (in just this instance) "unpleasant" constitutes my being "berated." and is certainly off-topic. So I think the legal basis is their for action.

I think the moderators need to pay closer attention to the development of a legitimate discussion however furious as it momentarily turns from discussing things and ideas to attacking people, and to step in right there rather than wait until it turns into a name-calling bar fight and is irrecoverable. That "going-personal" tipping point is usually with one specific post and is pretty easy to identify.

Since this particular person's behavior is apparently uneradicatable, and yet (so far) mainifests only with my posts, I no longer wish to be an agent for his cluttering this fine forum with his stalking. I see no other way to prevent it than to cease participating.

Regardless of that, for the future health of the forum,you might suggest he cut it out; I fear with my absence he'll just latch onto someone else.

I will leave my account minimally active should any of the adults here like to contact me via e-mail.

Good fortune to you all. Keep em' flying, and carry on regardless.

Last edited:
I have taken notice of those "digs" as well. Not normally seen on this site. Have seen them on other lesser forums quite a bit. They serve no useful purpose. Hopefully that will be it.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi guys,

Okay I will fully admit that I don't have either the time or inclination to read every post in every thread on this site. A PM or email to myself or any of the moderators via REPORT POST (its that little exclamiation point on the lower left corner of a post) will send us an email and we can look into these things. Yes we have rules and they need to be followed. I will try to be more diligent about reading as many posts as I can, but I may not see a "slight" or "dig" the same way that you all might..

Hang in there and lets see if we can get back to business of enjoying each other's company and the fine cars that we all share in common.

Alan, don't be chased away by rude people. They are everywhere, and if everyone left a place when rude or stupid people descended, we'd all be pretty alone.

The posts by the party in question should have been moderated, and the poster reprimanded, and banned if necessary.

I'm sure my opinion is in the vast minority, but why not grow some thicker skin? It's the internet after-all.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Wow Al, didn't realize you were that thin skinned. Had no idea you would actually consider leaving over a couple friendly jabs. Stick around, I'll be more cognizant of your sensitivities in the future. Sorry okay...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
(((Sigh)))

Guys, lets just let things cool off a bit here...

We all have our good days and bad days along with roller coaster rides in-between...

Remember the rules and what this collection of forums is all about and most of all, celebrate what we have in common.

Thanks

Alan
I have valued your input for many a year on this site and would not want you to blend into the background in the future. Perhaps if one or two were taken to task for violations of forum rules others would think twice before berating their peers in public. We should take the moderators' advice and bring infringements to their attention so that action can be taken rather than relying on them to police all postings.

Don't quit on us now, I've more to learn from you.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi guys

I totally believe that most "adults" (and I use that word loosely) have forgotten one of the most important nursery rhymes we were ever taught as children.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me".

I have taken the view that no matter what anyone calls me it's water off a ducks back and my life rolls on as normal
If anything it usually ends up falling back on the person with the foul mouth when you don't rise to the occasion and let it affect you.

I usually avoid any sort of comeback so as to not fuel their fire which just shows off their mentality.

Take a deep breath fellas and count to 10.

Dimi

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Totally agree Dimi, take a chill pill boys. But I must admit to a certain satisfaction that it is not only in the paddock that people get their knickers in a knot.;)

Keith

Alan, please stay.

I have been treated worse in the past on here in regards lack of civility to down right aggressively hostile, but it really does say more about themselves rather than you. Most things that offend would never be said face to face as it it easier to visually judge what offends.

Sometimes the line between 'banter' and offence is very thin on this relatively anonymous media, but 99% of the time I believe it is not intended that way.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Yes, Keith, but Alan is a thoroughly good sort and you are a complete rotter.

Just kidding, actually I find both of your comments just fine, I couldn't resist sticking the needle in you.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
This thread is funny. The comments Al found to be so hurtful were in a thread he authored where he tried to instigate an argument between the SLC folks and the Ultima folks. When Fran declined his bait he then responded by chastising Fran as someone unwilling to debate the merits of his product. I found that to be so ridiculous that I suggested Al spend more time in the garage working on his car and less time on the internet trying to gen up shitstorms. Get over yourself Al...

Keith

Yes, Keith, but Alan is a thoroughly good sort and you are a complete rotter.

Just kidding, actually I find both of your comments just fine, I couldn't resist sticking the needle in you.

Ouch! Just ouch! You know exactly where to stick it with surgical precision don't you?

Actually, you missed out Bounder and Cad.. :)

How about we all just leave it and focus back on the cars?

All in favour say "Aye"

All those not in favour, then Randy and me will give you a ban (that last bit was joke before anyone takes it the wrong way)

but I am serious about us all getting back to talking fuel, grease and swarf....

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Aye... and if I ever start a thread biatching about something someone said to me on the internet, please go ahead and ban me. Probably should come and take away my computer while your at it ha.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I don't dislike Jim, I don't even know him other than his numerous posts across the innerweb detailing his automotive exploits. I will say if you are a millionaire who likes his Ferraris who is going to come on a GT40 site and wow everyone with your stardom, then fork over a couple hundred bucks pocket change and support the site lest ye come across as an arrogant prick. Feel free to disagree I don't really care. Do you even own a GT40?<!-- google_ad_section_end --> Maybe you can get his autograph... I'm sure it's for sale lol.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Posted by MHNCO

This is how this guy comes on to our site, he talks like this to long time posters like Jim Glickenhous, calls him an "arrogant prick"

He makes these snide comments about Jeff, Jim and other folks he does not like, yet never rags on the likes of MR Fechter or others when they do not support the site.

Can you say selective indignation?

Last edited:

Keith

Posted by MHNCO

This is how this guy comes on to our site, he talks like this to long time posters like Jim Glickenhous, calls him an "arrogant prick"

He makes these snide comments about Jeff, Jim and other folks he does not like, yet never rags on the likes of MR Fechter of Mr Hardy when they do not support the site.

Can you say selective indignation?

I am a supporter - use your eyes. And why would Michael rag on me? Unfortunately, you are the one that seeks to impose his views forcibly on others, many times with profanities and rage. Calm down too Jim - do not perpetrate dissent on this board, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back