Celebrate!! / Does the Paddock Need to Continue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I enjoy the Paddock for the entertainment postings, and avoid (for the most part) the political discussions. I'd hate to see the Paddock removed, but think a separate political forum, or strick rules of engagement on the current forum are viable alternatives.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
"My facts beat your facts" isn't getting anywhere. I've stopped, I get it.

Just for the record, even after having my home address and my wife's name posted on this public forum, I never sent a single anxiety whine of any kind.

FOR THE RECORD

Mr Fechter, I told you over and over that if you did not stop your rude attacks, making fun of peoples names and families while hiding behind a handel, that I would out you.

I warned you over and over, but name calling and rude attacks were more important to you than anonymity. This was your choice!!!!!!!!

You have never stopped whining and you are whining now.

I have promised to never again start a derisive, political thread, how about you?

Last edited:

Keith

And there it is. In a nutshell (sic) ad infinitum ad nauseum. It will never ever end.

I say dump the Paddock - it has become a personal hunting ground.

Do what Keith says! The Baron rules!
Political and religious debates have become personal attacks that have no place on this forum, period! Have we completely lost the ability to agree to disagree and leave it at that?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Just for the record, even after having my home address and my wife's name posted on this public forum, I never sent a single anxiety whine of any kind.

Bob - send me a link to the post that has this information and I will vaporize it immediately.

Guys - it's clear that you all enjoy each others company. I won't lay down legislation in regard to the Paddock, but I will enforce such legislation from Ron.

And Ron - I meant to add in earlier.. Like you, I have been in many REAL racing paddocks and I have never seen anyone behave in the manner that some have here.. The separation by miles and the anonymity of the internet seems to give a lot of people beer-googles and they take out their frustrations and anxieties because they can't be physically touched..

Separate area for OT-politically-incorrect discussion might be one way to steer this crap out of the paddock. I don't know if it could be kept from the show "new posts" though...

I very much appreciate your efforts to restore civility to the Paddock. The personal attacks and veiled insults have no place as Keith and Jack have mentioned. I would miss certain non-political threads such as the Formula One 20xx, jokes, and some random musings that crop up. Please consider your last suggestion as it does seem to work on some forums that I frequent (yes, there are other forums that are "worthy")....

Keith

After thinking about it all a great deal, I believe the Paddock should be allowed to wither and die, but(!) be replaced with a new forum called The Butts.

This is because of the over whelming support for all kinds of Choppers on GT40's and clearly we can't get enough of them.

As posted on "Dilemma" thread, there is something incredibly attractive about a woman packing heat - bet you'll never see an ugly one and even if you did, you wouldn't tell her, right?

The Butts - it's brilliant but what say you?

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
I think the paddock should continue, but like the idea of the subforum someone mentioned. I have read some interesting posts that were in no way political or religious. I just did a search yesterday for an old one about Michis son's VW bug he was modifying, because there were some build details I liked and it had been so long I needed to refresh my memory. Since it was a Bug build it wouldn't seem to fit any of the other categories. Like most people here, although it is GT40 focused, I have an interest in all sorts of cars/vehicles. I think Ron has or had a build about one of my favorite old Torinos. Again, not sure where it would be placed if not in the paddock. Maybe subdivide it into car and non sections.

Hi Ron,

Basically as I feel it does the image of the site no good at all being associated with the some of the posting in The Paddock.
IMHO I think you just need a few volunteers to moderate the "guaranteed to cause a shit fight" posts off of the board.
Hand out some 3 months bans (seems to be the standard unit for a forum ban) to a few people and the problem will fixed pretty soon.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I was a daily peruser of a handful of forums when I joined this one, and I was extremely impressed by its integrity back then (2004). "Extremely high signal-to-noise ratio" was what someone called it, and I wholeheartedly agreed at that time. I used to try to make sure anything I posted was something to build the collective community, whether in the Paddock or technical sub-forums.

Things changed. I rode out the heated conversations during the demise of RF1 & RL, I said my peace in public with Oliver (John), and I was hoping that was as far off center as the forum would go.

What I have seen evolve (or de-volve) in the Paddock has discouraged me from spending much time here in recent years- despite the fact that I was finally getting on with my build. My previous enjoyment of the extracurricular topics has rather evaporated with the heat from all the arguing and hassle. I'm not terribly proud to see it on what was once my absolute favorite website and I have definitely reduced my presence both on my build thread as well as in general.

I realize it's all "hyperthetical conversation", but whether it's politics, religion, guns, or _______, I really don't think anyone stands a legitimate chance of influencing someone's personal beliefs because of someone else has posted their opinion on the internet. I think sharing opinions and perspectives with the objective of growth and understanding is a positive thing. Beating someone or some topic senseless over the internet with the expectation of changing someone else's long-standing beliefs is not.

