Del's Build: SLC IR/8

Got a few things accomplished over the weekend. Friday I made an overlay for the e-brake calipers to cover up the SL-C logo in my effort to delete the dash on what I could on the car. Then cut out some Superlite logos in matching shades of gray and orange vinyl. With the wheels on no one will likely notice them, but I do.

Also wrapped the OMP emblem for the steering wheels's horn button with satin black and added the Superlite logos, again in matching shades of gray and orange vinyl. Wrapped a piece of orange vinyl around the center-line mark, wasn't really sure how well it'd work or even stay, but surprisingly enough it looks like it'll easily hold up to use. Next up is designing an inlay for the OMP logo on the wheel spokes, that'll take a bit of time as the decal will have to fit perfectly.

My buddy laser etched me some VIN tags for the car and got them in Saturday, so promptly installed them that evening as this was the last thing I needed to personally do for when I get the call to setup a time for trooper to come back out the house the 3rd and final time to verify, take pics and hand me my plate, title and registration. If anyone is interested in some of the plates, send me a PM.

A few pictures of the CarWebGuru launcher for my screen, I love this launcher and suits me perfectly. Thanks to Scott, I have a wiper knob with adapter to replace the stalk itself, this will allow me to see the full screen and easily access the volume up button. Installing it is next up on my list. While I was messing around, also added a couple more gauge layouts to the gauge cluster.

IMG_20190614_211733.jpg

IMG_20190614_214304.jpg

IMG_20190614_215318.jpg

IMG_20190614_215330.jpg

IMG_20190614_221650.jpg

IMG_20190614_221752.jpg

IMG_20190615_181250.jpg

IMG_20190615_181300.jpg

IMG_20190615_212628.jpg

IMG_20190615_212650.jpg

IMG_20190615_222342.jpg

IMG_20190615_221150.jpg

IMG_20190615_220335.jpg

IMG_20190615_220342.jpg

IMG_20190615_220713.jpg

Got my call this morning from the trooper! I'll be meeting him tomorrow at 10am at my house for VIN verification and to get my plate!

I'll probably drive it to work Thursday since it's cool in the morning and as soon as shop is open to charge HVAC I'll leave and go get that taken care of. Fixing to call around to make an appointment. I feel kinda like a douche because I will be waiting on it and I won't allow them to drive it. They really need to only pull it into a bay at worse, but it's been a long road I don't want to take any chances. Hopefully they can just roll machine out to the car.

It's officially street legal, time to put some (legal) miles on it. Process took me 22 days from first trooper visit to last one and wasn't near as bad as expected. It sucked, don't get me wrong, but thanks to the help and guidance of the trooper he made my life easier. I probably said it in an earlier post, but here's a rundown of what I had to do:

- 3 visits from the trooper to my house. 1st for initial visit, 2nd to take pics and get paperwork for BR from trooper, 3rd time to verify VIN and get my plate/title/certificate/registration.
- 2 trips to Baton Rouge DMV to bring paperwork, 1st time for rejection letter for trooper to start his paperwork and 2nd time to pay taxes.
- 2 drives to local inspection station. 1st time to get rejected sticker for no registration and 2nd time to swap out that sticker for a legit one.

IMG_20190619_102415.jpg

IMG_20190619_102337.jpg

Thanks!

First interstate trip was this morning to get HVAC charged and it's now a completely different experience than the previous 40 miles. Drove it then to work and parked it in the gravel parking lot. Everyone seems to be dumbfounded as to why I would even consider this, but it's just a car and one that will be driven. Now that it's cherry is popped, it won't stop me from driving it to work again, and again, and again!

I REALLY wished I'd put drop gears. While first is pointless as expected, it's not bad around town.. but turning 2900 RPMS at 70 sucks and considerably louder inside. At least I had enough cash to finish the car, but drop gears is high on my list over the winter maybe.

After driving the SLC around yesterday and hoping back in the Audi today, the only thing they're similar is in color alone. I obviously knew it would be, but it's cool to actually experience exactly how different these vehicles are. I can appreciate every aspect of each.

I really wanted to drive the SLC again to work today, but it needs an oil change and hasn't shown up yet. The SLC is exactly how I expected it to be, 100% raw. I think my favorite part of the car is the gated shifter. I had no clue how satisfying that mechanical feel and sound is, it'd be disappointing to have a car without one.

