Boss Mustang

Keith

Hmm, well, my first wife also had a feature set that was either not explained or was certainly not evident at the time of acquisition, so I can't say it's ALWAYS a good idea to know everything, except when perhaps comparing, and THAT has to be done covertly where wives are concerned... :)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for posting that Ron. I was not aware of that either!

Rick - we were at the dealership 90 minutes prior to closing and by the time we got done resolving their attempts at raking me over the coals on my trade-in and my telling them they could pound sand - we were holding up the janitor from mopping the floors..
In their defense - They did ask me to stop by the next day for a good primer on the features of the car. Since it was a 100 mile round trip journey for me, I opted out and figured I'd go through the owners manuals (yes two of them) to pick up the finer points..

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, we brought the Boss home Sunday and had a blast. We're still in the break in period, but man, this Roadrunner V8 is an awesome piece. The sound is phenomenal - a 7500 RPM 5L V8 with a warranty - seems like a bargain. I really enjoyed the car and feel that it exceeded my expectations, which were already pretty high. We had a great drive back from Bristol TN to Raleigh NC and it was a memorable experience for both Sydney and I. And, as advertised I'm already off on business travel leaving them both at home :-(.

Once I have more time to drive it, break it in, and get it out on track I'll put down some more impressions. But for now color me impressed, and green was absolutely the right color choice for me.

1016791_10202605727094101_31858004_n.jpg

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
KICK-A$$, Ron.

Luv that green....electric!

Love the sound of a Coyote engine :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Doug

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I would have made them take the "tire shine" off before I would have accepted it! I HATE that stuff!

Gotta admit the green looks better in that picture and Sydney will soon be taller than you.............

Keith

Yeah green is it.. totally cool colour.

I rather liken the Boss to the 'Gulf' syndrome. There's only ever going to be a handful of originals, rather like the Bud Moore Transam yellow Mustangs.

Retro styling but modern colour. Good to go!

Hang on there a moment! Are those Doc Martens she's wearing?:stunned:
You sure you're bringing her up right?

Ron Earp

Admin
I'm having fun! This Road Runner motor is awesome. Guys with SLCs, Cobras, and yes even GT40s should consider it. Damn it likes to rev. And has power throughout the rev range pulling to the 7500 RPM redline and fuel cut slightly beyond. I've always liked the SB push rod Ford, and still do, but I think I've got a new favorite. And damn, this thing drives, steers, and brakes really well. With modern electrics - wide band, g-meter, 1/4 mile timers, launch control, etc.- all stock.

I'll put down some more impressions as I get more seat time and get it out on track, but so far I'm more than pleased!

I bought a 2012 GT new and kick myself daily for not getting a Boss. I had a chance to drive a 2012 Boss at autocross and the handling and brakes are incredible compared to the stock GT. Excellent choice Ron!

I would recommend getting the Laguna Seca Brake Ducts installed as soon as possible if you're going to track it. At Limerock, even with brake ducts, I'd almost completely lose my brakes after the main straight until I got some air through the ducts on the back straight. I know the price is exponentially more expensive on the 2013 because they went to that giant plastic piece that you have to swap instead of the little insert, but just DO IT.

And have fun!

Ron Earp

Admin
I would recommend getting the Laguna Seca Brake Ducts installed as soon as possible if you're going to track it.

And have fun!

Already ordered up, just awaiting delivery.....

Yep, it's fun. I drive it a fair amount and it turns basic commutes into something pleasurable. Syd and I use it mainly - gun range, gym, store, grandpa's house - we're up around 1300 miles so far. The new Ford 5L is just great, one of the best power plants available on the market for the common man.

The fact that they're available for under 6k as a crate engine is incredible. (Though the Roadrunner crate is now unavailable as the Boss run has ended.) The rumored changes for the 2015 engine are something I'm looking forward to as well. 0.040" more intake lift, 0.080" more exhaust lift, Boss bottom end components, rumored 8000+ redline on the hi-po model, active intake.. great time to be a gearhead. Gotta Have It Green is a spectacular color on the 2013 car, too.

Ron Earp

Admin
One of the things you get when you purchase a new Boss Mustang is time at Miller Motorsports Park in Ford's Race School program. I used my voucher back in April and posted this on another forum, but since there is some GT40 content I figured I'd post it here. It was a hell of a lot of fun.

-----
Over the three days I’ve been out at Ford Racing School held at Miller Motorsports Park, courtesy of Ford through the Boss program. I didn’t think the program would be very good, sort of like a bucket list item for guys who hadn’t been on track before, but I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it has some of the “bucket list” element, but even as a seasoned track guy there was something for me as well as a guy who’d never turned a wheel on track.

The first day involved a reception and dinner at Miller’s Museum. If you are into Fords, this is the place for you. We were treated to good food and a couple of hours of private viewing in the museum along with a tour by a very knowledgeable host. The museum holds a great number of very important Ford racing cars, including GT40s P/1074 and P/1102, one of the GT40 MKIIs that completed the 1966 1-2-3 Ford finish at LeMans. Awesome cars here – Dan Gurney Cougar, first 427 Cobra Race car, Thunderbolt, and other GT40s. They actually have one of each GT40 made; MK I, MK II, MK III (one of seven), MK IV (J-car, they have 4) and the P/1074 which is a MKI but built to race to the rules set of 68/69. It’s sister is the famous P/1075.

10157127_10203628458021735_1538017998070208038_n.jpg

Story is P/1074 (Gulf car in the picture) was up for auction in 2012 and was being bid on fairly heavily. Information was passed that the bidder was from overseas and that the car would leave the US if purchased. Miller’s family(Miller himself passed away about five years ago) said hell no and opened the wallet to whatever it took to keep it in the US. $11 million kept it in the US and it’s here at the museum, you can view it for free – yep, no admission here, just schedule a time. Cool stuff.

