Chuck and Ryan's RCR Build

Chuck

Supporter
Moonbuggy, 2014

A year ago I detailed the moonbuggy: Ryan’s Southern Illinois University senior design project. As you may recall SIU came home with the Design award; the most coveted recognition and one never achieved by SIU before.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/22083-chuck-ryans-rcr-build-46.html#post406522

The buggy was designed by and the majority of the construction was completed by Ryan in our garage. SIU provided little support, requiring Ryan to seek funding sources and technical support outside the university. It was trailered to the competition in our Cobra / GT40 trailer to avoid having to reimburse the university for the use of an SIU vehicle from the teams limited resources.

What a difference a year makes.

SIU took the award achieved last year and turned it into part of an advertising campaign. SIU posted billboards throughout Illinois, some of which carry the slogan “Our other car is an award winning moonbuggy.”

This year the financing was much better. Two buggies arrived in a custom trailer with the SIU engineering logo emblazoned on the side.

This year’s team built a new buggy. The new buggy built by SIU followed the same general design parameters established by Ryan in last year’s buggy.

This past weekend the race was held at the NASA facility in Huntsville.

Both last year’s buggy and the new buggy were entered by SIU. Having already won the design competition, last year’s buggy was no longer eligible for that award. But it could still compete on the race course.

Remember this is a competition where colleges from around the world participate. Germany, England, India, other countries and many US universities are represented. Around 90 teams participate.

At the race track this past weekend Ryan’s buggy came in second place.

But it gets better. The new buggy built by the SIU team came in third place.

What started as Ryan’s senior design project, designed on a computer in his bedroom and built primarily in our garage, has now put SIU’s engineering department on the map. Watch for the advertising that will undoubtedly follow on the heels of this victory.

A picture of last years buggy on its way to a second place victory this year is attached.

Okay. Back to the GT now.

Attachments

• Moonbuggy2014.jpg
    Moonbuggy2014.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 900

Chuck

Supporter
Air Filters

Driving the GT with no air filters on the Webers is a bit disconcerting. There are just no effective air filters that preserve the look of the original and fit under the clip. The addition of the reversion plate further complicates the problem.

The ‘tea strainer’ filters keep the big chunks out but also cost ten to twenty horses. And they won’t keep the fine stuff out at all. With a reversion plate in place we removed the tea strainers.

When the GT was originally built stainless steel screens were added to the two air intakes on the rear clip, detailed in a prior post. [Permalink 442] Why not add a filter?

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/22083-chuck-ryans-rcr-build-23.html

Polyurethane Foam filter material from McMaster Carr, part # 9803K307 was used. Quarter inch thick material, cut slightly larger than the shape of the opening, should stay in place, although a short piece of safety wire was added just to be sure.

Of course there are plenty of other areas where unfiltered air can find its way to the carbs, but the scoops on the side of the clip should generate a bit more positive pressure and in theory the filtered air will be the primary source.

Since few miles are put on the GT annually, since it is only driven in clear weather, since we are fanatical about oil changes, we figure this little filter addition should give us adequate protection.

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 714
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 993
As I plan and research for an RCR build in two years, I read and skip over the build threads from time to time.
I have over the past three days read your entire thread. This has been very informative and the detail taken in your build is great. Thanks, David

I too have read your build blog all the way through and I couldn't be more impressed with the quality of your build. I am sure you provide inspiration for many would be gt 40 builders such as myself
:thumbsup:

Chuck

Supporter
Dave and George

Thanks for the kind words.

Been a bit preoccupied with the airplane build, so have not driven the GT much lately.

So many projects, so little time . . . .

Chuck

Chuck, I got your name from Paul Procfrock (Gateway Club). I was looking for other guy's in S Ill. I have a FF MK111 and am in Carbondale/Murphysboro area, graduated SIU. I would love to see your car, did'nt know there was a GT40 in the area. [email protected]

Chuck

Supporter
John

Just saw your post. Happy to show it to you. Email sent.

Drove the GT today, taking advantage of this warm respite.

Chuck

Chuck

Supporter
When Ryan and I met Fran eight years ago and placed an order for a GT 40, little did we know where it would lead.

It sparked Ryan's interest in building cars and led to a degree in mechanical engineering a couple of years ago.

Then to a job at Ford.

And now In a couple weeks Ryan will be joining the engineering team responsible for producing the new Ford GT!

And it all started with a visit with Fran at RCR a few short years ago . . . .

Chuck

as I said to Ryan last night over our Thirsty Thursday beer, be careful what you wish for...
Obviously all of us at RCR are very proud of Ryan and the part we have played in his success.

Haha. I did the same thing for all the same reasons. I was involved SAE projects and my own race car build in college which ultimately led to a mechanical engineering degree. I tried to get involved in racing, performance cars...anything. I ended up working at a Ford engine plant as a process engineer for a couple years. I essentially created Excel spread sheets. I now wish I held out for something more specifically oriented. You're starting point really can dictate a path.
Congrats to your son for the accomplishment. If he wants his life to follow that path he has achieved a great starting point.
Now, to get my performance car and racing fix I build my own stuff, like a RCR40 that's 1/2 through the ordering process.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Truly Fabulous!!!!!

I'm sure Ryan will be a positive addition to the team!!

That is absolutely amazing. Ryan, congratulations. Very inspiring - this is what the world needs more of - young folks kicking ass and taking names. Enough of the group of people that would rather sit home surfing the internet.

Now Ryan, can you get me a deal on the new GT?

Back