Bill's CAV #193 Build - Canadian Made

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Hi Carman, I sent you a reply PM the other day, I guess you didn't get it? I do have the console, shifter and park brake boots with trim rings, but I have cut it on the rear to match the fire wall and the front to end at the pedal support. I made a new one taller, to fit the AC lines. Where do you live, If the freight cost is high I will take it into consideration. Or better yet make me an offer and it's yours.

Last edited:

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Spent yesterday taking all the rad fan stuff apart and redoing things to make room for the nostril to hinge. No need to find a place to set it down every time I open the clam. A little work and I will be able to use 69/70 Mustang louver hinges and a gas strut.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I was looking at something similar on my car sometime back. I came to the conclusion that I would have to hinge the nostril panel at the front or I would have to cut too much material from the bottom of the nostrils (close to the rad & fans).
My thought was to implement hidden horse-shoe hinges at the front of the panel, underneath it all.. Similar to hood hinges on a Cobra or rear deck hinges on most cars.
I never executed either plan before selling the car - but thought the ideas here may help.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Thanks Randy, I never thought of under hinges, If theirs enough room for them? Putting them on top on the front would cause a snag.
I now have about 5/8 of an inch room.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Inspection time, tomorrow, Monday at 2PM. If all goes well the inspector will take his paper work with him and process then send me copies that I will send to a guy in Vancouver that will apply to the government for a registration number using the VIN that is on the Gulf/CAV tag on the tub. That may take a while, not sure how long. When I get that paper work back from the motor vehicle branch I can walk into an agent in town and come out with licence plates.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Thank you guys. I just forgot what day it was. Tomorrow will really be Monday !!! Today will be spent finishing up the rear camera wiring, a check over the entire car and shop cleanup.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Just got my inspection report I have a 1966 Gulf # 1075, with 6000 miles on it. What the hell, more things to fix. What WAS # 1075 doing in 1966?

Bill..........Nice build! I haven't checked out the build threads in some time and just happened to pop in this afternoon. I see my buddy Walt has been giving you some nice input. I own CAV #169 and live in Dallas, Texas. Ford 408 Stroker with ZF.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Thanks Gary and Walt. I'm all most there, I just found out I can't use the VIN number from CAV. ( 17 digits ). In B.C, we require 15 digits in a VIN number. I'm hoping CAV can act quick and issue a new number as I have plans to have the car on the road by the end of April.

Yet to do is fit carpet to the floors and door sills, fit hinges for the nostril, find and fit door guide plates at roof, make an air filter to work with Borla 8 stack, fit some insulation under rear clam above exhaust, have front and rear glass installed, a wheel alignment check and fit glass into firewall.
That,s it for now, ass in gear and out to the shop.

Thanks Gary and Walt. I'm all most there, I just found out I can't use the VIN number from CAV. ( 17 digits ). In B.C, we require 15 digits in a VIN number. I'm hoping CAV can act quick and issue a new number as I have plans to have the car on the road by the end of April.

Yet to do is fit carpet to the floors and door sills, fit hinges for the nostril, find and fit door guide plates at roof, make an air filter to work with Borla 8 stack, fit some insulation under rear clam above exhaust, have front and rear glass installed, a wheel alignment check and fit glass into firewall.
That,s it for now, ass in gear and out to the shop.

Mine rear bonnet shield.

Attachments

• Rear Bonnet Shield.jpg
    Rear Bonnet Shield.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 572

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Someone bobo,d somewhere. 17 digits in a VIN in B.C. Canada. Not sure where the 15 digit thing came from! Reg. was a success. The todo list is getting short. Find a wiper arm, redo firewall window install, I cant find the rubber seal to work with the tight radius, hinges will be here next week for the nostril, redo the QR steering wheel hub to accommodate turn signal contacts. With out question, other things I want to change will crop up.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Thanks Walt.
Not much action today. Drained the cooling system to reseal a fitting, a tee in the line from the water pump. Do a nice clean job only to find it still leaks, wont say the words I used in the shop. The 1 1/2 with a 1/2 tee has a micro hole in the piece welded into the 1 1/2 outlet water line. Got mad and had a drink. End of the day! O Yay, the hood scoop melted during test run. That was the second drink.

Last edited:

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Happy Easter every one. My shop is starting to feel like a prison. I now have the 40 registered and can buy plates and insurance, I want to get all the little things touched up and or changed. The little stuff takes a lot of time. I have to make a new heat shield over the exhaust, plan A melted, Change the signal control to work with the buttons on the steering wheel and install the fire wall window. I hope to have it on the ground and a road test by the end of the month. I like Mikes but not as big, I hope I get away with less area covered.

Last edited:

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Spent the day making in and out frames for the window. I will sandwich the glass and fire wall with a frame in and out. The 69 / 70 Mustang louver hinges, with a little work worked out well. I have about an inch clearance from the fans when nostril opens. No, the stick is only temp!!!!!

Attachments

• GOPR0738.JPG
    GOPR0738.JPG
    381.3 KB · Views: 427
  • GOPR0739.JPG
    GOPR0739.JPG
    318 KB · Views: 432
  • GOPR0740.JPG
    GOPR0740.JPG
    428.7 KB · Views: 453

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I like that Gary. How do you find using riv nuts in the plastic. I didn't chance it and used a drilled hole and a self tapping screw for the vents.

Back