EFI experience

With sloshing the major culprit many have tried to cut down on it happening. This is accomplished with gated baffles around the fuel pickup to try and sequester enough fuel until forces occur to bring the fuel back to that area. In the pic below, I have two systems at work.

P8190254.jpg

Here you see the gated baffle that swings open when fuel is shifted to the rear. It closes and tries to hold the fuel near the pickup(hidden under the front portion of the pic). The second system is the array of narrow slit baffles that slows down the transfer of fuel from one chamber to the next and cancels out the "wave" effect. All in an effort to keep the fuel level near the same in all the chambers while driving forces try to shift it from front to rear and vice versa.

Bill

@Ian,

yes alternator capacity is a topic to keep in mind, but with the current alternators on the market with around 100AMps, I guess this shouldn't be a topic ...Currently I have a 75 AMPS 2G Ford Alternator in my Tornado and it works fine, not to say it is bored :)

Swirl Pot, yes also for carbs I recommend this, I have one with 1.5l volume ..
My fuel system is setup like
two tanks (connected via synchro Line ) -> Fuel filter -> Holley 125Hp Pump -> Swirl Pot -> two lines to two faccet pumps-> two fuel Filters ( one for each pump) -> Carb

Why I recommend a swirl pot ? he, you can stuck in traffic while the nose is pointing downhill :)

With sloshing the major culprit many have tried to cut down on it happening. This is accomplished with gated baffles around the fuel pickup to try and sequester enough fuel until forces occur to bring the fuel back to that area. In the pic below, I have two systems at work.

P8190254.jpg

Here you see the gated baffle that swings open when fuel is shifted to the rear. It closes and tries to hold the fuel near the pickup(hidden under the front portion of the pic). The second system is the array of narrow slit baffles that slows down the transfer of fuel from one chamber to the next and cancels out the "wave" effect. All in an effort to keep the fuel level near the same in all the chambers while driving forces try to shift it from front to rear and vice versa.

Bill

This looks really cool, very nice idea...!
I just have conventional wash plates (right word ?) installed

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Kinsler FI have been around forever. I think they go back to the early days of mechanical fuel injection for dragsters etc- like Hilborn and Enderle. TFI cars ran systems like these, on top of GMC blowers.

I don't know whether these systems can be used on the street, though. I seem to recall that Jim Kinsler once owned an original GT40 which was fitted with one of his systems, but I don't know which car it was and which engine it had. Probably a Windsor of some type, but I'm not certain.

They also sell EFI systems. I'd have to say, they probably have more experience with fuel injection than just about anyone out there. You could do far worse, it seems to me.

As far as driveability goes, I agree that EFI can make an engine much more driveable. But I have been pleasantly surprised by the carbureted engine in my Cobra- a rather ordinary SBF with a fairly mild cam, an Edelbrock intake, and a ProForm 650 four-barrel. It starts easily, warms up quickly, and climbs ferociously to the redline. (Full disclosure, it was tuned by a friend of mine who built drag cars for decades and formerly built and dynoed drag motors for Racing Head Service in Memphis. He is very familiar with Holley-type carbs on V8s, and dialed the engine in beautifully) I don't know that this engine would run any better on EFI. It would probably use a bit less fuel, start easier in cold weather, etc. But I don't know that it would be worth it on a car which gets driven maybe 3000 miles a year.

Now, on my Toyota truck, I wouldn't have anything OTHER than EFI.

Hi Carlos

Kinsler does have this experience, I´ve seen the original car of them equipped with their system. Just call them, they are nice guys.

TOM

Back