914 4 speed & HP?

I'm just currious. I have a Porsche 914 trans that was given to me. One of these days I'd like to build a Can-Am type car. Like A McLaren 1 or 6 or a T-70 spider. Anyone know about how much HP it can take? I'd be looking at something like a Buick/Olds 215 aluminum V-8 slightly warmed nothing monster. Just wondering if it could be used? for future ref. Or I have a Ford 2600 V-6 from a Capri?
Mike S.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I don't think to much but there have been some V8s bolted to them. I have a WRX Subaru 5 speed that I thought about using in my 914 when I turbo it, has much better ratios and I think a little more stout. Lets hear from some of the other guys.

I'm just currious. I have a Porsche 914 trans that was given to me. One of these days I'd like to build a Can-Am type car. Like A McLaren 1 or 6 or a T-70 spider. Anyone know about how much HP it can take? I'd be looking at something like a Buick/Olds 215 aluminum V-8 slightly warmed nothing monster. Just wondering if it could be used? for future ref. Or I have a Ford 2600 V-6 from a Capri?
Mike S.

Desert Hybrids Precision

The commonly adhered to 901 transaxle limit is 300/300 (HP/ft-lbs), so your 215 will match up just fine. Also, 1st gear is normally removed or not used, since it is over hung (not supported on both sides) and prone to breakage when high torque is applied. Some chose to retain 1st gear for parking lot/driveway use only. Go over to the 914 forums; there's lots of information there on V8 conversions. As with any transmission though, it really depends on how you drive it.

Andy

Thanks guys the price of that V-8 conversion kit though. Makes a 950 purchase price not all that much more. I should check with Kennedy too. Although I suppose you'd need most of that stuff to adapt it too. Any link to a 914 forum I could check out? Of course with my Lotus project now & the Devin in the wings. That's all I really DON"T need is to start thinking of another project LOL. But like I said it's just for future ref. I thought I'd heard a 914 could handel up to a mild SB.
Mike S.

Mike, just an idea - for a very reasonable sum ($1,000 or less) you can probably find a 915 ('74 to '84 911) to use instead of the 901. The 915 is a materially stronger box (so I've heard) than the 901 you have. The 915's go for pretty cheap because everyone wants the G50 of course. I know of a 915 with LSD and low miles for $1,200 bucks here in Seattle. Just an idea.

I am new here, but I have a 400hp 1800lb 914 and have ran a 901 successfully for many seasons. I don't use 1st gear and launch in a stock F mainshaft second gear. However, with recent power increases, sticker tires, and aero I am starting to blow up transmissions as consumable items. The 915 is a small amount stronger than the 901 as the case, R&P, and internals are a bit larger. However, if you want to put real power down reliably you have to go with a 930 box...which is what I am working on now.

-Britain

I am new here, but I have a 400hp 1800lb 914 and have ran a 901 successfully for many seasons. I don't use 1st gear and launch in a stock F mainshaft second gear. However, with recent power increases, sticker tires, and aero I am starting to blow up transmissions as consumable items. The 915 is a small amount stronger than the 901 as the case, R&P, and internals are a bit larger. However, if you want to put real power down reliably you have to go with a 930 box...which is what I am working on now.

-Britain

Britain, you're right. However, if you want to put real power down reliably then get a built ZF.

Of course, the point here is that there's always a better solution if money is no object. For the vast majority of folks hotrodding 914s, money is an object....thus, considering what's workable for the typical power/tq range, and typical budget, is appropriate I think.

The 915 box is considerably stronger than the 901, hence the suggestion to consider using it particularly when a good 915 can be had for about $1,500 bucks versus $5K+ for a 930 or $10K+ for a ZF. Pretty darn good bang for the buck with a 915. It's kind of the ugly step sister standing next to a G50 hence the cheap pricing.

Personally, while the 4spd 930 box is nice and strong, I like having five gears. Just my own little preference.

Last edited:
Mike:
I know of two guys running a 914 behind a V-8, and pretty much everything about it has been mentioned except that it does not need flipping as it runs in the configuration you would use. I seem to remember there was someone who offered an intermediate plate that substantially strengthened the box.
Also, hooking up a shifter is really easy, if you decide to use the box get a shifter from a 914, one look at it and you will see what needs to be done to make it work.
Cheers
Phil

Back