Dusty's SLC Build

The red stuff is the 518. The 517 is a purple color. Before I applied the sealant I first sprayed the surfaces with the gasket maker primer spray. From Loctite. With the first assembly I sprayed both half‘s of the case and the sealant stuck very well. On the second try After which I also had to disassemble because of the missed Gear, I applied the primer spray to only one surface as directed in the instructions. This made cleanup much easier the second time because the surface that did not have the primer did not harden into a plastic like film yet.

Dusty, I used the Audi/volkswagen sealing paste. The Audi dealer had it in stock and it was cheap, at least compared to the damn nuts.
Part no. AMV-188-001-02. It doesn’t dry or harden it’s still tacky.

Dusty, I used the Audi/volkswagen sealing paste. The Audi dealer had it in stock and it was cheap, at least compared to the damn nuts.
Part no. AMV-188-001-02. It doesn’t dry or harden it’s still tacky.
the 515 and 518 sealants are also anaerobic. they don't harden unless the air is gone.
I think these products from locktite are very similar but if I do this again I will use the audi stuff.

Earl Mitchell

Supporter
Dusty could i get a measurment from the face of bellhousing to the centerline of axle on the trans ,my son is building a mid engine car and needs so info that he cant find on the net thanks hope all is well Earl

Neil

Supporter
Dusty could i get a measurment from the face of bellhousing to the centerline of axle on the trans ,my son is building a mid engine car and needs so info that he cant find on the net thanks hope all is well Earl
What car is your son building, Earl?

I am back on the Slc. I have all four sides assembled with regard to the suspension components. I cut down the bolts to the proper lengths and I torqued everything down. I do have a question though. These aluminum hub assemblies could be assembled with Loctite. Are people using Loctite? Specifically some of the keyed parts on these beautifully machined billet suspension components could be assembled with locktight. Are you all doing that?

I am also looking at these coil overs and although they all seem pretty tight there is a very small amount of clunk to some of them due to the Heim joints on the shock towers. I imagine there’s going to be clunking which is standard with Heim joints versus bushings. Are you guys doing anything to remedy this or do you just live with it?

The clutch assembly is all in place now and so I can drop the motor in the chassis. Then I can take the car to the builder so that he can work on the eight into one exhaust which is going to go over the top of the motor which is going to cause all kinds of problems that need to be resolved

Joel K

Supporter
Dusty, I used Red 3M Scotch Weld TL62. Heavy duty, but removable with some heat and not crusty like the Loctite brand.

My post #139 documents how I assembled the uprights.