CAV or SPF GT40?

Pat, here's another for your collection of funky originals, Miles at LeMans 1965 :laugh::laugh:

Sam

Attachments

• 150442653.jpg
    150442653.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 325

Pat

Supporter
I should have included this classic SPF in Gulf colors. It's got the high tail that apparently is quite the rage with SPF aficionados.

Attachments

• Avenger.jpg
    Avenger.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 356

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
LMAO that is not an SPF :)

This is the CAV and even at this angle the rear clam looks angled lower than the other marks. Nice looking car just seems off a little on the rear clam

attachment.php

Last edited:

Pat

Supporter
Sort of like one of these?

Attachments

• CAV F.jpg
    CAV F.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,207
  • SPF.jpg
    SPF.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 342

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Beautiful cars. Still there is something about the lines that seems different from the originals

Pat

Supporter
But... But... The one on the left in the previous post is an SPF. The one of the right, a CAV.

As for the originals, there are several different iterations by team, by year and even by track. Some are more appealing than others.

Attachments

• ford_gt40_mk3_by_smevcars.jpg
    ford_gt40_mk3_by_smevcars.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 269
  • 66-Ford GT40 1072.jpg
    66-Ford GT40 1072.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 297
  • 6192232364_bf42757120_z.jpg
    6192232364_bf42757120_z.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 318
  • GT40 at the lake II 1058.jpg
    GT40 at the lake II 1058.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 264
  • Ford-GT40-w.jpg
    Ford-GT40-w.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 247
  • Meet-the-Original-1964-Ford-GT40-Concept-and-1965-GT40-Roadster-Prototype-1.jpg
    Meet-the-Original-1964-Ford-GT40-Concept-and-1965-GT40-Roadster-Prototype-1.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 254
If you look at pics of the first two cars used by Shelby they look as if rear wheels/tires are not centered in wheel arch and being quite large in dia out of proportion to later offerings. A lot of your thoughts on this thread are influenced by the style/size of rear guard extension to accommodate wider rims and the pics concerned being taken from oblique angles.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
The one on the left is not an SPF

Your original post had an SPF. If you have a CAV and you like the lines does it even matter?

attachment.php

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Sort of like one of these?

Hi Pat,

I do not think either of those are SPF...

The SPF Cars do not have that body crease running aft from the top/rear of the door window. The rear part of the spider is smooth.

Also, in both your photos there is a pronounced drop in the roof line at the rear clip that the SPF does not have.

That said, the SPF has odd round wheel wells...Besides, they are all beautiful!

Last edited:

Keith

Well, that's helpful Mr Bailey. I'm learning something here.

Pat, I don't know whether it's the photographic version of 'foreshortening' but in your second photo of 'originals', the car appears to be a left hooker, which basically means.....????

Jac, I agree with you 100%. It appears that it's almost impossible to compare apples with apples given the range of rear fender width mods.

Interesting thread...

I brought up the blah blah blah and will sum up with the following great adage......if you don't have an SPF then tough titties.....

Pat

Supporter
Well, that's helpful Mr Bailey. I'm learning something here.

Pat, I don't know whether it's the photographic version of 'foreshortening' but in your second photo of 'originals', the car appears to be a left hooker, which basically means.....????

Interesting thread...

Keith, like so many of these photos, it's all perspective. Here's another shot of the early Gulf car from Amelia Island I posted as original. The driver is actually sitting on the right. It's RHD but the initial photo I posted certainly doesn't look it.

Jim, I think you may be correct on the SPF labeled car earlier. I got the photo off of Flickr and it may be mislabeled.

Attachments

• 66-Ford-GT40-Amelia Island 2.jpg
    66-Ford-GT40-Amelia Island 2.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 260
  • 66-Ford-GT40-Amelia Island.jpg
    66-Ford-GT40-Amelia Island.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Back