Cowby builders

I'm now two and a half years into a six month house build.
Below is just an example of the incompetence I am having to deal with!

Attachments

• cowboys!!!!!.jpg
    cowboys!!!!!.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 327
Cool, that Bluetooth stuff is just what i need in my life then, would solve so many problems. See Simon you've employed really high tech builders that are pushing the envelope on your behalf.

Simon, the two plugs are for integrated appliances? and should therefore have either an unswitched socket behind them and a fused switch above the work surface or a switched socket in an adjacent unit.If one guy is doing the whole job you are employing one idiot, if you have seperate electrican, kitchen-fitter,designer etc you have lots DMcG

I think a distinct lack of common sense is what stuns me here. It seems that these guys just don't speak to each other!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Simon you have my sympathy, I built a house that was supposed to take 12 months max, it was completed after three years and basically every part of the build had to be done at least twice, sometimes three or four times because of the incompetence of the tradesmen and the project managers. Yes that's plural, the fourth and last project manager knew his stuff and finally got the job done. The previous three were fired.

Simon,

Like Peter, I've gone through the building thing, and you have my symapathies also.

It seems that the entire world is filled with contractors who think that craftsmanship is a type of cheese. It's VERY frustrating.

Lance

Simon,
I think you should send an e-mail off to Mike Holmes. Holmes on Homes, I don't think he done a show in the UK yet. He will fix you up. He hates lousy contractors.
Dave

Simon, you can only grit your teeth and do your absolute best to get through the process with as much civil communication as you can muster. My house building experience was like Pete's, with both licensed tradesmen and the Supervisor dropping the ball continually. I'm still fixing things, decades later, which wouldn't be showing up as a problem if it had been built correctly (at no extra cost) in the first place.

When I first came out of college I worked for the largest residential developer on the west coast of the US - half a billion in sales and that was 20+ years ago - my office was right in the middle of the construction managers and it was clear to me pretty quickly that their job was basically to scream and threaten subcontractors all day long for poor workmanship and screw ups. Frankly, if the subcontractors showed up to the jobsite sober that was considered a success...

Simon,
If you need an electrician that does good work. I can put you intouch with the guy that did my extension. As David says, should be a switched fused unit at the worksurface level with just a standard sokcet underneath.

Come round and see mine if you need to take pictures to show the idiots, I mean proffessionals ;)

Brett

Brett

Back