DAX the one for Me!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Oh well I guess Santa came early!

I have just agreed the purchase of a DAX 40 through Brian Magee so now it is time to change my sign on from looking to build / purchase to Purchased a pile of bits and now fumbling around trying to figure our how they fit together.

The basis is a DAX 40 (for those not in the know this is actually about a 42 as they worked an extra 2 inches into the doors)

It came into being in 1990 and was being put together slowly - or should that be very slowly with all new parts so hopefully I will get a proper registration plate after SVA.

Engine is a Rover 3.9 injected unit - again bought new than worked and comes with dyne at 250bhp

Box is a Renault UN1

15 inch wheels and tyres

Electrics, lights, switches etc

Leather seats and dash, all carpeting as dealer supplied.

Missing are Gauges, radiator & fans, and exhaust and no doubt some other small bits

Now I can join the GT40 smilers club - what a great buzz and it isn't even driving yet!

Next job is to clear the crap out the garage and get it home.

No doubt I'll start asking for assistance with problem areas but that will come further down the road.

Pictures etc once they are to hand.

I'm a lucky lad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian

You are a lucky lad indeed! I still enjoy just sitting in mine, shifting the stick, and yelling Zoom-Zoom! Mainly because that's all you can do in the winter anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Nice one Ian, I have a DAX40 too, so will be interested to compare notes and help with any info I can give. Be sure to check out my posts as there are quite a few pictures in them. I have lots of other pics too so let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Well done Ian, good luck with the asasembly.
Do you have headers for the engine?
There are some for sale in the "parts for sale" section.
I found the ad, but it's nothing to do with me.

Simon

Nice one Ian, the more the merrier!
As a point of interest, does anyone know what ever happened to the DAX40? I seem to remember reading that the project was sold to a guy that shortly after the purchase was killed in a plane crash or something but I would have thought that this kit would have made some sort of a revival by now. Does anyone know what became of it all?

Ian, Congrats. Lucky Lad indeed. I think you and Dave are the only DAX guys on this Forum (I may be wrong). Post pictures when you can.

P.S No Jethro Tull jokes here!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congrats Ian. As both of us a larger than the average 40 owner, we can show everyone how its done!
If you want to have a look at my KVA to see how I made the extra room you are very welcome. See you at Stoneleigh in May!!!

And about bloody time too ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Nice one Ian.

Damn, we'll have to find a new support vehicle for Spa and Le Mans!
Congratulations, Ian, I thought you'd never do it, but am delighted that you have.
Do you have an 'on the road' ETA?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for all the good wishes - and hopefully it will arrive sometime between hristmas and New Year - Photos will be done then.

Fali I think you've hit me with most of the jokes in the past! I would rather have a 40 than play a flute! Perhaps though with his record sales I could buy an original!

Tony Spa backup may be possible but I hope to have it on the road for Le Mans Classic 2006.

Does anyoine have a build manual fot the DAX? If not anyone got a manual for a GTD as I beilive they are very similar.

Thanks
Ian

Ian,

I have a GTD build manual you can borrow if you like.
I also have a sales brochure for the DAX40, I'll scan it and send you a copy if you like.

Simon

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Simon

Many thanks for the offer of the manual - also great - thanks for the sales brocure again much appreciated.

Thanks
Ian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Santa's delivery was a bit late this year but arrived today.

Attachments

• 49434-car1a.jpg
    49434-car1a.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 253

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Brian Magee removing the restraining bits. Note the "go fast" packing tape holding the doors and clips down - Brian was saying it started to flap on the journey and better safe than sorry.

Attachments

• 49435-car2a.jpg
    49435-car2a.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 239

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ian O'Reiley helping guide the car down the ramps. I has the rack fitted but no steering column / wheel so steering was not easy!

Attachments

• 49436-car3a.jpg
    49436-car3a.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 251

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Bits that came with it. Full set of carpets, rear covers for the frnt lights, exhaust headers and baffles - (nothing to join the two up!), Lights, brake parts, spare discs, Vacuum brake servos, and a big lump of plastic on the left that supposedly comes out of a Coesa for the heating matrix - I recon this would fill the cockpit

Attachments

• 49437-car5a.jpg
    49437-car5a.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 251

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
The Engine and box are fitted. Range Rover engine with EFI. The rear clip sits on the EFI cover and the fibeglass will need trimmed to allow the last 1/2 inch of clearance. Moulding ion the clip is in fiberglass and will take an age to cut out all the holes - perhaps cut out the whole sectopn and replace with stainless steel.

Attachments

• 49439-car9a.jpg
    49439-car9a.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 253

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
View of the cockpit - loads of wires - perhaps up to 3 wiring looms, steering column (not attached) Rod linkage (part fitted) Leather seats

Attachments

• 49440-car10a.jpg
    49440-car10a.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 228

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Me surveying the damage - and statng "what the hell have I just done" This could be a long haul

Attachments

• 49441-car13a.jpg
    49441-car13a.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 258
Back