Dan's GTD Getting some attention

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Been a couple of weeks but big updates. Finished polishing all aluminum panels and finally have new tires. I am now able to enjoy the car for the first time.

Attachments

• IMG_20180602_161226716.jpg
    IMG_20180602_161226716.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_20180603_153418660.jpg
    IMG_20180603_153418660.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_20180603_154033032_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180603_154033032_HDR.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_20180606_180952034.jpg
    IMG_20180606_180952034.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 580

Dan Kasten

Supporter
I am just in love with these tires. I could not get the avon tires, they just weren't in my budget. I bought these instead. They are Mickey Thomson s/r radials. The car looks so much better now to me. This was the last thing I needed to hit the streets. Tomorrow I plan to do some driving / testing.

Attachments

• new tires 2.jpg
    new tires 2.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 599

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Drive the wheels off of it with a big smile!

I just spent 2 hours running around and I have to tell you, the adrenaline rush just doesn't go away. What an awesome ride! No issues at all. Trans was a little tight in the beginning but it woke up within a few miles. This car is a beast, throttle response off the hook. I got out at one point and I had rubber legs lol. This was probably one of the best days of my life. This is going to be a great summer!

Dan Kasten

Supporter
DAN,

LET US KNOW HOW YOU LIKE THE Mickey Thomson s/r radials

WALT

The tires are great, however they are for the street. I see most cars are being built for track time here and my car will be staying on the street. The speed rating is for 130mph not a vr tire. the grip is awesome and the look is just to my liking, I call it the cool factor. Car stuck like glue to the street, before with the old tires they would break loose immediately, these allow me to actually lay into the throttle.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
I spent all day driving the car around, 80 degree day and found no temperature issues. I had a blast! I do have a few electrical issues, the white lights on the bottom do not work, the horn does not work. The tires are awesome hooks up hard, noticed it is eating up large amounts of fuel lol, I filled up twice today. I know you guys already know this but I see the car demands respect at all times, every move is a calculation. Sitting on the right side of the car started off as a different experience but now I am just fine with it. I am glad to be enjoying it like most of you guys have been.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
So today starts a new adventure. My dad had given me and my brother a car each to enjoy and restore, per my posts I have achieved that. Today I was handed the keys to the car that makes the set of Fords complete..........

Attachments

• brother me pic.jpg
    brother me pic.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 602

Dan Kasten

Supporter
This is the car I got the keys to today. This car has been sitting since the late 80's. This is a contemporary cobra kit, we will be bringing it to my shop next week. This car has a 427 side oiler with a 4 speed. The car has 0 miles on it and needs to be finished.

Attachments

• cobra first day pic.jpg
    cobra first day pic.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 508
  • cobra start motor pic.jpg
    cobra start motor pic.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 528
  • cobra start.jpg
    cobra start.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 523

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Would your Dad be interested in adopting any more sons ? You have some very nice cars there. Congrats !!

Chris Kouba

Supporter
I am just in love with these tires. I could not get the avon tires, they just weren't in my budget. I bought these instead. They are Mickey Thomson s/r radials.

Hi Dan,

What sizes did you end up using? What are your wheel sizes (widths)?

Thanks,
Chris

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Would your Dad be interested in adopting any more sons ? You have some very nice cars there. Congrats !!
Thank You Brian, and no adoptions LOL. This car will not be staying with me. My dad has not been in the best of health so my brother and myself are going to finish the car for him to drive, kinda a giving back thing. We are looking forward to having the 3 cars together at the local shows this summer.

My two most fav. cars. Pantera and GT40. Sweet. The contemporary cobra is a real gem. They made a very nice car back in the day. I still remember them having two cars at the New Hope car show back in the early 80's. Ah, those were the days.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Been a couple of months since I have been on here, thought I would say Hi!
I have been driving the car whenever I can, however I sure have had my share of issues.
1. Car stopped charging and had to replace and upgrade the alternator to a internal regulated unit with more amps. (Big improvement)
2. Had minor coolant leaks and I ended up having all hoses and lines replaced throughout the car
3. Had starter issues when it was hot so I replaced it with a gear reduction starter.
4. Distributor was giving me an issue until I saw that it is a dual points distributor, just ordered a MSD electronic one instead.
5. Had the ac re-charged but this issue is the worst one. The ac comes out ice cold but the car itself is really hot on a 80-90 degree day. I feel my face ice cold but the rest of my body I think is the same temperature as the engine bay. I am going to have to look into some type of insulation to put in the car.

Besides the issues the car has been an awful lot of fun, performance is great and I wish I had a dollar for every thumbs up I get.

Dan Kasten

Supporter
Well after working on the GTD for the last 4 years I finally have it in a good place. The car has been nothing but reliable as of lately and has been fun to drive. I decided to take on a new project and picked it up yesterday to begin my new journey. My new project is a Contemporary Cobra that my dad had started to build in the mid 80's, The car was left on his lift for over 30 years 90% complete. I am ready to get this car over the finishing line in the next few months and thought to show some photos. This is how it looked when we got it over to my shop.

cobra 5.jpg
cobra 2.jpg

Back