Best Looking GT40 - Or Worst Looking GT40

Re: Best Looking GT40

The road-going Mk. III version is fugly - just my opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The road-going Mk. III version is fugly - just my opinion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i think its pretty ugly 2, but my favs are boath the Mk 1s listed and the Mk 2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin

You know, I always leave something out of these polls and you can't edit them later....

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

The Mirage gets my real vote - it seems to have taken everything that was right about the '40, then managed to make it even better looking (IMHO). Its not often that a leter version of a car looks better (just look at what happened to Camaros / Vettes / Firebirds / & just about anything else), but I think that the Mirage was an exception.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Ron Earp

Admin

I didn't like the Mirage so much, but I should have had it in there. I'm not a fan of the III so much and even less so of the IV. I like the IV from the front, but at any other angle it doesn't do anything for me. I'm suprised the flaired car is edging out the standard car! Gulf love?

Keith

I don't think the AMGT looks any different from a regular MKI but I like the (lightweight) spec. The Mirage looks a bit unbalanced top to bottom.I still like the MKIII front end for it's swoopy raised wings, and it is an ambition of mine to see a GT with a MKIII front married to a MKI rear end. Regretfully, no-one seems to have carried out this exercise so the jury will remain out. Soooo, MKI with Gulf flares and eeeeenourmous rear tyres with single nostril in 1st place followed by MKII (but would have to have 427 big block on Webers not stroked small block), in close 2nd. Followed by MKIV, although it's growing on me.(IMHO) Hey, I'll take any or all of them!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I prefer the Gulf cars, but for some reason, the replica
manufacturers haven't quite gotten the flares right.

The Mirage is nice, I like the rounded roof, but the canards -
meh.

I also like the Mk Is with MkII periscopes.

The original roadster (XGT-1 ?) wasn't all that appealing,
but Ray Christopher and Fran Kress got it right.

And the very original MkI's with the sharp angular wedge
nose - blech.

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin

I'm not sure what "right" is on the replicas, or the original cars for that matter. Take a brief look through that Allen (I think, the nice color book) GT40 book and there are at least 2, maybe 3 distinct flavors of flairs on the original cars there - take your pick of which one you like.

I think at this point, GT40 replicas are quite good. Thats why there is so much interest in them on this site. They have become quite authentic. We are talking about very small differences. We can see them because we look at pictures of them every day. When I first saw my car, I saw a GT40. Plain and simple. There is one detail that can make our cars look very authentic - the wheels. A lot of people are using a copy of the original BRM wheels. They all look good, but slapping a set of original BRM's will make a world of difference, regardless of the small differences on the body.

......to keep in line with the thread - I like the MK1, Gulf body.

Ian Clark

Supporter

Hi John,

Here's the first picture of your car taken minutes before you and your wife arrived.

Attachments

• 51833-JP1076p1.jpg
    51833-JP1076p1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 556

Ian Clark

Supporter

Hi John,

Okay, The BRM wheels, lots of controversy on rim diameters although I would keep the wheels style appropriate for each model/year. Halibrands on Mk11s and pre '67 Mk1s. That snow hasn't melted yet!

Attachments

• 51835-JP1076outside.jpg
    51835-JP1076outside.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 572

Ian,

Outstanding work! The car was beautiful. I wanted authentic - I got authentic. Better than I expected. After looking at all the details, everything is there. The monocoque is beautiful to look at. The motor sounded mean, The seats are way cool and the RH shift with the ZF is great. It REALLY hard to see a car like that during the winter. I can't wait for the snow to leave and put it through its paces.

Good job Ian. Now I know why frknfast has a permanent smile in all his pictures.

Don't wish away the snow too fast - you've still got at least 6 weeks of cracking skiing only an hours drive from you - lucky bugger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Btw, your car looks stunning.

My choice is for a mk1 with the front corner splitters like 1036, 1051 and 1083 (probably others too, but those are the ones I can remember).

[ QUOTE ]
Best Looking GT40 - Or Worst Looking

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Ron the second question of which is the worst is very interesting, and I would be fascinated to know the answer.

Statistically though this survey won't give you that answer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif For example, it may well be that most people consider the MkIV their 2nd (as do I), or even 3rd favorite, but can't show that in this survey. I know, I know. I'm being pedantic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The worst looking GT40 was the 427 Canam X1 roadster with the 1965 MKII nose complete with headlamps.
The best looking GT40 was the 1964 prototype.
The MKIV is a J car so not connected to the GT40 as the Mirage.
Still I love all of them .
As for peroid wheels a standard MKI (no Gulf flares) looks better with wire borranis.
BRMs were introduced in 1967 so it would be Halibrands or Borranis for me before then.
The other cars that are ugly at some angles are Paul Hawkins last GT40 with a slab sided rear to accomodate larger wheels and tires, the Terry Dury car with the massive inverted tail spoiler and of course the Angolia GT40 with 917 fins on its rear deck ( that look like they have been made out of paper machet???
Regards Allan

Back