Cheshire SGT build

Hi Ed

Mine are attached directly to the frame in that location (OK - clecos only at the moment, but planning on rivetting them permanently this weekend)

48564371771_39f7c1abd2_o.jpg

Cheers,

Ed

thanks looks like your doing a lovely neat job on your panels by the way looks great

Perhaps this gives you an idea... thus moving the rad just alittle more forward and getting more room to run the AC hoses. Pic from SGT in their workshop.

The other old pics are from one of my SGT’s

I hardmounted mine on inside chassisrail with alu panel all the way, drilled out the rivetheads where the rad came.

In hindsight, I will alter my fixing onto brackets and rubber mount the radiator on outside vertical rail to reduce the risk of any core issues in the future.

Good luck

Morten
thanks for the pics very helpful :)

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I’ve left out many panels, still waiting with front bulkhead, widened the rear bulkhead hole for engine access and fuel/brakeline runs.
I wish I’d fitted the loom before quarterpanels, and actually every panel and fiberglass where the AC and looms go through.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Pic my sgt bulkhead and Sill, made up a cable tray in alu. Still need to Pclip and tidy up. Many holes to drill and grommets in that top sill. M:)

Attachments

• 5260AD20-3A79-4E35-8347-C24C0D729AEB.jpeg
    5260AD20-3A79-4E35-8347-C24C0D729AEB.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 432
  • 78A04B4A-7BD4-4D4C-83B5-F89E0FF707F7.jpeg
    78A04B4A-7BD4-4D4C-83B5-F89E0FF707F7.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 454
I’ve left out many panels, still waiting with front bulkhead, widened the rear bulkhead hole for engine access and fuel/brakeline runs.
I wish I’d fitted the loom before quarterpanels, and actually every panel and fiberglass where the AC and looms go through.

Quite a few suggestions about leaving a few of the panels off to do all that work think im planning on doing a bit of a test run with most of the brake lines wireing loom ect and cutting all the required holes before getting my panels powder coated might take a bit longer but with any luck be a bit less frustrating haha

Once again guys not a massive update but makeing good progress sure your all finding my panel pics a bit dull now haha :D but will be good for me to look back in the build log in the future so thought I would be quite detailed
IMG_20191127_183624.jpg
IMG_20191127_183640.jpg
IMG_20191128_162951.jpg
IMG_20191128_162957.jpg
IMG_20191129_143657.jpg
IMG_20191129_143703.jpg

i found these panels a bit annoying as there is no backing plate behind them so I shaped them around the weld but think it looks a bit messy that they aren't simmetrical but doing that would leave hole between the panel and the tube/weld but sure it will all blend in nicely once I have had the panels powder coated if anyone is wondering I cut the shape out roughly on the band saw then used a Dremel with a sanding but to shape around the tube (several to be honest haha :D)
IMG_20191129_143710.jpg
IMG_20191130_171552.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20191129_143710.jpg
    IMG_20191129_143710.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 389

Ed McClements

Supporter
I found these panels a bit annoying as there is no backing plate behind them so I shaped them around the weld but think it looks a bit messy that they aren't simmetrical but doing that would leave hole between the panel and the tube/weld but sure it will all blend in nicely once I have had the panels powder coated if anyone is wondering I cut the shape out roughly on the band saw then used a Dremel with a sanding but to shape around the tube (several to be honest haha :D)

I think that your eye is drawn to them at the moment, partly because you have been concentrating on profiling that panel around the weld bead, and partly because the engine bay is empty. Once it's full of Ford v8, fuel pumps, header tank, four x Webers and a convoluted exhaust manifold neither you nor anyone else is going to be looking at the way those two panels are carefully fitted to the chassis. Particularly if the engine is running! Keep it up.

I think that your eye is drawn to them at the moment, partly because you have been concentrating on profiling that panel around the weld bead, and partly because the engine bay is empty. Once it's full of Ford v8, fuel pumps, header tank, four x Webers and a convoluted exhaust manifold neither you nor anyone else is going to be looking at the way those two panels are carefully fitted to the chassis. Particularly if the engine is running! Keep it up.

Yeh sure your right just hard not to notice at the moment and like everyone on here I want to get it as good as possible :)

Ed McClements

Supporter
Yeh sure your right just hard not to notice at the moment and like everyone on here I want to get it as good as possible :)

I'm in exactly the same position as you, and discovered the obsession with perfection was actually stopping me from making any progress at all! In fact, I still haven't finished / rivetted those same panels you're working on...!

I'm in exactly the same position as you, and discovered the obsession with perfection was actually stopping me from making any progress at all! In fact, I still haven't finished / rivetted those same panels you're working on...!
Yeh don't think it always helps spent a good few hours trying to get the back section where the suspension arm goes though to fit neatly the other day and was fiddling and after about 4-5 hours think I made it worse haha :D oh well I'm sure it won't be noticeable when I have finnished

Not sure your budget, but maybe etch prime and then 2K polyurethane your ally panels yourself instead of paying for powdercoating? The durability of 2K is about the same and a stone is going to chip anything at 70mph anyway!
Look out for a 3M Accuspray Gun going cheap on ebay, they are not expensive and the design means you don't have to worry about cleaning the gun as it's a disposable nozzle (you can clean if you want a few uses out of one nozzle though).

Not sure your budget, but maybe etch prime and then 2K polyurethane your ally panels yourself instead of paying for powdercoating? The durability of 2K is about the same and a stone is going to chip anything at 70mph anyway!
Look out for a 3M Accuspray Gun going cheap on ebay, they are not expensive and the design means you don't have to worry about cleaning the gun as it's a disposable nozzle (you can clean if you want a few uses out of one nozzle though).
I tryed out quite a few paints and decided to get it all powder coated in the end bit of a thicker coating seemed like it would hold up better in the long run and really happy how the floor pan came out so going to get the rest done to match but thanks for the advice was considering it

IMG_20191208_193425.jpg
IMG_20191209_194017.jpg
IMG_20191209_194022.jpg
IMG_20191209_194028.jpg

Hi guys I got a day on it and really starting to look good now almost finnished on the engine bay area just wondering if anyone knows is the vertical panel with the cut outs for the suspension mount supposed to be riveted to the the very outer strut looks like it's too far back and would need the panel be bent to rivet on

Also need to clean the workshop haha :D

Hi guys have a couple of questions about some of the panel fitting if anyone can help is this panel supposed to be cut around the plate on the frame
IMG_20191213_144211.jpg
IMG_20191213_144206.jpg

And is the panel begins supposed to be riveted the that part of the frame aswell?
IMG_20191213_144241.jpg
IMG_20191213_144246.jpg

Back