Brighton speed trials cancelled

NO, Local Authority, who own the road, would not give a licence to run this years event until the Coroners inquest, which only started today ( the event was scheduled for last Saturday ) because of Insurance concerns.

"Both parties agreed it would be unwise to host the speed trials until the circumstances that led up to last year’s incident were fully understood and the coroner had reported her findings.

Tony Johnstone, chairman of the Brighton and Hove Motor Club, said: “We have got to wait until the verdict of the coroner and we cannot do anything until we have.

“We need to know exactly what went wrong and if there is anything we can do to make sure it doesn’t happen again"

Get back in your bubbles folks. That's the only way you will remain safe. Thank God H&S wasn't around when Columbus set sail. They'd have cancelled the trip due to too many ships having sunk previously.

However, I suppose that had that been the case, we wouldn't ever have had to ultimately suffer such things as Storage Wars, or My Sister Married an Alien, on TV. :lipsrsealed:

Malcolm

Supporter
Sad to hear of a death at the Speed Trials. Have very many good memories from that event going way back to 1993 although the venue can be very unforgiving when things go wrong. Hope they get it sorted soon and back in action for next year.

This is the vehicle immediately before the fatal run, the girl killed is sitting on the back of the "bike", I don't need to comment on the safety of this machine ! Frank

Attachments

• Brighton_2012_054.jpg
    Brighton_2012_054.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 296
  • Brighton_2012_055.jpg
    Brighton_2012_055.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 275
"Both parties agreed it would be unwise to host the speed trials until the circumstances that led up to last year’s incident were fully understood and the coroner had reported her findings.

Tony Johnstone, chairman of the Brighton and Hove Motor Club, said: “We have got to wait until the verdict of the coroner and we cannot do anything until we have.

“We need to know exactly what went wrong and if there is anything we can do to make sure it doesn’t happen again"

Get back in your bubbles folks. That's the only way you will remain safe. Thank God H&S wasn't around when Columbus set sail. They'd have cancelled the trip due to too many ships having sunk previously.

However, I suppose that had that been the case, we wouldn't ever have had to ultimately suffer such things as Storage Wars, or My Sister Married an Alien, on TV. :lipsrsealed:

I think you are being a bit hard on the organisers Mark. Although I am a regular competitor at the speed trials, I feel that the Brighton and Hove Motor Club is doing the right thing in not holding this year's event as in this litigious age they could leave themselves open to financial ruin if something similar happened this year with the cause of last year's accident still unresolved. I don't know why it is taking so long to find out why the accident happened but it did happen on a part of the course where there were no spectators or marshals at the same level - and then there are probably lawyers involved and we all know what that means.

There have been fatalities before at Brighton and the event has continued to be held. There was also a fatality at a Goodwood sprint in the same year and that didn't stop them running sprints at Goodwood, but I believe the conclusions as to the cause there were quickly determined, with lots of witnesses as the accident happened on the run up to the finish line (in torrential rain).

If the event had been held this year, I would have entered, as I am sure would everyone else who wished to compete.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I don't know so maybe should not comment but I've just had enough Pinot to do so.
The only people the organisers need to worry about are the crowd, insurance wise.
Competitors are not insured in OZ and I do suspect not in the UK either.
Personally I'm all for safety Onya Jackie and Nicki. But if I want to compete and know the risks please don't stop me.
We all know that it is much safer on the track than driving to it.
Officialdom please get the priorities correct make it safer to drive to the track before you interfere with my sport.

Keith

As a previous winner of the Moore's Trophy (Class 7 Sports and GT's) in 1985 held on the old half mile track, I would say that it was inherently unsafe at the time because of the 'hump' at Dukes Mound. Following the death of a competitor in 1984, who's Lotus 7 (from memory) literally took off at speed on the hump (where Maderia drive meets the ramp down from Marine Parade) and flew upside down into the banking.

They subsequently moved the start further back towards the pier and thus competitors did not have to take the hump at full power, as the Finish Line was approx 100 yards before it (next to the Marine Parade Cafe and Lifts). However, as anyone who understands chassis dynamics knows, lifting off suddenly with a manual gearbox puts all sorts of 'untwisting' forces on the chassis and so Dukes Mound became just as tricky on de-acceleration as it was driving for the line flat out when it was further East.

The challenge for my machine, although aerodynamically akin to a brick, was the tiny 6" stock front brakes, which, crossing the finish line at 135 mph on a cruising throttle (1/4 mile gearing) immediately overheated and faded giving me a somewhat anxious ride to the man with the red flag who stoically stood in front of me directing me into the marshalling car park at Black Rock.

Eventually of course, they abandoned the 1/2 mile for the more typical 1/4 mile track and thus eliminated all the dynamics of the 'hump' and short braking area from the equation.

The fantastic thing about this 'course' is the elevated spectator positions from the terraces and pavement of Marine Parade. All concessions, including the fair, cafe's and toilets and track level were always shut on race day and thus there never was (or has been) any danger to spectators whatsoever in the event's history.

It's a shame it cancelled but I wouldn't be too hasty to condemn the Council on this one, as the same rules cannot be applied as exist in the IOM. I see Tony is still Gen Sec of Brighton & Hove Motor Club and he has been running this event for years. There is no history of problems from the H&S aspect that I know of, so this is just an unfortunate accident of timing.

Frankly, why they (sanctioning body) let that abortion run is beyond me. It certainly would not have reached the required standard when I raced there 28 years ago...

(Edit. It's fascinating looking at that entry list now!)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Frank,
Than you for the photos. To attempt the Speed Trial in something like that is akin to
a lifeboat short of a shipwreck. Is scrutineering banned in Sussex? Surely if he needed weight on the back wheel, 50 kg of lead would have sufficed and would probably have been more aero than the deceased?

Keith

That must have been a lively ride Keith, what chev lurked under the bonnet sorry I meant hood.

Bob

.30 over 350 SBC.. Four Star petrol, a working radio and an MOT. Ran 1/4 mile at 9.90 on Super Gas Index. Approx 550 hp. It was a ground up special not a modified unibody. Only the roof and front windscreen valance were metal original and those bits were from 2 different cars. The reason was the original car (blue valance) overturned during a demonstration run at the NEC car park during a Hot Rod Show and the car was wrecked after just 100 yard run. Then I bought the remains and built it back up myself.

(Note the stock American Chevette front end and the weeny 6" discs that nearly focked a flagman..)

Organisers (Including Tony Johnstone) did NOT take kindly to me, nor did Motor Magazine who did a scathing write up about "Nitro Methane Breathing Dragsters at Brighton Speed Trials" I offered the editor a drive in it - and I never heard from him again.. :)

Keith

Frank,
Than you for the photos. To attempt the Speed Trial in something like that is akin to
a lifeboat short of a shipwreck. Is scrutineering banned in Sussex? Surely if he needed weight on the back wheel, 50 kg of lead would have sufficed and would probably have been more aero than the deceased?

Agree David, definitely would have gone quicker... :thumbsup:

Keith

Risky business indeed Keith wasn't it fun though. In the Emirates lounge in Dubai right now best wifi in four weeks.

Yes mate... We ruled the World.. :)

Safe Journey - hope your Ferrari makes it back through Oz Customs OK.

I'll want to see a picture of you and it together once you get home with it!

Keith

Interesting car at the end of the list:

LAMBORCHINI

Obviously a one off special :stunned::stunned:

As far as I remember, that was indeed a pukka Lambo. The engine size also gives it away. Just a very unfortunate typeo.. :)

Back