24h du Le Mans 2009

Keith

Am I the only one who has been bitterly disappointed with the coverage of the 09 Le Mans on British TV? Like NONE - Zilch - Nada. If you didn't know differently, you'd never know it was even happening.

Even the digital text news service didn't even mention the results next day apart from one short line on BBCi.

But if they think I'm going to pay that bastard Murdoch 10 lbs of flesh to watch his satellite crap, then it's going to be a cold day in hell.

With all the 'growing' disenchantment with F1, you'd have thought there would have been a healthy audience for it, as it does involve some major manufacturers and there's a lot of Audis out there!

Malcolm

Supporter
Totally with you on this Keith, the lack of TV coverage is very frustrating. We even found the French coverage lacking.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
It was covered for the full 24 hours on Eurosport 1 and Eurosport 2

But that requires you to subscribe to help fill someone's wallet

Disgusting that BBC etc never even had a news article that the Pugs had won and ended Audi's fantastic run of wins.

Ian

Didn't anyone notice ITV4. I thought the coverage this year, was better than last. I still agree that the general tv coverage is pretty poor. Channel 4 news seemed to be the only general news program to give any indication there was a race, and then only about 15 seconds. The less said about BBC and ITN news the better.

Stephen

There were quite a few video feeds, as well as Le Mans Radio, on t'Internet.
Speed TV carried both for a while on Saturday evening, but timing was aimed at the eastern US and packed up at midnight EST.
I found a link that may be worth investigating in future - Goalfanzine (whatever a goalfanzine is). The site covers crap like Big Brother, but Le Mans was about halfway down. The links have gone now, but there were a number in English, French and German and included feeds from Speed TV and Eurosport. I certainly watched all day on Sunday using this site.
It might be worth checking by F1 fans who don't have Auntie Beeb to watch.

I watched the whole thing on eurosport here in the uk - thought the coverage was ok. Tried the feed on the net but it kept freezing and pixelating.

1st time there, what a weekend, fantastic!! snapped a few pics and have posted them on my Flikr account

Flickr: Wokingfan2009's Photostream

3635544335_c2d11b09a0.jpg

3636321716_50066533f2.jpg

3636326316_8af45b3345.jpg

3636403334_bb185c0039.jpg

Enjoy

Cheers

Craig

Malcolm

Supporter
Craig

Thanks for the pictures, even enjoyed the non car pictures on your site. How do you take the ones where the headlights stream through teh picture. I know it is long exposure but I have never yet pulled that one off.

Thanks for the compliments guys :)

To take a long exposure I would make sure your lens can "stop" down to a pretty low apature (say f30 or so), most lenses can I would have thought. During the day will need a much tighter apature than the night as there is so much ambient light about. (for non tech people that is the size of hole the camera uses to get it's shot though)

My pics I took like that were taken with the camera tripod mounted and with a remote shutter release (even touching the camera to press the shutter release can cause a wobble in the shot).

I set the shot up and then check "in the real world" where the car is about to enter and leave the frame, and then I time a car through that segment (if you leave the shutter open too long after the action has happened it will dim the light stream, unless another car comes along). I then set the shutter to slightly more than that time (if a car take 22 sec to cover the section the 25 sec will do) and let the camera adjust the apature as needed (just make sure the camera isn't giving you and under exposure alert if your shutter opening time exceeds the available apature). Also set the metering to frame average rather than spot beam. Press the shutter just before the car enters your frame. VIOLA (not the small violin).

The "star effect" is caused by the light pointing straight at the lens at a couple of points in the shot, the number of points in the "star" is a function of the number of blades regulating the apature (the smaller the hole gets the more angular the joins are between the blades).

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Craig

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Brilliant shots Craig, I was so impressed I looked at all your shots. The ones of the birds (feathered variety) are also outstanding.
Thanks for the post.

Back