917 builders?

Are there any on here .... peek-a-boo, I want to find you?

Caution - Alexisisisisisisis in planning mode :uhoh:

Soooooooo basically in short-order it's going to become like a civic in terms of visibility - see one on every corner up here when the polar bears arn't roaming around! :cry:

Btw, you never got back to me regarding my question about the tires yesterday ..... holidays are no excuse not to answer harassing emails :D

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Yes...you waited too long for your engine and now you have lost the plot...once more.

Already told you tyre sizes ...do some homework about old fashioned cars young man...you know how to search the net for things other than engine builders ..right???

Yes...you waited too long for your engine and now you have lost the plot...once more.

Already told you tyre sizes ...do some homework about old fashioned cars young man...you know how to search the net for things other than engine builders ..right???

*sniff* I'm always behind the 8-ball :(

I could do research ..... but then I might become convinced something like 345/19 will fit .... and then spend a month jumping up and down trying to make it fit before migrating to 345/18 and getting perfect fitment ..... so this time I'ma save myself some headache and just ask you (And listen to you) directly :D

Trust me, the questions will only get more painful going forward :p

edit: you realllllllllly don't just want to say 15x17 rim and hope I can figure out the rest, do you? :D

Alex, you should just go ahead and order your engine for the 917 now so its delivery will coincide with that of the 917 in a couple of years.

Here you go

RCR 917 ready for delivery to customer

De luxe plus Kit, turnkey build by RCR USA and RCR EUROPE

LS 3 376/480, 930 Trans inverted, cockpitadjustable swaybars, 10x15 and 12x 15 original style wheels ( we do have set of 11x15 and 14x15 with wide slicks as well for this car, but it was to cold to run them)
painted in gulf livery

rightsideview.jpg

P1040744.jpg

P1040746.jpg

P1040751.jpg

P1040754.jpg

Safety lock for wheelnuts: 3mm Allenhead bolt cut to length and safetywired with 1mm ss safety wire.
P1040758.jpg

adapted engine cover to fit to the LS3 installation with working electric fan
P1040760.jpg

adjusters for front and rear swaybars
P1040761.jpg

originalstyle cockpit using new RCR gauges covered with originalstyl felt and adjustable steering column ( height and depth), originalstyle lettering
P1040763.jpg

remote ACCUSUMP gauge and filler vent
P1040764.jpg

P1040765.jpg

P1040767.jpg

of course with water temp gauge
P1040770.jpg

GPS speedometer and brake balance adjuster knob
P1040771.jpg

originalstyle seats narrowed 2 inch for the new owner
P1040773.jpg

Schroth 6 point racing harnesses
P1040777.jpg

LS3 with one of the two water coolers, cockpit adjustable swaybar

P1040780.jpg

electric fan in originalstyle enginecover
P1040793.jpg

opened up
P1040784.jpg

P1040787.jpg

P1040788.jpg

P1040789.jpg

ready to be delivered to the Hockenheim racetrack the next day
P1040798.jpg

P1040799.jpg

P1040800.jpg

more pics and vids to come about Hockenheim in a new thread

TOM

Last edited:
Awesome pictures! The car looks amazing! I do have some questions/concerns however. First, are wider rear tires/wheels able to fit without any problem-they seem too narrow for that classic 917 rear stance. Second, is the fan shroud not able to sit down in the slot due to the height of the motor cause it to need to stick out taller? Lastly, is it me or does the rear tail section seem to rise higher towards the end (this could be just suspension set up and/or point of view the pictures were taken at) also what leads me to this question is that the rear tail doesn't partially cover the top of the rear tire, making me think it rises towards the rear.

But overall VERY well done! Looks really good!

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Gulfgt40

the wider rear wheels fit just fine ...and as has been discussed before..some of the original cars used narrower rears too...getting a "big'un" underneath is no problem...the Wyer cars actually flared the rocker and the tail to get the 17 inch wide ones under...I prefer the 14's myself and they fit our early non flared body just fine.

I can tell you that the body is pretty darn "spot on" and correct in both size and shape for a 917k..

The fan shroud sits high due to the intake manifold on the engine...the stock one we have is the correct size and shape.

Spud....I agree but as a flat 12 is not available at a price point anyone really cares to think about ,plus the cost of a 500hp flat six gets pretty spendy this one off build with a 500hp Chevy came in well under the budget of the Porsche engine package and probably a little lighter too as there were no turbos needed to get to 500hp...

Last edited:
GulfGt40

original car in the porsche museum.

does have exactly the same width rear tires as our spare wheel set for the shown car. We opted for the smaller set for the cold track temperature at Hockenheim
PICT3265.jpg

in terms of stance check out this pic. Also taken from an original car in the porsche museum. rear deck is not covering the top of the tire and this is defenitely a tire with a higher section than the one we have mounted.
PICT3331.jpg

TOM

Back