Any sailor out there?

Chuck

Supporter
Gosh, these GT 40s guys are a talented lot ! Cars, planes and now boats!

Been sailing for 25 years. Currently sail a 373 Beneteau. Have sailed several spots in the Caribbean, most frequently the Virgin Islands.

Great pursuit. Things happen a lot slower at 6 knots.

Years ago I did a lot of Dinghy sailing - all on freshwater lakes. Mostly in Rhodesia and then Zimbabwe but also in South Africa

Started in Optimist, then Dabchick, then crewed on Fireball, enterprise and 505, made up numbers for an event in a borrowed Finn, similar in a Laser.

Bought an OK and redecked it before beating every other OK in the country, Sold it and biught a GP14 - sailed that one to 3rd place in the National championships and was offered 4 times the purchase price for the boat at the end of the regatta - easy money so I let it go and bought a Formula V with the proceeds.

Sailing was great fun when the weather was hot and the water temperature likewise pleasant if you fell in. (Sailed in T shirt and shorts all year around) In the UK sorry cannot bring myself to get into the sport in the cold winter and even colder water

IAn

Ian, that's interesting you raced OKs....my old Dad was an OK national champ for several years in the 70's and was a top 5 finisher in the worlds pretty consistently. He's where I got my sailing affliction....have raced IOR, IMS pretty extensively in the US here. Now I've got a family tub (Fisher 37) because I have four small kids and it's pretty family friendly.

Sail on!

part owner of an 18 foot P Cat in Hawaii a while back - lost her on the reef.

Tried a small 12 footer at Mauritius during my honeymoon and turned it turtle.

I suck at sailing.

Apparently, I was on the deck of a Cal 25 the day after I was born. Have been sailing extensively for 43 years now with lots of racing action in there too, mostly big boats like IOR 40s (Frers 40) and some IMS. It's in my blood.

Now I have a much slower family tub (Fisher 37) for family sailing. It's great, built in England, tough as nails, high freeboard so kids don't easily fall overboard. Wonderful family fun.

Keith

Sometimes ago, (I dont remember if it was Ron or Paul Thompson ) open a similar thread about motorbikes people in our forum.

Now I try mine one, cause since some time I deeply fall in love with sailing.

I am not a rich kid, so here I can only train myself in "very physical" sailing, mostly over small boats (laser...470's,X14,soon racing katamarans as X2),and this love come from my frequent travelling in north europe where a lot of people loves to sail even if sea condition up there are not exactly a paradise of warm.
Looking scandinavians sailing in all weather conditions,I sayd myself:it is possible I am italian, cityboy and I dunno anything about sailing?Now I can, and this sport is something now I deeply love.

So, guys....is there any sailor between forum friends?:heart:
Many of u are from Australia, Uk, america and new zealand....so THE places where the greatest sailors of today competitions are from.

Hello, Sailor...:love:

Paulo, raced Olympic Finn Class in the '70s and loved every second of it...
Loads of silverware to go with my motor racing stuff and I guess these are my 2 most favourite sports but racing fast dinghies is the ultimate for me.... it's just so peaceful!

I would only say Paulo, that when you get wet with seawater, you will not look too cool and your sunnies will mist over, and if you sail, you will get your Versace wet. I was thinking about writing the Shortest Book in The World, and I would call it: "Italians I have Met Whilst Dinghy Racing"

Also taught sailing for Chichester RYA Sea School.

Now, I drive a fag ex navy gunboat.... :)

but someone else has to tie it up for me..... :drunk:

Good luck though and it will keep you fit for sure. PS, you will have to have a screw, er, sorry CREW! :laugh:

Apparently, I was on the deck of a Cal 25 the day after I was born. Have been sailing extensively for 43 years now with lots of racing action in there too, mostly big boats like IOR 40s (Frers 40) and some IMS. It's in my blood.

Now I have a much slower family tub (Fisher 37) for family sailing. It's great, built in England, tough as nails, high freeboard so kids don't easily fall overboard. Wonderful family fun.

Always loved the Fisher and the Nauticat for a family boat. We nearly bought a 37 but someone else snapped it up before we could complete the deal

Keith

A Fisher 37? Holy moly - you could practically go around the world with that. Great example of one of the very last examples of the British Boat Building industry, built at Northshore Yachts in Chichester Harbour at the head of Itchenor Reach. Believe it or not, went right past there today.. :) Sadly went bust in the '80's along with many other famous names.. :(

Fisher was a great class of boat, and as you say strongly built in the 'Trawler Yacht' genre. Test drove a 30' in the 70's and liked it very much although it neither sailed, or motor sailed respectively very efficiently. However, it did both together magnificently! What motor did yours come with? IRC, the one I test drove sported a 50hp Mercedes Diesel.