This weekend I will definitely get the oil changed and check the car over. Next up is to install fire extinguisher mount and drop them off to get powdercoated along with air intake tube for engine and HVAC knobs. Then Scott's wiper switch, since car is legal now this needs to be done ASAP. I want to remove the dash to add a ignition mini fuse block so I can wire up a couple of things (DRL and radar detector) and also have the Viper keyless entry to swap in.

I'll bet the Audi feels super squishy and numb in comparison!

That's totally accurate, especially numb when driving it. I do admit, it is more comfortable and roomy, lol

I may need to find some different shoes. I've been driving the car with some cheap $20 shoes I got free to review. They're very comfortable, but not much to them and are narrow. Yesterday I drove it with my Nike's and without a doubt could tell they were wider due to pedals being so much closer together. I felt like when braking, my foot was rubbing on the gas pedal some.

The pedal pads can be moved left/right; check to see that your gas and brake pedals are set at their widest setting if they aren't already.

The pedal pads can be moved left/right; check to see that your gas and brake pedals are set at their widest setting if they aren't already.

Awesome! I bet they're not, I put them on almost 2yrs ago and likely centered each pedal. Will adjust tonight, very good to know. Thanks!

Drew in AutoCAD 3D and my good buddy Trevor chamfered the edges in Fusion for me. I'm not 100% sure the size will look right on the, but they will fit. Big SLC in factory location and IR/8 on right side of ducktail. The smaller ones possibly will go on fenders, depending on how they look

Attachments

• IMG_20190624_164623.jpg
    IMG_20190624_164623.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_20190624_164613.jpg
    IMG_20190624_164613.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 484
Wet sanded and prepped emblems for paint while Racer sat by the race car. Been raining last 2 days so hopefully humidity won't be too bad tomorrow and can spray them.

Attachments

• IMG_20190625_172322.jpg
    IMG_20190625_172322.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_20190625_173226.jpg
    IMG_20190625_173226.jpg
    480.9 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_20190625_170304.jpg
    IMG_20190625_170304.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 538

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
That's totally accurate, especially numb when driving it. I do admit, it is more comfortable and roomy, lol

I may need to find some different shoes. I've been driving the car with some cheap $20 shoes I got free to review. They're very comfortable, but not much to them and are narrow. Yesterday I drove it with my Nike's and without a doubt could tell they were wider due to pedals being so much closer together. I felt like when braking, my foot was rubbing on the gas pedal some.

I've bought several pairs of driving shoes and the Puma Drift Cats are by far the best. Not very expensive either: https://us.puma.com/en/us/pd/drift-cat-7-mens-shoes/363813.html?dwvar_363813_color=01

I've bought several pairs of driving shoes and the Puma Drift Cats are by far the best. Not very expensive either: https://us.puma.com/en/us/pd/drift-cat-7-mens-shoes/363813.html?dwvar_363813_color=01

Thanks Pete! I was thinking someone on here mentioned shoes at one point and it was you. Spreading the pedals out definitely helped, just need more seat time to see how well it feels. Now that the rain has stopped and should dry up today I'll be able to drive it next few days to work.

I love the details Del. Extremely tasteful and well put together. Nice work! The only thing I would change is I would have the pooch larger!:D

Thank you! I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. It'll finally flip to triple digit mileage today, hopefully weather stays good and can put more miles on it.

Slowly warming up to the attention the SLC brings with it. By far was the biggest concern of owning it for me, I'd rather be incognito and just enjoy the car myself. I'm sure it may get annoying when trying to get some where on time, but I'm enjoying it. My favorite so far is the kid's reactions.

Not much done, but got to paint the emblems last night. They'll be installed before the weekend is up, likely tomorrow. Been having the IR/8 emblem floating around in my head for 2yrs, excited to see it on the car. And SLC emblems too, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20190626_171156.jpg
    IMG_20190626_171156.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 432
The 'corruption' of today's youth is a mission we can all get behind ;) To be surprised, have young people be interested, ask intelligent questions and to actually observe 'the light come on' is pretty cool. Maybe it will help offset those staring at their phones while stepping off a curb, crossing a busy street, without EVER looking up......hopefully.

Back