Any sailor out there?

I reopen my old thread of last year :)

a friend here wrote " a class catamaran is the gt40 of the sea". Now I sail theme, and are honestly too fun, and absolutely the future of sportive sailing.

I am working a lot here to promote this kind of sailing.Incredible to say but here in Italy we have incredibly nice sea,warm and with a landscape simply stunning.
Italians dont sail.They mostly BLA about sailing.For me was incredible to know people owning nice ships and not using theme.Only parket to show up to girls and tell BS about wannabee adventure.
I am born in Milano, where wind and sea are something simply not available.Italy is incredible for sailors.Also cause u can plan the tour of italy....from the sea side.

My first buy was last year an A class coming from "war zone" (I mean simply falling down,ugli and painted in flat black) but was anyway an A class, so a real bullet in the water.Enjoyed it too much and destroyed in the sea.Few money , maximum result.
Was a too nice satisfaction to pass in full speed luxury boats;)also funny to know usually sailors used to big ships are not used to sail small ultra fast ones.
Catamarans are absolutely the future of this sport;as u all know next americas cup will be done as match race with extreme 40's
Hope one day I can place my ass over an Extreme 40. For now I want to share with u this nice pic, coming from a place where water is not warm and not easy to sail ;) But brit, scandinavians and french are serious sailors.
In italy we are few...but I hope good ones ;)

s10_16272819.jpg

happy sailing to all out there...or as we say here... BUON VENTO (good wind ;)) !!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Paolo,

I was up in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and they had the AC45 boats out with full Wing, hard sails.

Man those things really move!

I can't wait until they break out the AC72's. It's not going to take very long to get around that course. Assuming they can keep them from pitch poleing.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Paolo,

I just re read you post, as i understand, the next Americas Cup will be raced not in Extreme 40s but in 72 foot wing sail monsters:)

The AC45 boats are designed to help keep the cost down. It's a one design hull that the teams will test their wing designs and run lots of practice races.

Then next year the purpose built 72 ft Cup boats will turn up For the LVT and for the races in SF.

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Don't forget the Kiwis and the Aussies, they are very proficient sailors. They have come over here and beaten our asses quite a few times.

Annapolis is a great place to live if you like sailing. You run into well-known people in the sailing world from time to time. Like Bruce Farr at a New Years' party a few months ago, etc. I don't sail, I have a powerboat, but my goddaughter sails, and she comes here and crews whenever she can..

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Paolo,

What I'm wondering is how do the take these wing mast boats into port?

The can't drop the mast, and they have stays and shrouds so you can't just turn the mast into the wind.

For the life of me I can't figure out how they can de-power these babys.

I sale a Hobie 17 and a Windrider Rave Trimaran Hydrofoil. When the Rave comes out of the water and 'flies' on the foils, it is an incredible rush at 1.6 x the speed of the wind!

Jim, i really have no idea.
Or they have special ports for theme,maybe in closed areas,but really never saw a pic of theme parked as other boats.More they take twice space of an ordinary (big) ship.

Hobiecats are too fun really.I started with an hobie 18,then tried the 16 and actually contracting over the price for a 14.Old toy smelling California and windsurf.Too welldone really, much more safe,easy and easy to manage than any other modern one.Soon we would test the old hobie 18 with new carbon fiber regata sail.
think the hobiecat is a real legend, imho one of the greatest of all the time.

...and Jim R. ;) kiwi and aussies are worldwide known as some of the really best ones.I dream to sail with theme one day and learn a little more.My way is still long to go, but sailing is really too nice (for me now, the sport sailing).
the same for scandinavians, even if water is very very cold.And dutch...and spanish...and France ;)

I am still disappointed to see how people as my italians with the lucky to have a lot of warm and too nice sea with good wind are not sailors at all.I live in a place 400 kmts far from a sea,so every minute near it means only sail sail sail...even if it will be in a little laser (another american masterpiece I learned and love)

Back