I enjoyed the "old" Paddock and do not wish it to disappear. I think there is a function for it to fill and room for a wide spectrum of topics. I think discretion on the part of the community for just how far the conversation should go before crossing the line is what is needed to get the Paddock back to where it should be. I also think that's been what's unfortunately been lacking here for a while.

And in conclusion...

Yes, please keep the Paddock.

My fellow GT40s.com'ers, please grow up a little bit and realize we're all in this together to build something positive out of our experiences.

For someone who hasn't had a lot to say lately, I suddenly had a lot to say. Thanks to Randy for opening the thread and giving me a chance to say my peace.

Merry Christmas!

Chris

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
I really don't think anyone stands a legitimate chance of influencing someone's personal beliefs because of someone else has posted their opinion on the internet. I think sharing opinions and perspectives with the objective of growth and understanding is a positive thing. Beating someone or some topic senseless over the internet with the expectation of changing someone else's long-standing beliefs is not.

Merry Christmas!

Chris

I agree completely, as so much is being made of the de-sensitizing that video games cause, it appears to be lost in the internet "debate?" exercise. Well spoken.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
I felt I should add that it isn't just in this forum, it is the same and sometimes worse on others...sports seem to really get the name calling activity to a frenzied pitch.

I would say keep the Paddock subforum. There are so many topics with interesting or amusing content that it would be a shame to eliminate all of it for the sake of a few miscreants. In most of the forums I have seen, from automotive to boating, even to RC aircraft, there are those individuals who live for a fight. They have nothing better to do than stir the pot......but, they only get satisfaction when others take the bait and respond. In the end, it is our own personal choice to get involved. If we choose to ignore the thread/post, the debate goes nowhere and the antagonist is left to argue with the trees. Difficult to ignore the insults but it does work. I would suggest the elimination of political, religion based, gun control or abortion, etc, posts but I fully realize this requires a lot of time from the moderators, and, say, a simple comment on an elected official's behavior might be posted as amusing in intent, not derogatory. One of the major civic organizations is dedicated to not having any discourse involving those topics ...and it has worked well for them for a long time. This is much more difficult to do when the participants are not face-to-face as in web forums. Perhaps, as suggested and practiced in other forums, a temporary posting ban be imposed if a particular individual displays malicious intent or is flagrantly abusive of others. If they threaten to leave - see 'ya. It would require checking their accounts to make sure the offender didn't re-register as someone else.
So, all said, I vote to keep the forum section known as the Paddock.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
It will be a sad indictment of the moderators when this "paddock" closes for good. It surelyas well, will so long as the main protagonists are allowed to continue with the banal and crass posts and any of you regualr guys reply to them. They, the three of them, have been on my ignore list now for quite a while so I am happy not to hear anything from them unless somebody makes a quote in a reply to them then their posts are visible. Do we have to even respond to them? Thats what they feed off - your replies. No doubt they will have a go at this post but WTF I don't really care.
For everyone else I wish a Happy New Year.
For those three Piss Off somewhere else.
Unfortunately, it may have gone to far as most of the regular Stalwarts on the paddock thread have gone elsewhere now.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I just had a thought. Maybe it's me and my previous posts are winding everybody up.
If it is, then I'll stop using the forum - full stop. Would they do the same if we had a poll?

Ron Earp

Admin
Hand out some 3 months bans (seems to be the standard unit for a forum ban) to a few people and the problem will fixed pretty soon.
!

I like the three month ban idea. But who would a moderator ban? Someone who's opinions were different from his but who wrote eloquently? Someone who had the same opinion as his but used inflammatory language in their posts? Or, ban the people who post nowhere else but the paddock since they are clearly here to stir the pot?

I was a daily peruser of a handful of forums when I joined this one, and I was extremely impressed by its integrity back then (2004). "Extremely high signal-to-noise ratio" was what someone called it, and I wholeheartedly agreed at that time.

I enjoyed the "old" Paddock and do not wish it to disappear. I think there is a function for it to fill and room for a wide spectrum of topics.

With the exception of the paddock, I think the forum still has a high signal to noise ratio. Particularly when compared against other car forums. There is good tech here, some of the best build threads on the net, and a lot of knowledgeable members. The paddock is no longer indexed on the main "New Posts" listing.

I'm all for having a place for people to have non-GT40 discussions. But if we eliminate politics, social issues, and controversial topics then there isn't a whole lot left.

I just had a thought. Maybe it's me and my previous posts are winding everybody up.
If it is, then I'll stop using the forum - full stop. Would they do the same if we had a poll?

I don't think it is you. You aren't any more or less vocal that some of the other characters on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back