Alternative Energy Sources discussion

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Everyone - no more name calling. Keep it civil, obey the rules you know are in place or I lock it up.

Helion is just up the road from me and I’m familiar with the company leaders.

Helion still has a very long way to go ahead of it before they have a workable solution both technically and commercially. But it’s good to see the innovation progress.

Fusion is vastly different than fission in all respects - efficiency, waste, safety, commercialization. You really can’t use assumptions about any of there considerations as they apply to fission and say it’s similar for fusion. It isn’t. Far from it.

Fusion represents a huge potential step forward in nuclear power generation but the technical challenges are years away from being solved…likely decades. The long standing joke about fusion power is it’s 30 years away. Always 30 years.

However, clearly there’s good progress being made. To accelerate the rate of innovation will take some government support and regulation, so think about who you’re voting for in this next election.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If it was a proven article of an onboard Hydrogen convertor system I would be much more interested!
Are you speaking of a system where all you do is fill up a tank with water and the conversion process breaks the water down to its base elements which are then used in an internal combustion engine?
I’m pretty sure that all those hydrogen conversion devices we’ve seen over the last few decades have been debunked - but I’m open to being enlightened…

Neil

Supporter
Are you speaking of a system where all you do is fill up a tank with water and the conversion process breaks the water down to its base elements which are then used in an internal combustion engine?
I’m pretty sure that all those hydrogen conversion devices we’ve seen over the last few decades have been debunked - but I’m open to being enlightened…
Simply pass electric current through ionized water... it works but
1. Where does the electricity come from?
2. The whole process is terribly inefficient.
2. Etc, etc, etc.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Simply pass electric current through ionized water... it works but
1. Where does the electricity come from?
2. The whole process is terribly inefficient.
2. Etc, etc, etc.

Not to mention the volume it would take for the lack of BTU’s and to get a proper Air-Fuel Ratio for almost any given engine..

In a word'YES', Info I was given by a third party-probably in the hope I would build it- originated from the USA and a guy who said he was in a rock group that toured cost to coast in a 60's Caddy and details the work & process's taken to make it all work.I'd tossed it all in a filing cabinet, but publicity about a system being developed over here for use in large diesel trucks etc, but being refilled at a purpose built filling station that process's the hydrogen on site generated some interest- probably a pun-! Band name was Rampage if that helps any old rockers on the site.

Neil

Supporter
Ford Motor Company ran an experimental hydrogen-powered car at Bonneville back in about 2004. The track officials were so wary of it they located it about 1/4 mile beyond the pits (where everyone else was). The car ran, just not very fast but the "Hindenburg experience" made everyone leery of even getting near that car.

Ford Motor Company ran an experimental hydrogen-powered car at Bonneville back in about 2004. The track officials were so wary of it they located it about 1/4 mile beyond the pits (where everyone else was). The car ran, just not very fast but the "Hindenburg experience" made everyone leery of even getting near that car.
Yes, the writer of the info given to me mentioned that FORD effort as well as BMW having a running car as well and IMPCO were supposed to be developing a 'gas' carb. The volume in the convertor plans given to me was only around 4 lires, when I think of the LPG conversions that were common here in NZ had tanks in the order of 100 litres or more.Ive seen more publicity about EV's going up in flamesthan any Hydrogen 'blow up's in that period. The Hindenberg has extended the 'story' way past its timeline than it probably deserved! Having said that a mate who found out how to make oxy/acetylene bombs scared the crap out of both of us!

Brilliant.

Use 3 KWh of electricity to break H2O into 2 KWh worth of H2 and O2, then burn in in an engine at 35% efficiency and get steam out the tail pipe for emissions.

Wait, why not use the electricity to drive an electric motor at 90% efficiency? Oh yea, the battery...

Brilliant.

Use 3 KWh of electricity to break H2O into 2 KWh worth of H2 and O2, then burn in in an engine at 35% efficiency and get steam out the tail pipe for emissions.

Wait, why not use the electricity to drive an electric motor at 90% efficiency? Oh yea, the battery...
Running late already
and:https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/37888377.html
enjoy the reading
Paul

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I heard of a group experimenting with Hydrogen generation by using regenerative braking to generate the hydrogen. This in turn was stored and fed into the engine at take off for a little extra oomph. Better to use the braking energy rather than just generate heat. I don’t think much came of it.

Ian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I heard of a group experimenting with Hydrogen generation by using regenerative braking to generate the hydrogen. This in turn was stored and fed into the engine at take off for a little extra oomph. Better to use the braking energy rather than just generate heat. I don’t think much came of it.

Ian
I would think that regeneration to charge up a bank of super-capacitors for that start-up jolt might be a better option?

I would think that regeneration to charge up a bank of super-capacitors for that start-up jolt might be a better option?
Hybrid cars have some amount of regen braking. The Toyota synergy hybrid transaxle is brilliant how it plays the 3 motors and 1 planetary gear set against each other to make it a CVT.

Can't find the better video I saw a few years back, but

Neil

Supporter
Yes, the writer of the info given to me mentioned that FORD effort as well as BMW having a running car as well and IMPCO were supposed to be developing a 'gas' carb. The volume in the convertor plans given to me was only around 4 lires, when I think of the LPG conversions that were common here in NZ had tanks in the order of 100 litres or more.Ive seen more publicity about EV's going up in flamesthan any Hydrogen 'blow up's in that period. The Hindenberg has extended the 'story' way past its timeline than it probably deserved! Having said that a mate who found out how to make oxy/acetylene bombs scared the crap out of both of us!
The Ford hydrogen-powered car used a fuel cell powered by H2 to create electricity. Of course more EVs went up in flames compared ti H2 blow-ups. How many H2 powered cars were on the road- virtually none in comparison.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hybrid cars have some amount of regen braking. The Toyota synergy hybrid transaxle is brilliant how it plays the 3 motors and 1 planetary gear set against each other to make it a CVT.

Can't find the better video I saw a few years back, but

I purchased and owned a new 2007 Camry Hybrid for a few years. At 50k miles, the brakes in the car were still literally new. Regenerative braking was highly optimized in that car and on the whole - I was truly impressed by the engineering…. I cannot remember when, if at all, the car delivered less than 40Mpg. Generally it was 42 in combined city/highway driving.

Back