917 Scratch Build

Chris could you post some pictures of the lower door hinge you made? I'm going to do my Lotus doors the same way. But need a bit of input as to the design. Was it hard to get the two hinges alighned so they don't bind? Working against each other. Do the axis of both need to be exactly in the same line?

Hi Mike,
I will do but they were only temporary hinges made up to check the various placements of bits and pieces were in the right place. I will be doing a proper hinge soon as the car is due to go to Stoneliegh kit car show weekend after next. Busy trying to get it on its wheels at the moment, so will have a fiddle with a hinge next week.
I did start with cardboard templates using ball and socket hinges, then when somewhere handy cut some thin alloy to check then will try and have some cut using 1/4 or prop thicker alloy, once I know the exact shape.
regards C

Thanks Chris I'd appreciate any you can post. I "think" I have the alignment question solved. But would like any input on design even basic or preliminary help. The pix you posted look a lot like what I'll be needing. A simple basic hinge can be used at the top corrner. But the lower main support hinge is important. Yesterday I cut open the windshield support pillar ("a" pillar) & ran a piece of angle iron down that throgh into the fender area ahead of the door. That should give me the alignment & basic support for the hinges (or a staring point anyway).

Hi, just a quick update, the car is due to go to Stoneleigh Kit Car Show here in the UK this coming weekend so plan to get the suspension/wheels on for display purposes. The first pic is of the rear upright, bearing installed and stainless rose joint locators in place.
photostream

Second pic, have secured sills (just riveted) and rough trimmed a new rear section, hope to have the rear suspension/wheels on today and the front later in the week. Looking forward to seeing it outside sat on it's wheels!!
photostream

If any of you are going to Stoneleigh, pop in and say "hi" to Marcel, I hope to be there on Sunday mid morning briefly.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing you guys at Stoneleigh Chris, Ive been in awe of your work since you started! I'm going to give you guys a call after I've finished the 40 in a few years :)

Chris don't foget some pix of the lower door hinge

Mike, am not sure if I will get a door hung, maybe only have time to use the temporary hinge I have now as had a few set-backs with a couple of small parts with the suspension but I will take a picture or two for you of the hinge I currently have when I have time!

Looking forward to seeing you guys at Stoneleigh Chris, Ive been in awe of your work since you started! I'm going to give you guys a call after I've finished the 40 in a few years :)

Well Marcel will be there both days with the car, I had planned to go up Sunday morning, so maybe see you there, I will be the scruffy tall one!!!!

Sorry, been having problems with uploading pictures from Flickr for some reason, just been fiddling trying to get it sorted, take no notice of the link above.
regards C

Hi all, sorry not done a lot of late due to a new worship build, however that is now done and heating installed too, so toasty, should enable more work to be done!
Anyway, been busy sorting out the front suspension, checking it's all true, doesn't bind, measuring up for the steering rack (just ordered from Titan) and thinking about front coil over shocks etc.
I then will be looking at the column/gearchange and maybe re-doing my seat as not 100% happy with the current one, suspect then get a brake kit for the front sorted, should be able to get 300mm discs in there which should be more than enough.
So hopefully some pics for you, one showing general layout of the suspension and the other the top outboard wishbone mount, we can shim the steering arm out to adjust camber without having to re do the steering rack adjustment.

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 631
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 694

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome back Chris! We'd been wondering where you had gone off to....

Looking quite good!
Is there enough room to get some jam-nuts on those heim joints?

Welcome back Chris! We'd been wondering where you had gone off to....

Looking quite good!
Is there enough room to get some jam-nuts on those heim joints?

Yes, lock nuts will be present, they are only cheap joints currently for mock up work, the proper joints will be put on at final assembly/set up, a long way to go still before that happens, give me a chance to save up for them!!!

Hi all, long time no posts!! Have found out how to post pictures now so will do a little update for you all re the car, work has been progressing a pace this last month and progress has been made.
Steering rack delivered (Titan) and fitted, pedal box assem fitted/master cylinders. Brakes all done, we opted for 300mm fronts and 295 rears both with 4 pot callipers (Hi-Spec). We have had to redesign the steering arms to cope with the rack position, bump steer minimized with final setting once the new arms are done. Seat belts fitted, crotch straps still to be fitted mind.
Gear linkage all done, works very well indeed, very pleased with it, the lever assem is just a rough one (we are getting them CNC'd) with improvements in appearance/simplicity.
I then set about the exhaust system, manifolds done and most of the system done just the cross pipe and tail pipes to add. Radiator is due next week (Pro-Alloy) so will be plumbing that in.
Anyway a selection of pics for you.
18059277513_5ac87984f0_z.jpg
[/url]Image 1 by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]
22483260332_1dd8df1d21_z.jpg
[/url]Image 5 by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]
24282098969_fe39d9ab0a_z.jpg
[/url]Image by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]
24790295530_6a28899599_z.jpg
[/url]Image by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]
25622115796_e6ca69f96f_z.jpg
[/url]Image 1 by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]
so will provide some more updates when they happen.

Keith

Boom! And there he was, back. Good to see you again Chris.. hope you're on the downhill stretch now...:thumbsup:

Chris, I am following closely but silently your build since the begining.
I am planning to do something similar some day, but eleven type numbers before yours...

I would have several questions regarding the process of the tube laser cut. Can you help?

THanks and congrats for this great build.

Olivier.

Chris, I am following closely but silently your build since the begining.
I am planning to do something similar some day, but eleven type numbers before yours...

I would have several questions regarding the process of the tube laser cut. Can you help?

THanks and congrats for this great build.

Olivier.

Hi Olivier,
Yes we can help, if you have the frame designed in CAD then it's easy, although I dont have a clue about it Marcel does, he did my chassis frame for me after I made a the first one, I gave him all the measurements, he did the inputting and then sent the file to one of the companies he knows, 40 minutes later he had all the tubes for a chassis. It's all very clever and stunningly accurate (if the figures entered are correct!) but was new to me working down to .0mm when instead I'm used to 1/16 inch!!
I am currently trying to get Marcel to produce the segments used in a "pie cut" exhaust, as I feel they would be much more accurate done on CNC and laser, a lot quicker too!!
Send me a pm and I can get you Marcel's details.

Back