917 Scratch Build

Done a bit more, exhaust is done bar 2 Lamba sensors (pre-cat) to go in, came out ok in the end, very pleased with it, maybe a tad loud but should be able to make a box to quieten it down and if necessary I can add a couple of cans to the tail pipes.
25756753556_b652f30553_z.jpg
[/url]Image by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]
I have also done a new front body section, much lighter and stronger using Carbon/Glass, a new set of light pods (again lighter), bonded them in and also made a new front hatch buck. The radiator is as large as I can fit plus a little bit so hence the need for a new front hatch. Painted red as I had some in the shed, will flat and polish up then take a mould from it.
26078760930_9e679fe8c6_z.jpg

Radiator is now fitted, need to do the pipes to the donk but very snug.
26106431391_729f2e0af9_z.jpg
And with light pods painted satin black and new front hatch on.
26153145390_24393da015_z.jpg
[/url]Image 4 by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hello Chris
very very neat progress as usual !!!
Rear bracket holding exhaust pipe are very "in period":pleased: :thumbsup:
You are probably working hard for end of may ????

Hope to meet you then for :chug:

Hello Chris
very very neat progress as usual !!!
Rear bracket holding exhaust pipe are very "in period":pleased: :thumbsup:
You are probably working hard for end of may ????

Hope to meet you then for :chug:

Hi Mic, yes, been very busy, I plan to go up on the Sunday, will be there all day, Marcel will be there from Fri eve until Monday eve.
Looking forward to seeing you!

Malcolm

Supporter
On the picture with the exhausts, won't the welds fracture over time? You have different rates of heat expansion yet all solidly fixed together. Did you consider springs as often used to hold exhausts to rear brackets? But looks a great project!

On the picture with the exhausts, won't the welds fracture over time? You have different rates of heat expansion yet all solidly fixed together. Did you consider springs as often used to hold exhausts to rear brackets? But looks a great project!

Quite possibly Malcolm, but we have done a complete re-design of all the suspension/uprights, to make it more in keeping with the original one and to improve the geometry etc. So have been busy redoing the rear chassis to allow the fitment of the new suspension. So this exhaust system will probably end up in the bin and I will make another, using springs as they do on most formula cars.
Thanks it's been a long old road!
But I have had some invaluable help from a very knowledgeable fellow who frequents this forum, without his input the car would be half the car it will be once finished. I hope to have the chassis finished/painted by Christmas (this year!!!) with a view to starting final assembly in the New Year, that's the plan. I will update you all when I feel we are getting somewhere!

Actually Malcolm, in all fairness, Chris has not shown a final fix of his pipes to the support frame, and if he were to use some small "cotton reel" rubber mounts to support those tail pipes he would probably be OK. The run of piping is relatively short and the manifolds are well supported by each cylinder head if Chris is using an air cooled 911 type engine.

On my straight through pipes it is the ONLY support I use as engine "flex" is virtually nill and they are the same mounts since 2004. Mind you I rarely get the chance to run open pipes so they have only had about 20 hours of running in that configuration. Sadly, as you you well know, virtually all race meetings are DB regulated and finding room for, and effectively silencing these engines, is a visual and logistic nightmare.

Having said all that I am certain that Chris will have to fix some good and effective silencers to the system if it is going to pass IVA tests or even be road usable without them.

Chris, you may even be deaf already !!!!!!!!!

Original type fixing on Martini Kurz version is similar to my set-up on open pipes, and certainly Chris,s is on similar lines.

Attachments

• Picture Spa 917 018.jpg
    Picture Spa 917 018.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 622
Morning all, on the scrounge!! Does anyone know or have any Geze catches they would be willing to sell or point me in the right direction to obtain some? I have scoured the vintage ski sections of E-bay, tried Gunner (no reply) and I did have a lead on a chap in the States who used to make them but that came to naught.
I have found that the American Army cable binding latches look very similar but not the same, certainly usable and maybe adaptable but I thought I'd ask in here before i get some from the States.
I hope to do an update on progress in the next week or so, we have been very busy indeed with a complete re-design of the suspension/uprights and chassis frame, so a lot of work but I hope to have all the suspension etc bolted on by the end of this week so I will do an update then (if I can remember how to post pictures!!)
regards Chris

Hello Mr Noo
Nice to read you again there !!!
Hope to watch you new suspension ready !!!

