Dean's GT-R build thread

Do you have any more detailed pics of fire wall to pulley clearance than #132 or #170? Maybe even a shot up from bottom that illustrates the firewall clearance as I'm using the 5.8 Shelby......fear its going to be tight.

Luke

Guys, I really sorry I haven't kept the thread moving and I appreciate all the PM's checking in.

I have had a lot come up lately that has taken all my focus and attention. Sure, there is always a few hours to spend in the shop but the last few projects I have attempted on the car have been a little frustrating. If you couple that with the rest of the stuff I have had on my plate, I have chosen to step back for a little while. I can post a few things I have completed to bring the thread up to speed but there isn't much.

I'm taking some time off in the next few weeks but when I get back I will be back in the shop with renewed enthusiasm. I will do a better job of answring my PM's too!

Alright, (deep breathe) here we go again. I'll just pick up where I left off.

I needed to take the engine harness apart so the wires reached my injectors. Here is the stock wiring. You can see my problem.

So just remove these little clips and and start pulling the wires apart.

Make sure you number your injectors or you might run into problems later!

That is a little intimidating. My goal was to re-route the wires without cutting anything. Once it is up and running, then I can selectively trim connectors I'm no longer using.

I was able to run the injector wires down the middle in new loom and get everything else put back together in a clean new loom.

Finished wiring on the engine harness. It looks factory or maybe a little better!

I needed to go back a change a few things. That's the beauty of a very public build, you get some great advice from people who are to humble to publically share why they are experts. There are some incredible members here! Anyway, I added a filter to the tranny cooler system. These parts are the parts I was using in the engine oil system.

Then I moved up to -12 lines for the engine oil. I first wanted to test fit all the fittings. There were some issues with the bigger lines but I figured it out.

http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac97/DeanLampe/GTR%20Build/AD51EC56-B4D4-4D39-8594-009C28B40B63_zpsmexwivn1.jpg[/IMG]

These lines don't bend like the smaller ones so I was extra careful to cut correctly the first time!

I should have the oil systems on the tranny and engine finally done.

Welcome back Dean, we have missed you. I pray all is well with you and yours. The build continues to impress me with your knowledge and those who employ their talents in support of your build. Will be ordering my GT-R soon.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I don't want to appear impatient or 'pushy', Dean...but...uh...it's been darned near 3 months since your last 'update'...and uh...some of us 'round here are gettin' a bit 'antsy' for one...ya know? :shrug:

(If some personal tragedy has occurred, ignore my last and please accept my sympathies and my apology for bringing up the above.)

Last edited:
Dean, Hello I work/live in Louisiana but Waterloo Il. is home. I'll be there for Thanksgiving and then back for Christmas. I'll have more time at Christmas I'd really like to see your cars. My family is from [email protected]

I don't want to appear impatient or 'pushy', Dean...but...uh...it's been darned near 3 months since your last 'update'...and uh...some of us 'round here are gettin' a bit 'antsy' for one...ya know? :shrug:

Knowing Dean, he finished it, drove it and sold it by now. :)

Well John you would be right under normal circumstances but it's still in the garage. Matt I sent you an email but I haven't heard back. You are welcome to stop by anytime.

Gary is right, I'm waiting on some stuff and I have been extremely busy at the office lately. But I might be holding out on you guys a little.:lipsrsealed:

I have been working a lot on the wiring, including the fitting and finishing of the dash. The wiring is tricky but I'm not a wiring guy. There are basically 3 systems, the Infinity (ISIS) system, the AEM engine management and the gauges. To complicate it further the RCR stuff is set up for an LS application and I'm using a coyote. The AEM stuff is designed for a 2014 coyote and earlier and mine is a 2015. Even if it worked on the 2015, it was designed for the factory intake which is gone and replaced with the Borla 8 stack.

So you can see why I might spend a lot of time in the garage just staring at the 4 miles of wires strung out on the floor!

I'll try to post some pictures of my progress soon. Fran sent me some cool stuff last week which should be here soon and you will like to see that as well.

Hopefully your ITB experience is better than mine - my engine would only idle with 0-1* of timing, so my headers would be glowing cherry red at 1k rpm idle within 30 seconds of a cold start. Really pissed me off - not that hard to tune on the dyno, but what good is it if it's pissing on your engine when it's not under load.

It really is true what they say about ITBs/stacks - happiest day of your life is when you unbox them; next happiest day is when you take them off the engine and resell them. f*k ITBs.

Back