A new size for te GT40?

Keith

I'm with you Jim I'm only 5'6" and 170 so fit won't be an issue for me but my wife is 5'10" and a bit concerned but I'm still working on her :)

Hope you don't think I'm being cheeky here Tim, but is it true what I've heard? :)

Keith

No not the Bird Jack, (but I did hear a birdie say that it is definitely The Word), no, what I was trying to ascertain from Tim, was the veracity of that old urban myth regarding vertical differences in humanoids.

Is it true?

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
No matter the size these cars are never going to be practical.

For me they represent a nostalgic door to my childhood. Though the original will never be within my grasp I can own a tribute to a time when cars were magical. Tested and refined on the track full of compromise and fault. Those faults and compromises are what I love.

I have a 2009 Nissan GTR. It represents the pinnacle of performance. I can routinely get 3.6sec to 60 and sub 9sec to 100 and the cornering speeds are just stupid. It makes me a much better driver than I am on a track. Nothing I build here will approach that performance. However, I do not love that car as it has no faults.

Best,

Ron

A Ford GT is probably the easiest answer to your problem. I have an '06 GT, and while I would still like a MkV (or a Mirage), the GT is a far more livable car that has unbelievable performance.

No matter the size these cars are never going to be practical.

For me they represent a nostalgic door to my childhood. Though the original will never be within my grasp I can own a tribute to a time when cars were magical. Tested and refined on the track full of compromise and fault. Those faults and compromises are what I love.

I have a 2009 Nissan GTR. It represents the pinnacle of performance. I can routinely get 3.6sec to 60 and sub 9sec to 100 and the cornering speeds are just stupid. It makes me a much better driver than I am on a track. Nothing I build here will approach that performance. However, I do not love that car as it has no faults.

Best,

Ron

Ron,

Interesting shout there... I drive a 911 (flame suit on :) ), which, like your GTR has NO faults (I'm touching wood here), but I love it because of this reason. A daily driver to me (which the 911 is) should start and stop every time with no muss no fuss. I could have chosen lots of other exotica but didn't.
I've never really understood the concept of loving something more because it breaks. I can' remember the number of times that I've been stuck at the side of the road in my old TVR (don't go there...) or MG, or GT6 or any number of sports cars I've owned over the years.

The classic one is for people to go misty eyed over an old Alfa that they owned, and then go into two pints worth of anecdotes about how they had to fix this, that and the other whilst juggling balloons filled with hydrogen over a burning spit etc...

Its such an interesting part of human nature that we do this, and yet whilst these events are taking place, the only language to be heard is "FUCKING HELL YOU PIECE OF SHIT, WHY WON'T YOU FUCKING START AAAAAAAAAAAARGH" and then a Basil Fawlty moment is seen as you kick the car (or use a fallen branch in his case).

Personally, I like a car that does what it's supposed to, and that doesn't include breaking down.

Now, why did I buy a GT40 replica then.....? :laugh::laugh:

Graham.

No not the Bird Jack, (but I did hear a birdie say that it is definitely The Word), no, what I was trying to ascertain from Tim, was the veracity of that old urban myth regarding vertical differences in humanoids.

Is it true?

Google revealed many myths which are you curious about??? you can pm if you want

Keith

Google revealed many myths which are you curious about??? you can pm if you want

Oh Hi Tim, sorry, trying not to be indelicate since it involves your spouse, but I guess what I was asking was, er, is it true then that everyone is the same size lying down despite any height differences? :eek:

In my case yes she is very leggy but I suspect it is not the case with her sister who has a very long torso. Nothing to be embarased about but then again we both have a master in Biology so it seems like normal quesitons to me. We both taught non majors biology while in grad school and the questions you would get are far more bizarre than this.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
No need to reinvent the wheel:

*B&B Manufacturing - GT-45 Coupe

There's not much info available, don't even know if it is mid-engine or not (can't imagine it would be anything else), but a bit larger it is.

Cheers from Doug!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I emailed B&B asking for a bit more info on the GT45, specifically if it was named GT45 b/c the roofline was at 45" off the ground, here's most of what the proprietor had to say:

"thank you for the e mail, and yes that is how we came up with the name, i am 6'2" and could not fit into a gt40 at all so we took an original dimension car and made the roof line a few inchs taller and then mounted the fuel tank up front so we could get the saddle tanks out of the interior and this is waht we came up with, now my finished car is really different in the fact that it has an all alum mid engine Honda v6 not the v8 so I added even more interior room anf the car run great but with a little frame mod you can still run a v8 if wanted,"

Doug

Hmm, right. But if we want practical we'll get a Mercedes Vito or something. How about a stretch 40, with room for four, for those wedding occasions. I'm afraid there is only one original shape (OK, Mk I, Mk II, Mk III, MkIV, then) that is acceptable, externally at least. Ten percent bigger would leave the wheels, lights, door handles, etc. looking odd.

I'm another one who suggests that we should show respect for the past, to leave the design, shape, specs and ergonomics of the original GT40 alone, and that owners/drivers can work to accomodate themselves to that design.
It's easy for me to say - 5'10" and 175lbs. I also own a Ford GT, not a GT40. But truth is that I bought the newer model (the GT44!) because of it's power, refinement and civility, but miss the classic shape and raw feel of the GT40.
In either case, they are not DD's. Not only due to the risk of getting trapped with the doors closed, but the fact that these cars are so valuable that I would never risk parking them near mere mortals, and risking the rough life that my Prius or Porche 997 may live.
No amount of mod'ding will turn this classing in to a practical car but nothing creates the appeal and admiration of this 1960's design. It is incredible, every time I look in the garage, that the beautiful shape of the FGT has retained the visceral beauty that is head and shoulders above any other car on the market.
I say leave it alone, cope with it's design, and admire and respect it.

Back