an amazing bit of flying

Unintended Loop at Takeoff of new F-35...

This pilot has Nerves of Steel, probably couldn’t do this again even if he tried! -

Read below before watching the video clip.

The F-35 is a vertical takeoff supersonic jet for the Navy and the Marines.
I would say there's nothing about this incident the pilot enjoys other than
the end result.
If he could have ejected at 100' upside down and lived, he would have.

Looks like the afterburner kicks in while still vectored for vertical
takeoff. DUH!
Lockheed would call this a "software malfunction" and needs to do a little
more "regressive testing". Good demo of power-to-weight ratio of this
aircraft! And some unbelievable stability control.
If he didn't come out of the loop wings-level, it probably would have been
bad news, maybe taking some of the carrier with him!
Flying through your own exhaust can lead to equipment malfunctions, too, but
fortunately he avoided that.
This is probably the most unbelievable piece of flying you will ever see in
your life. This is how a supremely well-trained US Navy pilot with ice water
running in his veins instead of blood, fully regains control of his $70
million fighter jet, after a problematic vertical take-off attempt that
would have killed you or me.
At the top of the screen watch as the rear vertical thruster fires to cause
the problem

bits and bobs :: f-35.mp4 video by stryka_01 - Photobucket
cheers John

Wow, that's amazing! Looks like he got a nice bit of lift off the deck there being as he was only maybe 40 feet off it when he came around.

Yes, looks like the burners kicked in with the thrust still being directed partially downward. Yikes. That'll wake you up.

WTF, that was amazing, absolutely awesome. Not only did he save himself and the plane, he save a load of guys on the ship............................unless it was CG! ;-)

Have a proper look at the planes shadow, it's just toooo perfect and clearly defined.....we've all been had! CGI!

Simon

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I tend to believe the same, but still open to being convinced it was unintentional. Perfect timing out of the loop and "on he goes".

Regardless, quite an aircraft indeed.

That's actually a video game called Battle Field 2, and this is the old game from some years ago! You should see what they have done with the new version, here's a screen shot:

battlefieldstore_vip.jpg

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
My greatest disappointment with the new "digital" world is the easy manipulation and creation of "events" that either never happened, or happened differently than the "documented" photo implies.

With the constant influx of modified photographs revealing what a skilled Photoshop crafter can do, I once again feel another nail of skepticism and cynicism in my little world's coffin.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I think being heavily exposed and involved in the computer world has trained my eye to catch such things. Still images are much easier to modify and make look realistic because per-pixel modification can be done with great tools such as photoshop. Videos and such are much harder since its hard to duplicate real world physics and getting lighting perfect, especially on shiny or reflective surfaces.

Also, if this were real, wouldn't the main rotor of the helicopter on the ground at least be moving from the massive thrust of the jet just feet away? :)

hoppy

Lifetime Supporter
John, not necessarily as the rotor can often have a brake to hold it still.
However this was obviously a a fake (CGI?)

David,

The rotor blades would still have flapped with the rotor brake on and no movement of any equipment on the deck so therefore no "jet blast".Photoshop.

just goes to show even those of us who think were smart can be had, but not knowing anything about airplanes or carriers, i took it at face value and thought it was the real deal.
bugger dont you hate that.
cheers John

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
John,

Thats a cool vidio,

Although not a very acurate dipiction of Wake Island!

I lived on Wake for over three years and although the general shape appears right, and there are/were two bridges between Wake and Peal and Wake and Wilkes, there were virtually no hills and no palm trees when we were there!

You guys didn't get these videos from Fox did you?

Take it easy guys, thats a joke.

Back