A new starter

Hey guys, im currently looking at getting a GT40 kit sometime soon, MDA and Tornados seem pretty good for me. Im not after a comparison on here, ill use the search function before the flaming starts. Theres a good few days reading on here, some of the build logs are very impressive and can only hope my car turns out half as good as the ones on here! Im totaly new to kit car building and get the impression im jumping in the deep end slightly, but that tends to be the way I like it! Think my engineering skills are upto the job, although the more I read the more I realise how little I know about transaxles, its all looking a bit bit greek now :)

Rob.

Hi Rob
Welcome to the world of GT40's. If you are serious about building then drop me a Private Message so I can let you have my number. You could call and have a proper chat as their is a lot to building a 40 which I am half way through doing myself. If you fancied a drive to Manchester your welcome to have a look at the SouthernGT I am working on. Good luck.

Regards Martin
See build logs. SouthernGT No8.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Rob,

For me, three factors will go a long way towards determining which transaxle you'll want: horsepower, driving style and the size of your bank account.

Click HERE for an excellent place to start your research. There's some real good information in that thread.

Be sure you take up Martin's generous offer. When I started my research into 40s, several long conversations and a close-up inspection of a replica made all the difference.

You're in for a great adventure. Welcome to the forum.

T.

Hi Rob, welcome!
What seems to be left out is the late (to '87) Porsche 930 gearbox. It takes little to it run inverted and if you can find an LSD version so much the better. Although a 4 speed, the gear ratio's are quite suitable for a V-8.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome! All I know so far is that im looking for about 350-400HP from a 302 motor, although I probably dont have the biggest budget.

Cheers for the offer Martin, the outlaws live in Wigan so if we're over that direction ill drop you a message, im always open to an excuse to get away for the day :)

Last edited:
Rob,

If you are up this way I am in Warrington and also building a Southern GT you are always welcome to drop in and have a look, and I promise not to wear my Warrington shirt.

Nick

Cheers nick! Not such a big rugby fan myself, its my other halfs family that you have to worry about! Im a leeds united supporter, sucker for punishment.

Rob
Welcome to the forum. I have a factory built MDA and will be taking it to Brighouse, Yorks early July (3rd -5th) if you could get down that way I could take you out for a spin. Mine is running a 302 with 350HP and through a Renault 21 turbo gearbox. It handles the power nicely but then I have mine set up for road use and am quite gentle on the standing start.

Thanks for that chris! Unfortunatly im at a wedding that weekend in deepest darkest lincolnshire. I might be free on the sunday tho if i can get away, is there a show on? Your car sounds about the same spec as I would be looking at. Would be nice to have a sit and get a feel for the layout, im just about a six footer so would like to get an idea of size and that.

Back