Classic Car Developments Chassis #3

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Using a very simple jig and my trusty router I cut slots in the rear spoiler over the weekend and trial mounted it.

Attachments

• Jig.jpg
    Jig.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 814
  • Spoiler.jpg
    Spoiler.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 1,020

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Been away for a few weeks Alan. Back now so time to crack back into it....

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Quietly plugging away at the bodywork. All holes for lights and indicators now cut and glassed in the headlight mounting plates last night. Finding time to do stuff is the biggest issue at the moment.

Attachments

• HL mount.jpg
    HL mount.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 704

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Got the panels that cover the rear of the headlight/driving light recess cut out last night and fitted them using rivnuts. Looks a bit rough at first glance, but that is the plastic coating on the aluminium....

Attachments

• Holes.jpg
    Holes.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 628
  • Rivnuts.jpg
    Rivnuts.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 620
  • cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 700

Keith

Brian, is the MKII rear end easily interchangeable with the MKI on an original style mono or are chassis mods necessary?

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Good question Keith. The way the hinge points are mounted is different on the MKI and MKII, with the MKI points being mounted on the rear subframe that also carries the undertray. On the MKII the hinge points are mounted either side of a small subframe, that also has the quick-lift jack points on it, bolted aft of the transaxle (see picture). Mine will have have the MKI rear subframe, but also the MKII subframe with jacking points (yeah, I know - unnecessary weight....). So, in theory the MKI and MKII clips will be interchangeable.

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 730

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Shaped and installed the pair of aluminium "spacers" needed to hold the perspex part of the transaxle scoop in place last night.

Attachments

• Scoop.jpg
    Scoop.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 661

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Cut out and drilled the rear window last weekend - nervous times drilling and countersinking the holes. Drilled holes in the bodywork and trial mounted today.

Attachments

• Rear window.jpg
    Rear window.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 720

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Looks dreadful, you'll have to do it all over again.

LOL actually it looks fine. I remember that part and the associated anxiety. Lots of that.

When's the sea trial, or road trial, whatever?

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Been pottering away on the bodywork over the last few weekends. Lights all fitted now and light covers all trimmed to size, drilled and countersunk. Since I'm going for the early MKII look, as in the white car pictured, I made and fitted a divider for the single nostril and fitted hinges to the nostril panel with Dzus fasteners at the front. Some gapping to do, but coming together...

Attachments

• Lights.jpg
    Lights.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 679
  • MKIIA.jpg
    MKIIA.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 787
  • Divider 1.jpg
    Divider 1.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 652
  • Divider 2.jpg
    Divider 2.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 752
Last edited:

Brian Stewart
Supporter
It will finally have some feet to stand on. Wheels machined and painted and the tyres fitted.

Attachments

• Wheels.jpg
    Wheels.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 1,097

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Hi Dave. They are three piece wheels from Image Wheels in the UK. However, I wasn't keen on the standard look of the Image wheels, with a noticable gap between the centre and the rim and a pretty flat centre (see picture). To get a more original look I had some rings laser cut from 20mm aluminium plate, glued them in using aircraft grade epoxy, then had a sloping profile machined. Paint is a Land Rover colour - Maya Gold metallic, code GAN. Tyres are Avon CR6ZZs - 215/60VR15 fronts and 295/50VR15 rears.

Attachments

• Wheels before.jpg
    Wheels before.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 968

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Rear grille fabricated and fitted.

Attachments

• Rear grille.jpg
    Rear grille.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 679
Back