CAV or SPF GT40?

Ron Earp

Admin
As I said before, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, and just one more Blah for good measure

My favorite musician giving the best Rock n Roll Hall of Fame acceptance speech to date.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YHjQZJ1RLQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
What about the Racing aspect ? SPF sells quite a few R's, when they race with the Bailey 40. the Bailey comes out on top, (according to the race results i've seen where the Bailey & SPF race together). Would you say that the Bailey is more of a pure drivers car than the SPF on the Track or is it just the driver of the Bailey is better than the driver of the SPF?

Frank,

Please keep in mind the rules and the venue. Bailey builds a great car. However does a Chevy powered 917 that beats a Porsche 6 cylinder powered car prove one is better than the other? 917s had neither a V8 or a 6 banger. It is all relative.

The Baileys are very successful in Sud Africa where the rules are different and there is shortage of big-bore sports/GT cars to fill the grids. That scenario is rapidly approaching here in the US as fewer owners are racing or willing to thrash their rare car on the track. I support Ron Gallo's efforts to get a "replica" racing series/class so look alikes can go at it on tracks in front of crowds who want to see fast, loud cars that look good race.

A few years ago a "Cobra" manufacturer tried to make a big deal out of one of their cars passing an SPF GT40 at a vintage event. They posted pictures of "X" passing "Y" and claimed superior performance, better handling, whiter teeth, etc. Until the uncropped photos were posted showing the car in question passed ON A YELLOW FLAG!!!! A steel tub SPF "R" is no lightweight...a decently driven T70 or lightweight GT40 replica will pull it on the straights and likely out corner the steel GT40, such does not prove the superiority or inferiority of either car.

The point is any car can beat any other car on any given day. It does not prove superiority for any given purpose. I for one saw Herby the VW pass numerous Ferraris and such in a major motion picture so it must be true.

Once more: The best GT40 is the one YOU like and you can BUY!!!!!

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Best acceptance speech EVER!!!

Cheers, Ron...and thanks for the best laugh I've had in a long time!!

Doug

Ron Earp

Admin
If you know the history of Rush and their relationship with some other bands that have been long members of the RNRHoF, the Rush fan base, and the opinion of the RNRHoF by the band members then it's pretty funny. If not then maybe not so much.

My favorite musician giving the best Rock n Roll Hall of Fame acceptance speech to date.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YHjQZJ1RLQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seconded. :thumbsup:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Its interesting that here on the GT40 web site a discussion of the relative merits of each chassis type would be considered bla, bla, bla...

I think this is what we do here. I know some of you have heard it all too many times before, but there are always new folks who would like a discussion, I think we should welcome this type of discussion.

Last edited:
Jim,

Well said and good point.

I haven't seen anybody else mention it yet, so I'll go ahead and point out the elephant in the room--a CAV doesn't actually look like a GT40. The body is ALL wrong. Park a CAV next to a SPF and they are very different. Park them both next to a genuine car, and the SPF looks like the genuine car, while the CAV looks like a Kelmark GT kit car. The rear clip is especially bad.

It's interesting to note that a well-known real GT40 racing in Europe right now doesn't look like a real GT40 either. It was destroyed in a crash when almost new, and rebuilt with Brand X kit car bodywork. When you compare this car to the others on the grid at Goodwood Revival etc., it looks really weird. So I suppose you could argue that the CAV actually DOES look like a real GT40--but only this one. :laugh:

Keith

Jim,

Well said and good point.

I haven't seen anybody else mention it yet, so I'll go ahead and point out the elephant in the room--a CAV doesn't actually look like a GT40. The body is ALL wrong. Park a CAV next to a SPF and they are very different. Park them both next to a genuine car, and the SPF looks like the genuine car, while the CAV looks like a Kelmark GT kit car. The rear clip is especially bad.

It's interesting to note that a well-known real GT40 racing in Europe right now doesn't look like a real GT40 either. It was destroyed in a crash when almost new, and rebuilt with Brand X kit car bodywork. When you compare this car to the others on the grid at Goodwood Revival etc., it looks really weird. So I suppose you could argue that the CAV actually DOES look like a real GT40--but only this one. :laugh:

Do you know Mike, that would be a darned good thread, photos of all the "makes" side by side so that comparisons could be made. For the life of me, I could not tell the difference between them unless the differences were pointed out, and I suspect there's many more that wouldn't either. I have seen some fantastic CAV's so your comment re: the rear clip is rather intriguing. I wonder what Cliff would have to say about that?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I have wanted to say that but don't wish to offend. CAV rear clips look funky and not original. There is one "original" out there that is yellow that has a different but just as funky rear clip.

Keith

Well someone is going to have to put me out of my misery or else it will be a sleepless night!

CAV pic anyone?

Pat

Supporter
Sure, it's one of these.

Attachments

• AA.jpg
    AA.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 1,722
  • 45295-BowdensGT40.jpg
    45295-BowdensGT40.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 370
  • #169 side.jpg
    #169 side.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,013
  • OG.jpg
    OG.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 379
  • F2.jpg
    F2.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 473
  • rep3.jpg
    rep3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 955
Last edited:

Keith

Sure, it's one of these.

Haha.. I see...well, the last one (red) is easy. That's an SPF MKII right? :laugh:

Er, well, I quite like the look of the first, third and fifth. Can't tell about the second photo but it has a big drying rack on the back so might be South African. Or not. Something slightly odd about the 4th pic but I can't put my finger on it. I have always been struck by the differences in the depth of the fender lip above the rear tyre, but I've always put that down to whether there are wider hips fitted.

For all I know they are all from the same manufacturer because the angles are different and the colour schemes hide a multitude. Still interesting exercise!

Actually, the fourth photo might be a real one. That's why it looks odd!

Look at the photo of the #73 car. If you draw a straight horizontal line from the top of the rear spoiler, parallel to the ground, you will see it passes slightly above the high point on the front fender.

On a CAV, the spoiler is a fair bit below the high point on the fender. It looks as though the car was left in the sun a bit too long and the back of it melted.

As for the yellow original car with kit car bodywork, not only is the rear even lower than a CAV, but the nose clip is also steeply angled towards the ground, perhaps helping to generate downforce but certainly not helping it look like a GT40. That one looks like it got run over by a truck and squashed both front and back.

Having said all that, I freely admit that talk is cheap! I don't even OWN a GT40 of any kind, and it will be some years before I'm able to do so. So anybody who owns a CAV who feels slighted at my pointed observations can take solace in that fact! :laugh:

P.S. The fourth photo is P/1043, an original GT40 road car that was owned by Colin Comer. It would originally have had wire wheels. That photo comes from this article:

http://www.carguychronicles.com/2011/11/ford-gt40-road-coupe-life-in-fast-lane.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith

Well, I picked out the original then. Haha..how about that. Thanks for the education there Mike (and Pat). I've never really bothered with comparisons before as I usually just consider each individual car. However, I'm sure if you go to a meet with several different makes, then differences would be more obvious, but it's hard to tell from a photo unless they are all taken from the same angle..

So the CAV is the third photo, the #28 car is CAV #169. It is easy to tell a CAV from the rear, there is no provision for an adjustable spoiler, and the indentation for a euro style license plate is there instead.

This has been a fun thread .. and I'm pleased that the conclusion is that the CAV is the best GT replica* :thumbsup:

Sam

* for me!

Pat

Supporter
Almost... the second car is an original as well. It's P1034.

Attachments

• P1034.jpg
    P1034.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 309
Back