A new size for te GT40?

Sept.25/10
I'd like to share a suggestion with the GT 40 community that will first sound like total heresy
but I'd still like feedback. When I read about the issues of daily driving most owners will
complain about loud noise, low head room , high heat levels, poor visibility due to low
height etc. You may say that most owners will race the car. But why should it not be an acceptable daily driver like the Corvette.? Companies that make replicas would love to increase their production levels. My idea? Increase the car's overall size by 10% but don't change the classic shape. The roof will now be 44 inches high, length, width will all increase
by 10%. Drive train will remain the same. Additional weight will be in slightly larger chassis
and bigger bodywork. Motors can easily compensate for the increased weight. Ergonomic
improvements will be greatly appreciated by all and the silhouette will remain eternal.Now which company is ready to stick their necks out for a shot at a future?

Jake1

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
most owners will complain about loud noise, low head room , high heat levels, poor visibility due to low height etc. ... Increase the car's overall size by 10%

Of the four complaints you list, only low head room would be significantly corrected by the size change.

I don't recall that many complaints about not being able to see UP enough. There are certainly worse visibility problems than that, for example, to the rear, and over the front.

The headroom issue can be mitigated several less drastic ways, including lowering the seat (a little), adopting an even more "laid back" driving position, expanding the "Gurney Bubble", all of which are significantly easier than producing an entirely new frame, body, glasswork, etc. Also that's enough of a dimensional change that tailligts, headlights, door handles, etc. would have to be scaled up as well. Now you've lost economy of scale on some parts that would be *extremely* expensive in small quantities. OTOH 17" wheels would suddenly be a more reasonable option....

If a tall guy really wanted to go that far to solve the problem, wouldn't it make more sense to just buy a 2005 GT? It can always be made noiser and hotter inside.
:idea:

Anyway, MY solution to all those complaints is called a Lexus. Works really well, athough it's more than 10% bigger and does not resemble a GT40 in any way whatsoever.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Actually DAX GT40 replicas were 44" tall. And someone on this forum was working on a plus-sized GT40 at one point. I don't think you'd get enough interior added volume to make it work all the huge trouble and expense.

A better alternative would just be to buy a Pantera, which is a similar car in some ways, but far more suitable for real road trips. If that's what you want, of course.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
......expanding the "Gurney Bubble....

Like this, for example:

Chassis%201021%20No67%20Nbrgrng%2067 small.jpg

Or, just build a roadster:

66seb01z%20Miles-Ruby%20Ford%20X1 small.jpg

Last edited:

Keith

So, you like 'em big(ger) huh? :)

Check out "The Giant" on this forum = do a search.

I'm sure BillE will build you one....:thumbsup:

Biggest problem I see with a daily driver is that if someone parks next to the driverside of the car, then no matter how big you make the car you still can't get out.

It's called a Fiero . Bigger cabin , even with me chopping the top , more leg room . V8s do fit , eliminating the fire hazard . And you can get out in close parking lots !

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

I have a DAX GT40 and yes they are slightly taller not by much but about 1 inch. Added 1 inch to bottom of the door and also under the air scoop on rear clip - front clip likewise has "extended legs"

Dax was building these in the late 1980's early 1990's and theiy realised in 30 years the average height of the population had increased and they made their car accordingly.

Daily driver - not really. I've been parked in 4 times so for! - too close to get the door open and had to push my car out of a parking before getting in.
Hot - yes you can insulate and add aircon
Noisy - again insulation and quiet exhausts will help
Heavy steering - some have already fitted power steering
Waterproof - I don't think any manufacturer has managed to get this sorted
Change the GT40 - no it's an icon from a past year and is a race car that can be driven on the road

Ian

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Strikes me funny that everyone who wants a GT40 is over 6'(180cm) and 15 stone (~90kg ) --- thats the max. --if you're over that forget it, or put up with it.
As a daily driver, it was never meant to be.
Its a purpose built lemans type endurance race car for that era --anything else is just a personal expression.
IMO :blank:

Ron Earp

Admin
My idea? Increase the car's overall size by 10% but don't change the classic shape. The roof will now be 44 inches high, length, width will all increase
by 10%.

It has been done. Search for posts by a user named "Bill E". Not sure how successful it was or if the cars were completed.

Sept. 27/10
Thanks for the flurry of interesting responses. The allegiance to the gt40 is loud and clear.
I submit however that a true change in size alone has never really been tried by any company or individual as far as I know. (Except maybe the Lone star model from Texas)
Before discarding the concept totally it would be interesting just to do a virtual study
on CAD on the body and chassis to assess if there are any ergonomic and/or performance gains worth considering by this 10% boost. The question is likely best answered by an experienced
automotive racing engineer familiar with the car.

I believe DAX was the first stretch version of the original - it was slightly taller. Then the new GT came out and it is about 10% bigger than the original.

This is the first time in my life I have been glad to be only 5'8" and 175 pounds. Yes I am fat but I can fit in a GT40.

I'm with you Jim I'm only 5'6" and 170 so fit won't be an issue for me but my wife is 5'10" and a bit concerned but I'm still working on her :)

Back