1509112_10203628884512397_3051775921840846256_n.jpg

10006587_10203628885432420_2951942812394610783_n.jpg

10255891_10203628889072511_6502241105712762215_n.jpg

Day one of the Boss Track Attack Experience is fairly tame. Classroom work, basic exercises of heel toe, braking points, instructor ride alongs, lead follow, and so on. The facilities and instructors here are top notch. Miller is a hell of a race track with garages, grounds, and amenities that VIR can only dream about. That’s the advantage from starting with a clean slate of paper for your track construction. We had a student to instructor ratio of 2:1 for the first day and the three folks we had were ex-Grand Am drivers with varying amounts of experience in the field and with other teams. Each of them had been racing at least 20 years and were enjoyable and skilled in their art of driving and teaching.

The cars we used were stock Boss Mustangs and LS Bosses, albeit with a roll cage, the AC removed, aluminum overflow tank, and floating rotors (stock calipers). I drove a 13 Boss, actually in the color I own, and it shows the attention to detail these guys put into the program. All of the cars in the program, the Bosses, GTs, and the FR500s, are stock engine cars, trannys, shocks, axles, and so on. What’s amazing is that most of the cars are hitting 20k miles, all track miles in this program, and are still on stock engines. Clutches have been replaced, bodywork done, tranny rebuilt, but it appears the driveline can take some abuse. Fuel, gas, brake pads, tires is the general routine maintenance according to the briefing from the mechanic.

65658_10203637003635370_7268145907300417630_n.jpg

1613948_10203636950394039_4920131746366004260_n.jpg

How’s the track experience? Great – Miller is at a disadvantage compared to our Southeastern tracks in that there are no landmarks on the track. It’s about like driving an infield at a roval with respect to markers, but the track is much better. The track is generally run in two configurations, East and West, and the first day we did the West track. It’s technical, but fast in places, and requires concentration. The Bosses did far better than I would have expected given we were running on BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2s, a street tire. Haters gonna hate, but given the weight of this car, and the speeds you hit in it (444 hp), the tire does extremely well. It corners at 1.08G in this tank of a car, fades a little, but lasts a long time while getting the job done. Yes, I would like some 17” tires like this in ITS. They’d work well, and I bet there are better tires like this on the market.

1001947_10203637003715372_6914329207152199630_n.jpg

I’d say on day one we got about one hour of open track time, that is, where I was in the car going as fast as I could and letting it all hang out. Not too bad. Sure, some of the exercises and so on were a bit basic, but it was still enjoyable being at the facility. And, the one on one coaching with the instructor in the car was valuable. I learn a few things and added some more corners and moves to my bag. I’m pleased to see that the basic Boss is a track worthy car (needs pads, ducts, camber adjustment, and fluids) and I now know about how far it can be pushed – pretty damn far in comparison to my race car.

10264972_10203637003675371_7846136927623598526_n.jpg

Day two had us in the Ford FR500, a factory built race car Ford tried selling for a while but it wasn’t very successful. It has a functional wing, 325 hp engine, better tires (Shaved R1s), more aggressive springs and shocks. Brakes are the same, tranny, rear end the same, but it is about 400 lbs lighter than the Boss.

10273889_10203640452841598_6635102161903138654_n.jpg

We had much more track time on day two. I was worn out, and all total had about 2.5 hours of free balls-to-the-wall track time. We had some ride alongs, instruction, and so on but there were only two students in this class with one instructor, so we were able to do basically whatever we decided to do as a group.

Our instructor was Byron Payne, and he was very good at his craft and interesting to talk to. We spent a lot of one on one time with him and he learned us quite a bit about race lines, racing, and the instructing business he’s into. In short, being a professional driver is a cut throat business, turned out he’s written a book about it, Passion for the Ride, and I plan to give it a read. He started out in open wheel cars at 14, has driven all manner of cars since, Grand Am stints, some F1 car instruction for a school in CA, Military instruction for SEALs in Humvees, etc., many interesting paid jobs.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Ride-Byron-Payne/dp/8461663233]Passion for the Ride: Byron Payne: 9788461663231: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Again, great day. The FR500 was more capable than the Boss, I think mainly due to tires, but not so much so that you wouldn’t be having fun in either car. The FR500 was shaper, a bit more twitchy, and more like my IT car but still it’s all shades of fun.

1483348_10203644194535138_6119657883326069033_n.jpg

Overall, the Track Attack deal was a hell of a program and Ford/Miller really set the bar high for this sort of thing. I had a great time, learned some new tricks, and couldn't be happier to have taken part in the experience.

One last thing. Lots of swag was given out, tons it it - Boss pistons, pictures, tshirts, and so on, mostly Ford, but a lot of NASA too. NASA is strong out here, and the guys in my class, and the guys in the large class that started on my day two, were exposed to the NASA stuff and predictably, interested. They have cars perfect for DE stuff, are doing their first track events, thus it is a prime op for hook them for racing, auto X, or performance driving. NASA was there in force in the literature, stickers, decals, and making sure the new track guy had a place to turn if s/he was interested.
I forgot to mention the school skid car:

10273505_10203636951234060_3190116771492705843_n.jpg

That there is one hell of a teaching tool. Using the independent weight jacking on each corner you could set the car up to behave however you'd like. We spent about 45 mins in this car, 15 mins each, and piloted the car through a cone course. We'd jack the car for oversteer, understeer, and then very neutral but loose on either end, that is to say, just no traction. Fantastic learning toy.

Back