Unfortunately, the great British Public seemed to prefer (relatively) cheaply built French Yachts such as Beneteaux and Jeanneau and thus our great heritage was scuppered. In the marina I am at now, there are 2 Fisher 25's and a 37'. Great boats... last forever.

Always loved the Fisher 25 as a great family motorsailer..Played with one, but never owned one. Have a "stink boat" on my drawing board that I had finished designing a few years ago. Trawler/tug yacht type in steel. Did several iterations of her from 22 feet to 30 feet. I'll never get to build her though.

Keith

Always loved the Fisher 25 as a great family motorsailer..Played with one, but never owned one. Have a "stink boat" on my drawing board that I had finished designing a few years ago. Trawler/tug yacht type in steel. Did several iterations of her from 22 feet to 30 feet. I'll never get to build her though.

Bit like my '40 then Jack! :laugh:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I have sailed since I was about 14 which is a long time, mostly around the buoys in Sydney Harbour, some quarter and half ton cup racing and a modicum of blue water sailing.
One of my most enjoyable cruises was the delivery of the 60ft sloop Banjo Patterson from Sydney to Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays when Hamilton first opened.She is still there so when you visit Hamilton Island you can go for a day cruise in her. Molleur I am impressed with that single handed Atlantic crossing, too tough for me.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Come on the Aussies Any of you done any Ausi 18 footer skiff stuff - that always looked like fun to me.

Waaaaaay back I actually placed 4th in the Optimists and the first 3 were selected for the world championships in Turkey- so close

I also almost managed to get a birth in the last ever Cape to Rio yacht race - something like 1976 - just before sanctions really took hold on South Africa and sports inclusion was banned. Damn the politics! I'd definately have been on the boat the next year.

Memories - also had a try in / on a Phantom - single handed boat hugh sail(oversailed) and a trapeeze thrown in for good measure I think that day I spent more time in the water than afloat!

Oh yes and also windsurfers - but on inland waters I could never see much point in them other than to top up my tan!

Ian

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi All

Began my sailing in my early days on 14ft and 16ft cataramans just socially until progressing to larger boats.

About 25 years ago I used to sail and race on a 42ft Lidgard designed yacht in and off the coast of Sydney up until it was sold to a new Zealand businessman and part of the sale conditions was that we had to deliver it to Christchurch in New Zealand.

We left in the middle of July (winter in Australia) and sailed across the Pacific to Auckland and then down to Christchurch.

Coldest sailing trip I have ever been on but thoroughly enjoyed all of it.

These days most of my water adventures revolve aroung water skiing and fishing
and scuba diving.

Dimi

Wow, heaps of sailors here. People tell me yachts are expensive. I tell them try building and racing a GT40! Yachts are cheap in comparison I say.

Me - live on a 42 Bavaria. Very nice way to live for a while. Been there since last Sept and plan is for another 1 1/2 years before reality bites and have to move back to shore again. Don't think I (or the wife) are hard enough to sail across oceans though, but got a couple of trips planned up and down the coast of West Oz.

Makes it hard to pop out to the garage to work on the car though! GT lives some 35 mins away from me on the yacht...so time to leave work now and go start yet more work on it. Not complaining though.

TOO GREAT!
I left some days for the answers, but was sure many of u were also sailors (just didnt know many of u could be SO professionals......)
For the training I am doing now I like a lot small fast boats and catamarans.Few money,mediterranean sea is also a warm sea (and thats very important I think now).Too cool also to learn the strange language we all use in our parts of the world to describe wind directions and parts of the boat.here all comes from old old old italian history!winds as Maestrale, Grecale, Libeccio, Tramontana, Scirocco..Ostro...seems to see the rome's boats sailing!

It is true Keith...Also I noted too many people likes sail world for the fashion it takes (for me is incredible to know there is people spending millions of dollars in wonderful boats...and they have to pay people to sail it, cause they cant do anything at all O_O..).Thanks god there are also a lot of beautiful womans,but thing they prefer to stay naked in the sun over a nice yacht going at 2 knots...than over my A-Class...
The dangerous point is that now I am in Milano paying my taxes..and my brain is only thinking at my little boats in emilia romagna and marche area.

Too cool world, for now I really really love to jump from a side to another trying to make it fly!...unless I rollover ahaha...

Guys, if u have and if u want, think it will be really cool to share some pictures.
I read here many many of u have and had very nice boats, I am too interested, so plz post it.

and also...how is the name of the winds u have out there?

In italian they are:
N= Tramontana
NE= Grecale
E= Levante
SE= Scirocco
S= Mezzogiorno /Ostro
SW= Libeccio
W= Ponente
NW= Maestrale

Keith

and also...how is the name of the winds u have out there?

In italian they are:
N= Tramontana
NE= Grecale
E= Levante
SE= Scirocco
S= Mezzogiorno /Ostro
SW= Libeccio
W= Ponente
NW= Maestrale

BBB = Baked Beans & Beer :)

(Very very strong wind)

Back