Audi V10 in Porsche 917 from So. Africa

Some have asked about using Audi V8's & V10's in RCR cars.
I came upon this video of a beautiful Porsche 917 re-creation from So. Africa that sounds absolutely wonderful. I am a huge fan of these Audi V8's & V10's engines. Much better sound than my LS. Glad to see these guys solved any problems with the complex electronics via Motec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22CrGsNeR80

24137d1390140966-v10-into-bailey-917-chassis-image.jpg

Keith

Agree - we like that......

More like that pretty please.. :thumbsup:

Don't take any notice of Alex, he still goes to work on a horse.....:drunk:

Keith

So you're happy to put an iron horse into a thoroughbred like the SLC. I don't know, what are these colonials coming to?

;)

Just kidding around. I wish I could have one - any one!!

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Your biggest problem other than size is the computer and computer programming. plan on anywhere from 2 to 10k for that and that is not including dyno time. the kiss method is best.

Keith

Worth every Pfennig. It makes me laugh - guys will spend $80k on a body and chassis and balk at $20k for the drivetrain, which gives a car it's heart and soul.

Why give an exotic car a wooden heart?

Worth every Pfennig. It makes me laugh - guys will spend $80k on a body and chassis and balk at $20k for the drivetrain, which gives a car it's heart and soul.

Why give an exotic car a wooden heart?

My 917 has a 20k engine (almost 30k if you count the itb manifold :/ ) and 12k transaxle ..... that makes more power .... sounds just as good imho .... and far less maintenance.

I'm not saying the audi-powered 917 up there isn't a nice car, I like it, but I would gladly take an LS over it any day of the week, especially if I'm building the car myself.

My 917 has a 20k engine (almost 30k if you count the itb manifold :/ ) and 12k transaxle ..... that makes more power .... sounds just as good imho .... and far less maintenance.
The difference is the sound. As you said, it all comes down to IMHO. IMHO, that v10 is one of the best sounding engines of all time along with the LFA v10.

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

I completely understand wanting an engine in the SLC that sounds every bit as good as the car looks. The downside of an American V8 is the sound, and for some of us that's a big deal. I know from a practical standpoint the LS series provides wonderful relatively inexpensive power, and that makes complete sense if my goal was a race car on a budget.

But for an exotic street car, where you'll seldom get an opportunity to eek out every bit of performance, having an engine that sounds as good as the car looks is a big plus. Why go the trouble of building an SLC when you can just buy a corvette? If I wanted something that sounded like a corvette, or camaro, or mustang, I'd just buy one.

Seems like one of the Hartley/Holeshot V8's isn't that unreasonable, but I'm not sure if they're really in production yet

106%20engine_619_591_90.jpg

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Sorry, I prefer the rumble of a good old American V8. That V10 just sounds loud. With as much noise as it's making, it seems like it should be going a lot faster ;)

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Folks your still missing the point the cost to go with some of these outlandish exotic motors in getting them to work RIGHT when in your car. Some you have to buy some exotic Lambo pedal that only works with the computer for a Lambo. Or need a genius BMW tuner to get a aftermarket computer to work with a V10 from an M5. You guys need to figure these into your budget. the LS is capable of a lot. ITB, Hemi Heads, 180 crank, but you still have to get that stuff to work and that means a good programmer for the FI system. My ITB system is probably going to cost 3k to tune properly and worry about somebody with no insurance in my car when its finished. Don't think Im not worried about that.

Folks your still missing the point the cost to go with some of these outlandish exotic motors in getting them to work RIGHT when in your car.
Not challenging your expertise but I think you may be missing the point. I don't think anyone on here thinks they can just drop in an exotic engine. There's a lot of dreaming going on in this thread but that doesn't take away from the fact that there are people on here (and off the forum) who have and will spend 3x what they would have on an LS9 for the sound of the an audi v10, ferrari v8, etc. An LS makes sense but since when are car guys sensible ;) The SLC is a dream car so why not make it everything you dreamt about and more. All I can say is after tracking a gallardo with an aftermarket exhaust, It sure makes a nice noise.

Two more videos:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gq93iQjV-c]Bailey re-creation Porsche 917 V10 engine start up cold! - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7oQ_vqlGyA]Bailey re creation Porsche 917 V10 engine start up 004 - YouTube[/ame]

Keith

Oh that is Glorious! If I were to spend overall, something like £75,000 on an SLC I would most DEFINITELY want an 'exotic' motor to go with it. Worth all the hassle.

One thing I do not understand is why you cannot at least run such a motor with the harness and CPU it was born with? Custom intake with ITB's too much of a stretch as well?

Or stick Holleys on it :laugh:

I can see the temptation of the pushrod V8's and even if I were to go US 'muscle' I would opt for a Coyote - it just seems more in keeping with the tech and the era.

Anyway, its yours. You must do what you want with it... :thumbsup:

I'm just amazed seeing a 917 on a public road.
That wouldn't be possible, due to regulations of course, here in the Netherlands!

Back