Boss Mustang

Ron Earp

Admin
I appreciate the assistance.

I've got a line on a red one at Herb Chambers Ford in Braintree Mass. Not sure if it exists or not but will drop them a call. And maybe a yellow one in Falls Church VA.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
A good friend of mine knows Herb, well but the friend is in Italy until 11-21 unless he can get an email to Herb. I will see what he can do.

Ron Earp

Admin
Cool, that would be great. I spoke with them this morning though, and received an email from a Scott Lewis, the general manager of the dealer. They have a red one, with the right options. But they want $5k over list whereas the other dealers that have them want list. That's probably out of the budget, particularly when another color drops the price by $7k in comparison.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I really like the 2013 Mustangs.. So much so that I purchased one last December as a gift to myself for finishing the 2.5 year renovation and sale of our old house. Not a Boss or anything really special, but the loaded V6 premium version. I don't get much chance to drive it as I've only put a few hundred miles on it in roughly 11 months, but I am really sold on Ford's suspension. They have taken a straight axle car to a level that I feel is equal to that of an IRS car..
The fit and finish of the 2013 is quite nice. Worlds better than my 2005 Mustang GT.
I hope you enjoy your new car Ron..

Here's a couple shots of mine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 285

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Next pic.. Ipads don't work well for uploading here..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 217
I have an '04 Cobra mustang and have followed the Boss/Shelby market for the last several years. I can tell you that quite a few of the Boss/Shelby cars are sitting in garages and driven little, or not at all. If you watch closely, you will see VERY low mile Cobra/Shelbys come up for sale at bargain prices. I do think the Boss/LS cars will hold value in the long run, but there will be a 5-10 year slump, where deals will can be made, and bargains found. Lots of these "investor" buyers are easily distracted my the latest, greatest offering!!

Thats the main reason I still have my '04 SVT Cobra. Super low mileage examples are selling for 15-20k. You could not not buy a GT and make a bolt-on Fobra for anywhere near this price range!!

anyway! There is NO way I would pay a dealer 5k over MSRP for a Boss (as much as I would love to have one). I betcha you can find one with <5k miles on it for a 25% discount in a year or two.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Randy,

that's a nice looking car, and the V6's are good motors. 300+ hp in a free revving format is great. Not sure what the SCCA IT classes will do for the future since nobody makes non-turbocharged cars with less than 250hp. Race tracks are smooth, so the good old stick axle doesn't suffer nearly as much as advertised.

It is said the new Mustang will go to IRS, but I'd like to get a Mustang without IRS. Ford's last IRS attempt on the stang didn't end too well, and, I love my race car as it sits with panhard and "trilink". Still no Boss yet, but I am finding some attractive deals here and there.

Ron

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I know a guy who has the new GT500 with a super snake upgrade, a new Boss and the Raptor truck, he takes the Boss to the track every time! Hes a dentist, guess thats big business here in Arkiesaw. :) All joking aside I took a ride with another friend who has a Boss and its hands down kickass, I love it and the price.

Keith

I just love that scheme that became the Alan Mann racing colours. One question for the geeks: Did original TdF the cars come over from the USA painted red, and is that the first time Alan Mann raced in those colours?

I personally can't see that Ford supplied them in red - more likely in primer and they were re- sprayed over here!

Next question, are the (new) cars modified by Holman and Moody from stock Mustangs? Tried to read it but have a migraine so everything is a bit blurred, sorry.

Ron Earp

Admin
I remember seeing the site for those H&M Mustangs when it went up back last year or in the spring. I was sort of ambivalent to it. It's a tuned Mustang, tuned by H&M, but I think it would have been more impressive had they started with a Boss and gone from there with the adjustable rollbars and so on. It doesn't appear they mention the hp of the engine either. For sure it doesn't have the amount of work that went into the Boss calibration, nor the Boss specific parts such as CNC heads, etc.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Ron. I am pleasantly surprised at the amount of power that the V6 has. I honestly think it would beat my 2005 GT in a drag race and I don't know what they did in suspension tuning department but it feels far more sure of itself. Not that I've pushed it hard or on the track at all.. The lighter weight of the V6 engine has to be worth something as well. Would be interesting to see what the SCCA would class it as. My neighbor has a 2012 Shelby he just drives around town. Sounds a lot nicer than mine but at 31MPG highway, I think I could beat him in a cross country race.

Ron Earp

Admin
Well the deal is done, I'm the proud owner of a green Boss and I'll pick it up at the end of the month. Found a lonely new one in TN that the dealer was highly motivated to move. Apparently they'd had it new since early Spring and in the small town where the dealer is located it didn't have much of a chance at selling for list.

new13.JPG

The color grew on me although I have to say it was off putting at first. I saw one in the flesh though and liked it, it'll compliment the Grabber Blue Torino quite well.

