Early 60`s gt40 cutaway picture?

Hey All,I`m new here but love the old racin pics posted for all to see.I`ve recently came across a 3D cutaway of an early gt40(looks like early 60s?).It looks like some kind of concept drawin or something but i`m not sure but it has right hand steering an only a single huge carb (possibly Holley?)any comments would be appreciated.Thanks Corby:thumbsup:

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Corby,
there's a cool cutaway drawing of a Mk II in Fords SAE papers of the design and development of the MkII GT40. That one is RHD and has a Holley type carb, so maybe thats the one?

regards
Dave

there is this one too - I am trying to find a large copy of it...

Attachments

• gt40_15.jpg
    gt40_15.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 546

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Mike,
cool, similar, MkII, but not the same car, with signatures too. Is that from a set of signed prints?

regards

Dave

I just have an electronic copy of this small file. I am looking for an original...

It appears that this one is signed - I think by a Mr. Lee Holman? can't make out the other name...

I think this was done by James Allington, but I am not sure.

Last edited:
Wow!Fast reply fella`s. Just got my system back up recently so check back by about 9 eastern tonight i`ll try an get the pics ASAP of it.I`m not sure who the artist was (not signed or marked in any way) its on a hard styrafoam board with a black border around the edges an in black an white.I was told by a few car nuts it is "Very rare" an maybe the only in existence??I was like yah right.Gotta take my kid to his moms for the weekend check back tonight.Thanks a bunch... Corby

Some greasy finger prints are on it an some of the border is loose, but is in rather remarkable condition considering its age. Corby rockonsmile

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Corby,
ok, that looks the same as this image from the SAE paper , whether that is the actual source or they used it from another source I don't know.

regards

Dave

Attachments

• from sae paperw.jpg
    from sae paperw.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 432
Dave,

What your telling me is this was from Fords archives or design room?What do you think it would be worth?Should I wrap it up an put it in a safe?Give me your input cause if its worth anything I dont want it to get damaged or better yet stolen..:anxious:.Last year I came across a complete set from Chrysler of 12 factory promo pics of the "baddest of the bad" from the factory which I sold for a nice sum of cash but not sure if this one will go on the auction block or not.Thanks Corby

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Hi Corby,
these I think are the facts I can offer you.
The picture appears in SAE paper no 670065 February 1967.
entitled;
The Ford GT Sports Car
by R.C.Lunn
of Ford Motor Company.

It is a full page picture on Page 20 as Figure 33 captioned; 'Final Layout of Components for the MkII.'
the preceding paragraph is;
'All of these changes were incorporated in the vehicles that made their first appearance at the Daytona 24-Hour Race on February 5-6, 1966 (Figure 33).'

As to what your picture is worth, well, if it is an original pencil sketch, and if there was some identification on it, then it would be worth a lot, but if it is just a copy, you could get one from the SAE paper, now $15 from SAE. I myself have an A4 laminated copy I prepared for my wall from the SAE pdf, because I liked it. The picture in the SAE paper is full page, so quite acceptable quality for copying.

So is it an actual sketch?, or if a copy what kind of print and paper?

regards
Dave

It is an original off the wall picture set on a hard board top with a 1 inch styrafoam back board.Looks to be stamped on without any date or artist.It was aquired from a former Ford employee.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Corby,

just to clarify;

- 'It is an original off the wall picture '
I think you really mean - ''It is a framed print''
original would mean that it is the very first in pencil or whatever, anything else is a copy or print.

'Looks to be stamped on without any date or artist' so what is it stamped with?

So it has come from Ford, so my guess is it is either a self made copy by an individual Ford employee, or it is one of a set of prints commissioned by Ford at that time. I suppose there are plenty of other possibilites, but those seem to be likely.

Did the former Ford employee say anything about it?

regards
Dave

Dave,Yes its a framed print.What the now retired employee told me was it was a gift when the building was slated for remodeling,it hung among other Ford pictures up on the wall of Henrys old airplane hanger which in the 60`s was turned in the Engine Garage in Dearborn.Another former employee told me it hung there when he worked on the 427CJ`s,429`s,boss 302 etc of the muscle car era.I know it hung on the wall but who had it made is uncertain.

SpyderMike,

There has been one posted off and on on eBay - I think the owner wants about $20 for it - go to eBay and search on GT 40 in eBay Motors. I had one years ago but can't locate it - probably still packed away in some of my boxes when I moved!

John

:thumbsup:

Back