I can probaly help you with a pair of those ski bendings !!!

Chris the 2 pairs I found where 25 euros each pair ; have to dig out the second pair I have somewhere ( the address is sticked on the box I stored this spare second hand one )and will send you the link where to have one similar

Thre was also achap in the US building another 917 from scratch ; on his site he posted how to build those from aluminium folded parts ; result was not so bad for a first attempt
thought and paying just a little work they could be perfect
There was the unfolded pics from where to pickup sketches if I remind
Will try to dig out those pics for as well

Last edited:
Well at long last an update for you all, I do apologize for for such a delay. I will describe what we have done to the car since my last post and chuck a few pictures in and then probably follow this up with a couple more posts as all the modifications took place.
Firstly I received a very generous offer from someone on here to help re-design the complete suspension, to be more "original" and also to actually do what it is supposed to do on a car like this, i.e. work! As you can all imagine this took some considerable time to re-engineer all on Solidworks and then implement, fortunately I was busy with harvest but I tried to help out when I had any spare moments with much measuring, photographing and more measuring.
So I will just post some pics, first one is of all the new tubes in the rear of the chassis (it is inverted in the picture)
30121142713_e68c4bcc32_z.jpg
[/url]Chassis Mods by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]
If you compare it to the old chassis it is like chalk and cheese!!
Next showing the start of the rear wishbone mounts.
30982588105_dee1ff5517_z.jpg
[/url]Rear WB Mounts by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]
The newly re-designed uprights prior to anodizing, we used the larger Porsche bearings (80mm) and stayed with the Cayman S hubs.
32078018506_641775aebc_k.jpg
[/url]Uprights by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]
And while I was waiting for parts I started to do all the interior panels, inner sills, rear bulkhead etc etc.
31463139244_74d4bcfdbd_z.jpg
[/url]Image 1 by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]
Dash assem, this will be flatted down to reduce glare.
32584406695_6b96dd7ff5_z.jpg
[/url]Dash by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]

Eventually the uprights came back and I had amassed all the parts needed to build them up.
31662662754_1597dc1103_z.jpg
[/url]Rear Upright by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]
As you can imagine I had to re-do all the suspension mounts again, thoughtfully re-designed also but where my chassis is effectively an old one, certain things differ from an eventual production chassis.
Anyway a rear upright installed.
32307535410_84576759cc_z.jpg
[/url]Rear Upright by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]
Fuel tank installed and pump/filters and pressure regulator fitted.
31838185333_0274d1098b_z.jpg
[/url]Fuel Pump/Filters by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]
Front suspension installed.
32745893676_349fc2d2d2_z.jpg
[/url]Front Suspension by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]
31957257034_6c94a6ae8d_b.jpg
[/url]Front on by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]

And finally where I am today, just having put the rear shocks and springs in situ and all the rear suspension on, it even moves!!!! As I found out as the thing nearly rolled off the steel level framework!!!
Anyway, none of this would have been possible to achieve without the dedicated time and effort from Michel, who has helped no end in the re-design and without his help (much needed!!) the car would only be half the car it will be, so Michel, thank you!
Some rear upright pics.
32007748213_83652c6fdc_z.jpg
[/url]Rear by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]
32007747663_1437740740_z.jpg
[/url]Rear on by ChrisHE8, on Flickr[/IMG]

As you can imagine there has been loads of work that has been done, a lot has not mentioned or listed but there is a log via pictures of all the work that has been done on my Flickr page, from moulding up intake trumpets to seats to intake covers etc etc etc.
Linky here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/47153142@N03/albums/72157623861979360

Wow just looked through your flicker log. A long way to go over the last few years. I rather like your first rear uprights. Might you be interested in selling them?

Wow just looked through your flicker log. A long way to go over the last few years. I rather like your first rear uprights. Might you be interested in selling them?

Hi Mike, I PM'd you, not sure if you got it? I assume you are referring about the cast alloy ones, I still have them.

Back