Sydney and I will burn some FF miles and head to TN just after Thanksgiving to retrieve it. Just the trip with her will be good times and some memories, so I consider it a win all around. Looking forward to driving it and taking it out for a track day.

Ron, does the Boss have a live solid rear axle or independent suspension? As I recall the GT500 has the solid axle. I thought some in the range had independent rear suspension, just not sure if the Boss has it. Might make a difference on the track, just a thought.

Ron Earp

Admin
All 05-current Mustangs have have a solid axle with trilink and panhard, same as my race Mustang (similar), IRS was discontinued in 05. According to reviews of the Boss it works beautifully on track, and I'd figure that to be true from my own experiences with my car. As long as the track is smooth, which is true for all the places I race and will take the Boss for track days. On the street I'm sure there will be some axle hop on train tracks and so on, but I'm fine with that.

The 99-04 Mustang Cobras only had IRS but the reviews of that system were all over the board. My neighbor had one and preferred the 08 live axle suspension to the IRS in his Cobra, but some folks like the IRS.

Keith

Well the deal is done, I'm the proud owner of a green Boss and I'll pick it up at the end of the month. Found a lonely new one in TN that the dealer was highly motivated to move. Apparently they'd had it new since early Spring and in the small town where the dealer is located it didn't have much of a chance at selling for list.

new13.JPG

The color grew on me although I have to say it was off putting at first. I saw one in the flesh though and liked it, it'll compliment the Grabber Blue Torino quite well.

Sydney and I will burn some FF miles and head to TN just after Thanksgiving to retrieve it. Just the trip with her will be good times and some memories, so I consider it a win all around. Looking forward to driving it and taking it out for a track day.

Yes! :thumbsup:

Your daughter has taste......

But look out for your friends Ron, you may have to take a little stick. If you ever get fed up with it, mail it collect to: Colonel Mustard, The Quay, Lymington Wessex England United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.

Ron Earp

Admin
Yes! :thumbsup:

Your daughter has taste......

But look out for your friends Ron, you may have to take a little stick. If you ever get fed up with it, mail it collect to: Colonel Mustard, The Quay, Lymington Wessex England United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland.

I don't know about the taste part, but it'll be unique. She was campaigning against the yellow for sure.

To me it came down to those to colors, despite my initial dislike of the green. I attended a Cars and Coffee car show that happens every first saturday of the month in the shopping center behind my house. Once I was able to see some other colors on Mustangs and a couple of Bosses I preferred the green or the yellow. The red, black, white, just weren't unique enough for car.

It reminds me of an iconic car in green:

green_997_porsche_911_gt3_rs_7-568-426.jpg

and a little of this one:

5520899470_40e13d85a7_z.jpg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ron, great job my friend! I believe they call the color "gotta have it GREEN" don't they? It is very reminiscent of Linden Green as you noted..
Oh I can hear it now.. What a sweet melody that the pipes make.. That Coyote engine under the hood snarling at you just daring you to turn it loose...
I love it...

BTW, we took my Mustang out last night and went to dinner. Only another 35 miles on the clock, but at least that many smiles. You'll love the new lighting (HID and LED).. I wish I had not let my wife talk me into the automatic transmission, although this one is quite nice and in sport mode it toggles up/down through the gears with a touch of the button..
We just turned on the radio last night for the very first time and the whole center console lit up and displayed the station, name of the band and song along with graphic equalizer etc..
Heck it has features of which I was not even aware..

I hope you and your daughter have a great trip! It will be good to hear your opinion of the car's handling on the track once you get it there..

Ron Earp

Admin
The V6 can get stuff done. At a recent C&D Lightning Lap comparison at VIR the V6 Mustang with track pack was a second faster than the Mustang GT they compared.

Lightning Lap 2012 - - Car and Driver

To be fair the data is accumulated over different years, but still, the V6 does very well and out of the cars in that price segment the V6 Mustang took top honors. Performance/price is very good for the 3.7 V6.

The new Mustang will be sporting a new EB motor. It's rumored there will be a 2.3L EB engine, and, an SVO version with a hotted up 2.3L EB that would be similar to the old SVO from 84-86. From what I've read it'll be 2.3EB, 3.7 V6, 5L for the range of motors.

C&D has renderings of the new 2015 Mustang and it looks pretty decent. I had a look at the pics when in the airport this week.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Heck it has features of which I was not even aware..

Then your salesperson did a poor delivery. One of the things Ford tracks for the quality bonuses available to dealers (and some pass part on to the salespeople if they score well on the surveys) is the delivery process; Was the car ready? Was the tank full? Did you receive instruction on all of the features, etc.?

Back