Assembling a Monocoque

Rune

Supporter
Mike, I will not comment this, I'm only a builder . This tread will only contain pictures and comments from the building prosess.

Rune

Rune

Supporter
Here are some pictures from the building prosess , it has been a lower building activity then normal for a while now due to the fact that GOX Teknik need a new building to meet the huge request for products both replica and monocoque. You need lots of special machines and space to do the perfect clone of a GT40
So then the new GOX factory building is almost completed 5500 square ft. (550 m2)

Last edited:

Rune

Supporter
Pictures

Attachments

• PICT9053.JPG
    PICT9053.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 2,210
  • PICT9058.jpg
    PICT9058.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2,277
  • PICT9060.JPG
    PICT9060.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 2,449
  • GOX factory1.jpg
    GOX factory1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,834
  • GOX factory.jpg
    GOX factory.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,867
Hey Rune, I've been at Görans place in 2006, and it's nice to see there so much progress, the old place was a bit crowded if I might say.
When do you think to have a rolling chassis?

Rune

Supporter
Hi. I think the chassis will be rolling before the end of 2008. There are one(the first one) rolling on its own wheel already.

Rune

Supporter
Just to give You a small update on the monocoque project .
Things seems to take more time than planned (I still have a famely that want some time etc), but we are steady moving foreward with the project . Here are some pictures that show the floor spotvelded to other parts .
Most parts are now pressed, bent, rolled and velded together to bigger parts. The assembly have started. The first 8 floors outside the old workshop.
Rune

Attachments

• Floor veld.jpg
    Floor veld.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 2,116
  • Floor 2.jpg
    Floor 2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 2,191
  • 8 monos.jpg
    8 monos.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 2,218
Hello Rune
I was wondering if you could take a picture of the rear suspension lower trailing arm chassis attachment point construction
The top trailing arm attachment is always visible but the bottom has been a bit of a mystery since it's hidden
Keep posting
The pictures are fantastic!!
Dennis

Rune

Supporter
I'll try to do so for You , but remind me if I forget it.
John Shand might have a good photo from the angle You ask , he have done this lower trailing suspension arm as rar as I can see from his pictures.

Regards Rune

If I were to do a mono chassis and used galvanized steel I would cut it with waterjet. The fumes from plasma cutter and welding galvanized are not very good for your lungs. Good ventilation and a resporator would be advised. Nice work though Rune.
Dave

Rune

Supporter
We left the cutting to someone else for this project so our lungs ar ok , they use a laser cutter , but the spotvelding produce lots of fumes so ventilation is a must.

Rune most of the welders that welded galvanized wore a resperator that had a canister that hung off the back of the neck connected by two hoses to the mask or air supply. Ventilation is a must for sure to prevent metal fume fever. One of the first signs is sore throat, play safe wear a good resperator, I like your work.
Dave

Rune

Supporter
Here are some pictures showing a small milestone on the road to 13 monocoques.
The GOX team have done some fuel assembly that are ready to be spotwelded to the chassis.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,686
  • index1.jpg
    index1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,692
  • mono 003.jpg
    mono 003.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1,650
  • Monocoque 20081023 003.jpg
    Monocoque 20081023 003.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,636
  • mono 006.jpg
    mono 006.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2,270

Rune

Supporter
Thanks Will, It is not my team , I'm only one of the craftsmen in this team. You can say that I'm one of the lucky gt40 monocoque builders, working (part job)in this factory. "I'm a old hand"

Rune

Back