Bill's CAV #193 Build - Canadian Made

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Neil, I was just about to look at there site. In looking at the pic, with a bit of work use one handle to pull into the center like some overhead shop doors use.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Stuck waiting for paint so I thought it was time I unpacked a Christmas gift the better half gave me about 12 years ago and get building. Self employment, no room and no grand kids = no ambition. But now it's time to design and build up a 4x10 sheet of plywood for a slot car track. Will be fun having the kids over to smash everything up. Boy am I ever out of date! Could it be just for us old guys?

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Still waiting for the paint. In the mean time and a lot of thought about getting the AC lines forward. I am building my own tunnel. It was an idea I had quite a wile back and then a suggestion from WALT that I make one, it would be in keeping with the dash. It will be higher than CAV's to make room. Spent the weekend making cardboard templates for it and modifying the engine cover/fire wall to clear the AC comp. and bypass hose at the water pump.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
My first start attempt will be after I fit the spider, hopefully for the last time. The dash is installed and will be plugged in while upside down and I have some help to drag me out of the car and when I am satisfied it fits nice with the base of the windshield. lots of whens, This will stop soon as I have called for an inspection, An MVI where I live, in order to register my VIN and get papers required to purchase insurance and plates. I may do it on the 50th anniversary win for 1075.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Getting a little bit done. Door latches,door handles,interior paint and carpet on the fire wall. The carpet was ordered over the phone after I sent a sample of what I wanted to the supplier. The only thing, my sample and the new stuff had in common is that they are black. I think the stuff was made for fur lined panties and Porsche interiors, peed of I was. It'l go on the firewall only. A template for a new console, a little taller to accommodate AC lines.

Attachments

• GOPR0618.JPG
    GOPR0618.JPG
    350.1 KB · Views: 704
  • GOPR0617.JPG
    GOPR0617.JPG
    285.2 KB · Views: 707
  • GOPR0621.JPG
    GOPR0621.JPG
    458.6 KB · Views: 646
  • GOPR0616.JPG
    GOPR0616.JPG
    324.2 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Not a lot of progress, I made a plate to cover the area below the engine cover that, for a change, IT FIT. I was across the street with my buddy/fabricator and took a couple of pic's he doesn't know about. As you can see we spend way to much time drinking TIM HORTON's coffee, an american company that used to be a Canadian icon. That's Canada for you, just give it away. It's tru doe. I spaced the engine cover out 7/8 of an inch to clear the AC clutch and will fit a foam seal to fill the void. And NO that wasn't a fixed pic of the garbage can.

Attachments

• GOPR0624.JPG
    GOPR0624.JPG
    402.2 KB · Views: 667
  • GOPR0626.JPG
    GOPR0626.JPG
    356.8 KB · Views: 626
  • GOPR0625.JPG
    GOPR0625.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 619

Bill Kearley

Supporter
New tunnel fits. I'm waiting for some AC hard lines to fit past the ebrake and shifter. seat tracks fitted had to make a new slide release handle. Things will come together quick after I fit the spider, plug in the dash. Then I will see if the engine will start and run. Inspection time is close. I had a bit of a laugh over the seat belt holes in the tub. Welded in 7/16 fine. Would have expected metric from S.A.

Attachments

• GOPR0628.JPG
    GOPR0628.JPG
    361.7 KB · Views: 578
  • GOPR0633.JPG
    GOPR0633.JPG
    364.1 KB · Views: 646
  • GOPR0632.JPG
    GOPR0632.JPG
    414.9 KB · Views: 686
  • GOPR0640.JPG
    GOPR0640.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 585
  • GOPR0642.JPG
    GOPR0642.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 616
  • GOPR0636.JPG
    GOPR0636.JPG
    406.9 KB · Views: 642
NICE CONSOLE... TIES IN WITH THE DASH REALLY NICE.... I LIKE IT.. 300 FT LBS??? YOU ARE STRONGER THAN I AM... I THINK I WAS TOLD 250 FOR THE FRONT??

SORRY NOT MUCH HELP

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Up date time. A bunch of small detail time spent on checking things over and an attempt to fire the engine for the first time. I'm glad I put air bleeds in the system, one at the top of the rad and one at the thermostat housing. No air locks and a complete fill in one shot. OK lets try it, I'll be damned, it started and ran great. I cracked the throttle a couple of times and now I wan't to feel it from the drivers seat.
The body and interior have all been test fitted and things should come together quickly now.
Stuff like a new 10 week old grandson and a very jealous 2 year old take precedence some times. Sure glad I was never like that! I was an angel.
I'm not sure why it's upside down, it's ok when I look at it on my computer. I took that hot one after about 4 min. at 1800 rpm.

Attachments

• GOPR0655.JPG
    GOPR0655.JPG
    411.8 KB · Views: 629
  • GOPR0664.JPG
    GOPR0664.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 585
  • GOPR0661.JPG
    GOPR0661.JPG
    341.4 KB · Views: 535
  • GOPR0662.JPG
    GOPR0662.JPG
    397 KB · Views: 559

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Thanks Joel. I spent the day bleeding the clutch and brakes. What a pain, I used a vacuum pump that would hardly pull a drop. A little compressed air at the master helped but the old two man way will need doing latter this week. I also gave up on my plan to mount the seat tracks to the floor. ( fingers to fat and patients to small. The tracks will be bolted through the floor.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Plan B worked for the seat install. after I installed the side panels and started the drivers seat I realized I was going to have to install the fire wall before the second seat. I would have liked to be able to re and re the fire wall without removing a seat. With the body tweeked and test fitted all ready, I will have things ready to rumble by spring. That will be April some time as it is still below 0 here. and we have have the driest Feb in history. I still plan on making some kind of ground contacts between the QR steering wheel hub and steering column so I can use the buttons on the wheel to ground the relay for the turn signals. Any ideas?

Attachments

• GOPR0534.JPG
    GOPR0534.JPG
    300.7 KB · Views: 485

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Removable floor mat time, may glue carpet to arbourite, removable for cleaning. Think time now for signals as I work on cleaning up under side of front and rear clams.

Attachments

• GOPR0669.JPG
    GOPR0669.JPG
    351.4 KB · Views: 491
  • GOPR0670.JPG
    GOPR0670.JPG
    365.4 KB · Views: 462
  • GOPR0674.JPG
    GOPR0674.JPG
    362.5 KB · Views: 512
  • GOPR0678.JPG
    GOPR0678.JPG
    414.2 KB · Views: 448

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Thanks for your input on the console Walt. I ran hard lines for the AC inside. You can just see one in the shifter hole. I hope I never have an AC leak.

Back